Newbie question about cleaning

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I do;

break down gun into 3 pieces

remove chokes.

spray cleaner down barrel and over chokes

clean chokes with brushes+loo paper until sparkle.

remove grease from forend and actio, clean action of all grime.

scrub barrels with brushes, remove any grease on blocky bit

put loo paper through on jag, then wooley brush. also make sure remove grease from internal choke threads.

regease all metal parts that come into contat with other metal parts

put gun back together, chokes in greased.

clean wood with wood cleaner

wipe over barrels and action lightly with oil

I am obsessive though!

do it after every shoot

This is what I do;

break down gun into 3 pieces

remove chokes.

spray cleaner down barrel and over chokes

clean chokes with brushes+loo paper until sparkle.

remove grease from forend and actio, clean action of all grime.

scrub barrels with brushes, remove any grease on blocky bit

put loo paper through on jag, then wooley brush. also make sure remove grease from internal choke threads.

regease all metal parts that come into contat with other metal parts

put gun back together, chokes in greased.

clean wood with wood cleaner

wipe over barrels and action lightly with oil

I am obsessive though!

do it after every shoot
Same here. Except I clean the barrels with the chokes in, then remove them and clean the chokes, and the threads in the barrels with an old toothbrush.

including "after every shoot"

Although you don't have to use loo roll.  Kitchen roll will do just as well, unless your gun has piles in which case kitchen roll will be a bit rough :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another tip is get a long match. Remove the dangerous end and sharpen with a pencil sharpener. Then use it to poke small bits of kitchen roll in all the tricky places around ejectors. Does a good job and stops the need to regularly remove ejectors. I also use it to push a bit of paper around the tricky places in the receiver. Barrel hinge pins etc.

Also if you have a Perazzi, when you do remove ejectors, the sharpened match head is a great tool for lifting out the little wheel things that hold ejectors in. Just push ejector in, then jab the match into the centre hole and lift it out.

Would cocktail sticks be any good?
In a martini, absolutely  :wub:

joking aside, can't see why not.  I use pipe cleaners to get under the ejectors on mine (Browning) but a cocktail stick with a bit of cloth (or kitchen roll etc) draped over the end would do it.

Yet another tip is get a Beretta and only clean once a year or when wet, whichever comes later.

Thanks all,really helpful UTube links,always helps to see what you have to do, Robert, I believe cocktail sticks are for sophisticated dinner parties and picking crap out of your teeth!!

Quote -  Robert, I believe cocktail sticks are for sophisticated dinner parties and picking crap out of your teeth!!

don't now what parties you go to Tuftikins, but I use 'em to pick food out of mine :wink:

You are more than welcome to practice with the club guns next time if you wish to hone your skills! (I only had 8 out today)

take out of gun case, wipe with rag, insert into cabinet. When wet as before but wipe with rag before putting in gun case as well. When shooting fibre as before but last pair stick a couple of plas wad shells up it  :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use cotton buds on the small plastic tubes to clean round all my ejectors and trap door etc (ear cleaning cotton buds) they come in very handy along with the odd pipe cleaner.

Got my routine down to about 10 mins!

- strip gun down into 3 bits

- pop ejectors out (beretta's are simple)

- if wet I leave it like this for some time

- attach 2 piece rod and bronze brush to cordless drill, down through barrels a couple of times

- drop to one rod piece and newish bronze/Galway brush for any stubborn plastic

- pop chokes out, clean chokes, clean threads with mop

- clean around ejectors lightly grease and rebuild

- wipe down with oily rag and rebuild

I only really do the full clean after a weekends worth of shooting.

(null)

Latest posts

Back