My gun goes "Bang" but its different evidently!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBeard

Someone asked me on Sunday why my gun was noisier than everyone else's.

I said I didn't know that it was and could only suggest that as it was a Beretta 682 trap gun with full and three quarter chokes that might account for it.  I only shoot 28 gram cartridges which are Hull Comp X, Sportsman Smokers, Eley First or Nobel NSI Uno Prima in either 7.5's or 8's

I asked the club expert who just agreed that it was a bit noisier and had a "ring" to it!

My ear plugs must be pretty good as I'm oblivious to my "BANG" being any different to the other guns.

Anyone got any thoughts?  Should I care, not that I do at the moment? 

I was out shooting skeet with a CZ skeet gun that has these massive gill ports on the sides of both barrels.  And 70cm barrels too.  The people I was with asked if it had 28ga tubes in it since it was so quiet !?!?!  I had had the same carts questioned as why are they so loud out of a 72cm unported Perazzi.

I have no idea about either of the comments

No made in England
In the Italian quarter perhaps ?

Robert, you must forgive me, BUT the last time I heard a 'ringing' sound from a gun was during a DTL comp., in Dublin. It was coming from the gun to my right and was a definite tinny sort of ring. After the 3rd 'change' the gun was getting noisier and I then saw that  the side rib appeared to be bulged. I pointed this out to both the Shooter and the Ref and the line was stopped. It transpired that the gun, a Shadow Indy with an aluminium top rib and vented side ribs, had rusted inside the side ribs, which had created a hole in the barrel and the side ribs were loose. This was the cause of the 'bell ringing' after each shot that he fired. (before anyone asks NO Ian Peel was NOT shooting). May be worthwhile checking the ribs out though.

Unless it is ported or the barrels chopped down to 26" or something  :mellow:  or you're using an old supply of baikal Rekord cartridges then there is no way it should be perceptibly louder, I'd do as Westley suggests and examine the barrels/ribs very thoroughly. 

loose stock maybe, just an educated guess could be talking total pish :)

Thanks for the suggestions which I will take on board.  The gun is not ported!

After the cheek piece coming loose on the 686E I shall check the stock tightness.  Usually I am like Sampson doing stuff up and suffered the consequences on a few occasions.  Perhaps I have over compensated and not tightened it up enough!

I shall also have a look at the ribs/barrels and when passing a gunsmith will get it looked at.

It must be between 25 and 30 years old!

Thanks for the suggestions which I will take on board.  The gun is not ported!

After the cheek piece coming loose on the 686E I shall check the stock tightness.  Usually I am like Sampson doing stuff up and suffered the consequences on a few occasions.  Perhaps I have over compensated and not tightened it up enough!

I shall also have a look at the ribs/barrels and when passing a gunsmith will get it looked at.

It must be between 25 and 30 years old!
Good idea to let a gunsmith check it over Robert. One thing I can tell you though is that the Southern Smokers are noisy and dirty shells as far as I'm concerned. I tried some a while back, tried them on clays and on a pattern plate, results were less than impressive! 

I have a Beretta 682 DeLuxe  presentation gun 32" barrels,  shot very few cartridges  and has always rung like a bell !

Noticeably so and causes comment , but I can assure you it is not rusting or has loose ribs.

I have a Beretta 682 DeLuxe  presentation gun 32" barrels,  shot very few cartridges  and has always rung like a bell !

Noticeably so and causes comment , but I can assure you it is not rusting or has loose ribs.
Pete, my first Miroku 3800 32 inch was like that, rang like a bell from new! Nothing wrong with it, but plenty wrong with the bloke on the trigger!  :D

I've had two guns with ringing barrels both were Perazzi.

The first had the side ribs come loose which I had repaired and I still have. The second had the top rib come loose forward of the chambers, that went into the trade and I went back to a Miroku again.

Get yer hands on some 'World Cups', after 250 of them you will not hear the gun ringing for yer teeth rattlin !     :yell:

I had a late '80's 682 that was the same way.  Not that uncommon w/ Berettas I've heard.  I also had a Perazzi MT6 that did it.  And it had no side ribs to come loose.  I thot that in both cases it was the hammer striking the body of the action but never found any evidence of that.  Mystery to me.

Good idea to let a gunsmith check it over Robert. One thing I can tell you though is that the Southern Smokers are noisy and dirty shells as far as I'm concerned. I tried some a while back, tried them on clays and on a pattern plate, results were less than impressive! 
The Southern Smokers are now all used up and I shan't be buying any more!  I have to say that I am quite taken with the Nobel NSI Uno Prima's and I can always use Hull CompX.

loose choke? 

:santa:
No its a fixed choke trap gun with 3/4 & full.

I have checked all the ribs very carefully and there is nothing loose and there is not a spot of rust anywhere.

Its probably like computer software - its not a bug - its a feature!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back