Stock damage

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Gun

Good Evening all,

I recently had my gun serviced and on cleaning it today for the first time after, I noticed the marks in the picture (they are slightly worse in real life, hard to capture). My question is would the gunsmith have clamped my stock at that point?

Cheers,

S Gun

Attachments

• 20231111_175410.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 32
I doubt that it has been 'clamped' at that point to cause the damage, but it could have been placed in one of those gun rest things, which could have caused that damage. Gun stocks are incredibly prone to marking, gun slips, cartridge belts and bags and of course gun racks can all cause stock damage.

I would be surprised if the gunsmith had done this, perhaps it has happened while you have been out shooting but not noticed it.

I did have a stock quite badly damaged by a very well known shop’s gunsmith while a u-bolt was being changed.

Took a bit of arguing but got a small (in my opinion) contribution to a new stock (because I rejected the ‘we’ll refinish it for you’ option)

That was clearly it being clamped, looked nothing like your damage which I’ve done myself with zips on my coat

I have also had cosmetic damage caused by local shop/smith. Unfortunately I didn't realise when I was collecting my gun and then subsequently was given the run around when trying to resolve it. Ultimately I ended up putting the work out to another shop who were good enough to resolve the issue.

Im now very careful who I use for servicing etc and I take pictures prior to putting any of my guns in for work.

Thank you for the replies everyone. The gunsmith comes recommended and has excellent reviews so I didn't want to rush into an accusation, especially as I couldn't be certain he had done it. I may well have done it and not noticed. Without good proof I guess it'll have to go down as experience.

Thanks all.

Looks like the sort of thing that happens when a gun is the rack and something places another gun in the adjacent spot but is being #$%&! careless. Could also be any other hard surface. It's a common place for this sort of mishap but easily repaired: Cover the affected are with a damp piece of cloth and use a steam iron to heath the damp cloth. Steam will permeate the wood and the compacted area will raise once more. Very lightly sand smooth, re-oil and it'll look as new. If there is a non-permeable wax, resin or lacquer coating, sand lighthly first, steamcloth, smooth and oil after.

Latest posts

Back