News Monkey

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Les53,

It could so easily change if we educated the youngsters in schools, got them enthusiastic, and they hopefully would enlighten their parents, who in turn may take up the sport. But what real hope do we have when we have a Board who when asked a reasonable question about possible misappropriation of Association funds reply with the words "F**k off, it's none of your business".

I know it sounds like I am always having a pop at the Board and the CEO, but if they conducted themselves correctly and didn't do their laundry in public, I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

We ARE the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association and we should be proud of it and promote the sport. What other sport is there that a lady can compete on equal terms with a gentleman or child. What other sport can you be squadded with the current World Champion or multiple World Champion and receive first hand coaching and advice with a smile and for free.

We are so lucky, let us protect and promote our sport. We can and at no cost.
Yes Pete I agree! I first joined the CPSA back in the 80's and as far as I can see, little if any progress has been made in promoting our sport. Yes we ARE the CPSA, without members there is no CPSA at all. It seems that Joe Public is still blissfully unaware of what clay shooting actually is, I've lost count of the times I've had to explain it to people over the years.  Even now, many people do not know who Peter Wilson is, let alone that he recently won an Olympic medal. Even down here in Dorset, where Wilson comes from, people are largely unaware of him or the sport. We had a similar thing back in 2000, we had Fauldsy with an Olympic gold for DT and Ian Peel with a silver for OT. What did our CPSA leaders do with that promotional opportunity, well just the same as they have done with Wilson! NOTHING by the look of it!!!! I have no idea who looks after the CPSA's PR dept, but he certainly is not doing very much that I can see. Yes starting to educate school kids would be a great idea, it has been talked about for decades as we know, but what happened? Not a lot as we all know!

I agree . . . . . keeping your head below the parapet, so to speak, is not the way to promote the future of the sport.

In my opinion they should do the opposite. Be proud of the sport and its achievements. Get those people involved who, sadly, appear to wield power. For example why not get clubs to invite their MP's and Councillors for some free shooting lessons. Let them see the enjoyment that people get out of the sport, and let them see how safety is promoted as a number one priority etc etc.

Then, maybe, these people will make their decisions and place their votes in a more informed manner ?

You only have to look at Mr Digweed, multiple world champion, God knows how many times - yet will be unknown outside our sport.

Phil*

You only have to look at Mr Digweed, multiple world champion, God knows how many times - yet will be unknown outside our sport.

Phil*
Yep. And won his MBE for his charity work. Never been given any recognition outside of the shooting community. I often wonder where he would be if he participated in another sport such as cycling, a Sir at least I would think.

Mind you the thought of George in Lycra makes the mind boggle. :haha: :haha:

I think the same can be said for many other fringe sports fencing and archery for instance. I used to fence and was lucky enough to have been coached on a few occasions by a Hungarian fencing master ex European champ etc there was also a few GB fencers in a few of the clubs i used to frequent and was lucky enough to be thrashed by on many occasions so as Pete says about sports were you can play alongside world champs there are a few but not many and outside of the click there champs are widely unknown so shooting is not on its own.

I think the same can be said for many other fringe sports fencing and archery for instance. I used to fence and was lucky enough to have been coached on a few occasions by a Hungarian fencing master ex European champ etc there was also a few GB fencers in a few of the clubs i used to frequent and was lucky enough to be thrashed by on many occasions so as Pete says about sports were you can play alongside world champs there are a few but not many and outside of the click there champs are widely unknown so shooting is not on its own.
Yep I suppose we are a sort of fringe sport really. But I would bet that most other fringe sports are not under the constant threat of mis guided over legislation by a string of stupid governments!!!

Prob right there les. But that i fear will always be the case as long as the term gun is used. I wonder if a different term would separate us from what the public perception is ?

So target instead of pigeon and Something like sporting .... Something ? Instead of shotgun ?

Prob right there les. But that i fear will always be the case as long as the term gun is used. I wonder if a different term would separate us from what the public perception is ?

So target instead of pigeon and Something like sporting .... Something ? Instead of shotgun ?
How about 'weapon'?

DT

How about 'weapon'?

DT
Funny you should say that DT!!! My eldest granson used to be in the Army Cadets and I was actually having a conversation with him one day, a two way one as opposed to me talking and him shrugging his shoulders! We were talking about guns and he informed me that what he was drilled in was a "weapon", NOT a gun!!!!! So I said, OK how about a rifle? NO, he said, it's a weapon! Well at leasst the conversation was two way!!!! He left the cadets and went back to computer games and shrugging his shoulders, shame really because his Nan liked him in that uniform, stupid woman! :laugh:

Weapon sounds worse.

Sporting utensil or implement maybe :)

Weapon sounds worse.
Yeah I think so too. Utensil sounds a bit Gordon Ramsey somehow, so that won't do at all. Implement sounds kinda surgical/medical and I hate doctors and dentists, but nurses can be nice...mmmmm.... VERY nice actually! Anyway how about "clay target pulverisation instrument"? Or perhaps "clay target cartridge load dispenser"?   :hyper:

Now were getting somewere. Any other ideas are welcome

Now were getting somewere. Any other ideas are welcome
Yep, just don't mention killing, gun, pollution of ground by lead, noise pollution, pigeons, rambo, shooting, weapon, or anything that could affect some mindless idiot that wants to save the XXckin planet that he thinks we are trying to destroy!!!! :devil:

I am back in England, so look out.

Utter hog wash and rubbish, we ARE the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association, THEY did try and get a name change but were over ruled by the majority, the 'membership' .

Call out what you like but we will continue to call 'killed' & ' lost '.

It really is about time Nick Fellows and Co. got on with promoting clayshooting and instigating a schools education and training programme and a proper coaching scheme instead of paying lip service to politicians. Because at the moment despite four years in office he has done nothing to improve the standing of the CPSA in the public domain, it is about time he started being pro-active rather than submissive.   Remember, politicians are normal people who have lost their way.

If killing is a word that you hate to use, just call ' scored '  and 'lost' . But please don't spend any more money on wastage.
Absolutely spot on salopian.

A gun is a weapon but a weapon is not necessarily a gun.

Cowboys have guns,naval ships have guns,military aircraft have guns,soldiers have guns,policemen have guns,game shooters have guns and clay shooters have guns.

What's the problem,it's a bleedin' gun.

Pull the trigger,it goes bang and a clay disintegrates,nothing sinister in that.

Vic. 

Yes we all no that but Mr and Mrs public think guns are all the same as the ones depicted on tv and used by criminals and psycho.s

Fringe sport(s) is that determined by the number of participants ( there are quite a lot of shooters up and down the country mind ) or is it a term / phrase used to bracket a sport as having low interest levels to a much wider non participating (tv / other media outlet) audience I wonder?

Regretfully shooting will always appear elitist, its how its been portrayed / mocked for years and its going to take an awfully long time for that to change.

That is a good question, maybe a bit of both ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back