Eley First Fibre, Wad issues ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianinpoole

Bought a slab about 8 weeks ago from Southern Counties, Sportsman Gun Centre, 12G 7.5 28s

Used 100

Spent 3 hours trying to clean out bottom barrel, using Bisley bore Cleaner, Napier cleaner, 2 different types of brush and an electric drill. still a few deposits left. Looked like a layer of carpet inside !! (also left to soak in for an hour)

Spoke to guys at Sportsman, was told there was a batch issue with the wads and to try calling Eley Hawk. They also recommended "Tetra Copper solvent", this helped but was no miracle cure.

Spoke to the lady at Eley Hawk, she was  very helpful and I emailed a pic of the batch Nos and was told the local rep would call to discuss the known problem.

After a week and a reminder email, he did call, disputed the "wad theory", and blamed my gun (6 month old Berreta 686 Evo) as being "back bored" and other stuff, refused to help in any other way apart from replace the 150 I had left. It was explained the amount of time and cleaning products I had used, and the fact I still had a gun to finish cleaning.

I was offered no assistance what so ever and was promised a return call with an update on their findings. Nothing back as yet.

Sportsman who have been helpful, have new stock now and I have exchanged these plus cash for a higher grade fibre cart.

I shoot trap mostly so only use a few fibre here and there for the odd straw bailer !

So the question is, is there a miracle way to clean this mess, if it ever happens again ?

Strangely enough, my friend had a similar problem with Eley Blues Fibre bought from a recent batch.

He normally uses Eley VIP Fibre but had an issue with wads throwing out so much confetti it was difficult to see enough for a second shot at times. He exchanged what he had left for the Blues and had this massive lead fouling problem around the forcing cones in his Miroku MK38 with them. Only brute force and a Turks Head Brush shifted it and that is normally reserved as a last resort when other methods fail.

Now he won't touch Eley again.

I use a lot of Gamebore Black Gold Fibre and never had any problems except paying for them, £££!! so I suppose you do get what you pay for?   It would be interesting to see how hard the shot is in the Eleys, maybe a bit too soft?   :biggrin:

WHAT !!!!!             problems with Eley cartridges, I can NOT believe that.      :fie:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eleys have always caused disgusting mess in barrels. Something horribly wrong with the way they burn and forcing cones suffer most. The first also have awful fibre wads that break up and shower the air. Just shoot Gamebore, hull or anything else..

I've been using Gamebore velocity in fibre at a local strawbale shoot for a while now, and think they're great!

Cheap. Easy to clean gun afterwards (I heard the wad is the same as in the black golds..??), and no "confetti"!

Can't comment on the eley fibres I'm afraid.

I find fibres are all slightly dirtier nomatter what make I use eley firsts 9s now and again have never had the cleaning problem to the extent of the op I shoot a 687eell and dt10.

I've been using Gamebore velocity in fibre at a local strawbale shoot for a while now, and think they're great!

Cheap. Easy to clean gun afterwards (I heard the wad is the same as in the black golds..??), and no "confetti"!

Can't comment on the eley fibres I'm afraid.
+1

shot a hundred of them today.  Barrels no dirtier than the plaswad version and I couldn't tell they were fibre (confetti wise) with the exception of 2 shots.

WD40 and a chamber brush works well for cleaning Beretta barrels,I've used it for years and it shifts leading better than anything else that I've tried.

Lez the gent who assists me on Wednesday & Saturdays in the shop is an absolute wizzard at preping guns for sale.

Used guns often need a good strip and clean prior to sale.

We have a term that we use; a gun either has or hasn't been Lezzed!

We use Clenzoil, and a new product that we will be launching soon called Swabits, in conjunction with a Payne Galway brush fitted to an aluminium cleaning rod modified to fit the chuck of a battery drill.  

The bores are whetted out with a Swabit with Clenzoil applied, then  allowed to soak for 10 minutes or so.

The motorised brush is then passed through the bores a few times at a moderate speed (I've never actually measured the rpm).

The bores are then dried out with a clean dry Swabit and visually inspected.  If needs be the process is repeated.

Other Swabit products and Clenzoil are used to clean other nooks and crannies of the gun.  The Swabits are washable and re usable.  I'm currently working on the webpage and UK prices.  The stock is currently in transit from the states and special adaptors for UK cleaning kits are being produced in the Norgas workshop.

I'll post more info when we are ready to rock and role.  In the meantime Lez will continue to be amazed and wondering why he never invented Swabits and how did he ever manage without them.

webber

Could this be the same as the problem I posted about recently? I have been using Eley Olympic Blues (They have stopped making the old Blues now) and my forcing cones are a nightmare to get clean. 

Perhaps a different cartridge is called for?  

Very interesting comments, I do think my feet will be showing the vote now and a move over to RCs.

Been using some 2s and been very happy with them, felt quite a bit smoother than Olympics !

Anyway back to the garage for another cleaning stint !! Gonna give the WD40 a try.

Getting a bit awkward now with wifey, all this, "gun cleaning" !! On my own in the garage !

Very interesting comments, I do think my feet will be showing the vote now and a move over to RCs.

Been using some 2s and been very happy with them, felt quite a bit smoother than Olympics !

Anyway back to the garage for another cleaning stint !! Gonna give the WD40 a try.

Getting a bit awkward now with wifey, all this, "gun cleaning" !! On my own in the garage !
Simple........... get her to do it...

now, where's that tin hat....

Are you Guy's sure that you are not using Black Powder cartridges ?  I use nothing but Hull Superfast and NEVER have any problems in any of my guns. One sweep through with the bronze brush and the same with a Napier Superclean patch, job done. I have not had any forcing cone fouling since using these cartridges. Remember incorrect storage will make a cartridge shoot 'dirty'.

Will try the Superfast, any one know where you can purchase "Down South" nothing in Waitrose or John Lewis !

Always stored inside house so 20 deg and 50% humidity ish !,, nice n cosy !

Kept wifey incorrectly once she didn't come out "dirty" !!

I have shot Eley Olympics for 4/5 years and they suit me...... BUT since the new green box's called Olympic Blues have now taken on what a 

night mare ....! all green box's from 21's - 28's terrible .....!

Any one that shot the Bretta this year and used the Olympics must of found problems cleaning there barrel's.......!!

I now am shooting the new express power red's, I must say what a cracking killing cartridge 27g and all singing and dancing.....!! :)  

That's it! I'm swapping back to Gambore :good:
on are corporate shoots in one season we would normally clear 80,000 + Eley's this year we had no choice than to change to Hull....!!

at the end of each day we have to clean all customers guns.. its was taking 35 minuets per gun with the Eley''s and some of the older steel lined

barrels we had to hand back and advise the customer to visit his local gun dealer...! not ideal situation to be presented with....... !!

Latest posts

Back