No Shotgun Ticket Anytime Soon

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Gaz

West Mercia's Web Site has been updated once more and new grant amongst others have slipped again. The wait is now 8months. But could be as much as 12 months.

Its gone from 4-6 weeks to 6 months to 8 months, possibly 12 months in only a couple of months.

There statement from the web site is as follows.

We believe that public protection is our number one priority. With this in mind, significant steps have been taken to update and modernise our system, moving from paper based to electronic. Our dedicated staff work as quickly as possible to meet the very high volume of work coming into them, however applications and renewals are unfortunately experiencing a 6-12 month waiting time. We can confidently say that this waiting period will be reduced in the coming months.

We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Steve Millington

Firearms Licensing Manager

Please see our approximate timescales for each area of work:

Applications:

• Shotgun Grant Applications - 8 months.
  • Firearm Grant Applications - 10 months.

that's ridiculous
That's putting it very politely.  paper to electronic should actually make it faster.   It's the one area of their job that you almost feel they know they can get away with it because no-one wants to rock the boat in case it somehow jeopardises their chances and  most of the general public won't give a toss so don't care.

Bravo for Dorset then

Please note current average processing times on receipt of a completed Firearm/Shotgun application:

• Firearm grant application - 100 days
  • Shotgun grant application - 106 days
  • Firearm renewal application - 73 days
  • Shotgun renewal application - 71 days
Times are correct as of 3rd October 2016

seems to be the further you go north the worst it gets

never had a problem with Lancashire in thirty years never waited longer than about six weeks always had renewal before expiry. Credit were its due Lancashire firearms dept are excellent ?

Bravo for Dorset then

Please note current average processing times on receipt of a completed Firearm/Shotgun application:

Probably because everywhere is north of me!  :smile:

Bravo for Dorset then

West Mercia used to list times in days like this. They were "working days" though, so 100 days is actually more like 4.7 months. Not sure if Dorset do it the same but it's an easy way to make the waiting times seem better than they actually are.

West Mercia used to list times in days like this. They were "working days" though, so 100 days is actually more like 4.7 months. Not sure if Dorset do it the same but it's an easy way to make the waiting times seem better than they actually are.
I was sent a letter in may 3 months beforehand asking me to apply at least 8 weeks before renewal,i did so and had a visit 71/2 full weeks later and received my licence the beginning of the following week so roughly 40 working days  :smile:

Got my co-terminus in 8 weeks (renewal of SGC, new FAC).   They state 12 weeks for new applications, but all the stars aligned for me I guess.  Hertfordshire.

My shotgun licence was due to expire at the end of July, so sent the renewal in beginning of May just to be sure. I was issued with a temporary certificate at the end of May, and am  still waiting for my visit/new licence.

This is not a new problem, they have been seriously behind for 10 years or more, its just seems to get worse. Whats more it is very difficult to get hold of them, you can only ring at certain times, and then the lines are usually busy. In my experience emails are rarely replied to.  Shame really, when you can actually speak to someone at West Mercia they are usually extremely helpful and efficient. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect its not the people of the ground, as i'm sure they want to do a good job, but the number of people on the ground or there employers and/or hoops they have to jump through.

It does seem to be getting worse and at an exponential rate. Its very frustrating from a new gun's perspective and must be worrying for the sport as a whole.

With all the momentum gained from the last Olympics and all the good press recently. To have new guns stall at the first hurdle is bound to cost the sport.

FEO visited yesterday,told us everything was fine and we would be granted our certificates but may not be before Christmas. We applied on the first of July. Just the way things are Im afraid. The FEO told us that from a team of 11 they had been cut back to 5 staff to cover a vast area that has a very high population of shooting folk. 

FEO visited yesterday,told us everything was fine and we would be granted our certificates but may not be before Christmas. We applied on the first of July. Just the way things are Im afraid. The FEO told us that from a team of 11 they had been cut back to 5 staff to cover a vast area that has a very high population of shooting folk. 
That's ridiculous, if all is in order and no issues on the visit. Why 6 weeks to issue the certificate. They hand drawing the bloody thing!

Surely its only a couple of key presses and pop the cert in the post. You would think they would release the cert as soon as possible if all clear. If only to subtract one from the back log and improve the figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Brand New. What Police force are you under? I'm in West Mercia and applied around the same time as you but still not heard anything yet.

I have to give a big thumbs up to South Yorkshire Police, they've been superb.

I've just received my shotgun certificate (brand new grant).

From them receiving my application to it plopping on my doormat was just a tad over 7 weeks. Excellent I think!

Hello worcestershire,we are in the Avon and Somerset area. The FEO explained what happens next and why it may still take a while. It would be nice if it didnt take till after Christmas but I can wait a few weeks,no worries.

hoplite,thats impressive,well done South Yorkshire.

I have to give a big thumbs up to South Yorkshire Police, they've been superb.

I've just received my shotgun certificate (brand new grant).

From them receiving my application to it plopping on my doormat was just a tad over 7 weeks. Excellent I think!
So it can be done in 4 to 8 weeks, great news and enjoy your shooting.

So why do other regions take 10 times more time than this and why can't the drudgery be done nationally, leaving the local FEO's to do the inspects etc. This would average out the delays.

Great news and congratulations.

Latest posts

Back