New gun malfunction - help please!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibaldib

I went to shoot some skeet at Dartford today with my new (3 weeks old) Beretta 682 Gold E.

On the third round, station 4 double, the first barrel fired but not the second. I went to push the top lever over and that was solid. I then had a live cartridge in the gun with no way to get it out. Took the forend off and tried to open the gun, but to no avail. Messed around with the safety and barrel selector and tried to push the trigger forwards. Eventually, with much advice from the squad, I fiddled enough to get the second barrel to fire

All was ok until station 6 when the same thing happened. This time I was able to break the gun. I then switched the selector to shoot top barrel first and it would not fire at all. It was also difficult to move the selector from top to bottom barrel and back.

Having borrowed a gun to complete the round I had another look at my gun and, without cartridges, set the safety on and tried to pull the trigger. This bizarrely moved the safety forward!

I bought the gun in Essex and it is a bit of a pain for me to take a day off work and take it up there from where I am, so wondered if:

a)      Anyone had encountered a similar problem and

B)       You guys had a solution

Is it worth removing the stock to have a look or should I just return the gun?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers

3 weeks old! call the dealers

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Sadly, you will have to liase with the seller and GMK.

Failure to carry out the correct procedure could invalidate your guarantee. Just a couple of telephone calls will have an amicable solution.

It is a common problem normally associated with the position of the barrel selector, easily fixed in less than an hour.

Take it back to where you brought it from. I had a problem with my 3 month old Browning and as I was on holiday had to get it sorted. It might be a pain taking it back but not as big a one as if you don't. Believe me I've been there done it and got the T shirt!!

Thanks all.

Lets hope it is just what you've suggested, Peter. 

However still not great in a supposedly "quality" gun and a pain in the backside. Lets hope Essex Gun can fix it while I'm there. Otherwise it will be skeet and sporting for a few weeks with my 28 bore. Could be fun!

Afraid quality control 'ain't what it used to be' . I had a similar problem with a 687 EELL a couple of years ago. Some of the tales that I hear about SO's would make you weep.

I know of one where the stock broke the first time it was used and another that at 6 months old the rib was falling off and the gunge was oozing out where the barrels are sleeved in to the monobloc. This gun was really well looked after as it was always stored at the shooting ground and cleaned by an instructor after its weekly outing.

Gun went back to the dealers and they phoned GMK and had a quick look inside, whilst on the phone. Nothing was obviously amiss and so it was sent back this morning. I will be without it for 1-2 weeks.

Annoying, but it is my seventh Beretta and the first that has given any trouble.

So, it's been just over two weeks since the gun went back to Beretta and no news yet.

Has anyone had any repair dealings with GMK and an approximate time scale?

Thanks

Whichever way you look at it, you've paid a decent amount of money for a brand new gun and you really shouldn't be having these problems.

If it were me I'd be making some polite 'noise' with the dealer, I've learnt over the years that its often those that shout loudest that get dealt with first. I'm not suggesting you physically shout, but a regular, cordial call to the dealt and/or GMK will remind them you are still around and on the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a few back over the years for triggers done and electors timing etc allways been 2 wks turn around

Perhaps a suggestion that the dealer should lend you something whilst yours is away might also be useful and get the dealer putting pressure on GMK?

Shooting UK has reports of quality control issues with a number of Beretta's in recent years like swarf being left in the action on assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is another reason to have a spare gun.

Latest posts

Back