Nearly ready to shoot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brand New

Ok guys,another silly question(sorry).

First gun now at home(havent fired it yet though). I have the option of a little game shooting during the next few weeks but I am really looking forward to having a go at clays.

Any advice on how I should go about starting and what discipline would be best to start with,I would ideally like to concentrate on sporting but have shot  mainly DTL when I was young.

Any advice on sensibly priced ear and eye protection?

Thanks.

start on a few lines of dtl this is THE best discipline to get accustomed to the new gun then skeet I would suggest as next step. From my experience many sporting targets can be too difficult at first and will demoralize you plus most do not replicate any bird flight i have witnessed.

what type of ear protection muff or plug. ??

I always think Skeet is a good starting point on the clays. As for the ear protection, it depends on if you prefer in or on ear protection. As a beginner, I'd suggest you go for some on ear, as you can easily pop one aside to hear what you're being told by the instructor.

If you are really new goto  station 7 on the skeet layout and shoot the low house over and over, nice easy confidence builder.

Thanks guys,will go for muffs to start with I think. Will try a bit of DTL and skeet as you suggest once I can get away from work.

Station 1 and 7 on the skeet layout would be my choice of getting used to hitting some clays. They are constant targets, unlike DTL. Whatever you do don't do 'a round' with others, as this will totally mess your mind up, due to not knowing 'the routine' etc. Start slow and build up your confidence. A plain set of muffs around £20 and a cheap pair of glasses will do to start with. Check out ESS glasses, i use these as spares for people without any complaints.

I picked up a pair of surefire earplugs - £15 and seem pretty decent. Not tried them in anger yet.

Specs I get free from work...

Try skeet if then wanting to go onto sporting but no harm in trying a sporting layout. Just get out there and enjoy.

Back