Multichokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessarily. Look at them just as a tool that lets you set the gun to a certain cartridge that  you just got for a very good price.

Multi's can also redeem a gun as well, 

In 1968 the late Bob Braithwaite (R.I.P), had his Browning regulated to shoot the eley 36gm shells for Mexico, this was good as he proved, then as time and shot charge was reduced, the gun was not patterning well with modern ammo, so he had the bottom barrel choked, so that it was again throwing a pattern as required with different shells....

1/4 & 1/4  from the the time I started. Will put in a 1/2  for along one. But that is rare. Having saying that I am not very good.

Damon
In that case I would stick with the 2 x 1/4's and NOT follow Will's example of using  1/2 on a long one !

The last 2 Olympic trap gold medalists used multichokes in the bottom barrel. Kosteleki who won in 2008 has I believe said thatl  it gave him the  matching choke with cartridge if his normal brand isn't available in a country.   The last one used Gemini chokes in his Perazzi. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant be swayed on this, multis will never be on my to do list. Have had a couple only because the gun wasn't available fixed, neither lasted long I hate them. End of

I cant be swayed on this, multis will never be on my to do list. Have had a couple only because the gun wasn't available fixed, neither lasted long I hate them. End of
A bit like the Side by Side then eh,   ?????????

Muller u1 and u2 for me never changed them since they have been in. i think they are stuck now

This has just reminded me to check that the chokes will come out of my Cynergy...maybe had half and half in there without taking them out for a few years!

to clarify I am a simple man I do not like to many things to have to decide on or think about. If its adjustable I will constantly adjust it if its changeable I will change it. Also I am a traditionalist and prefer the clean lines of a fixed choke none adjustable stock gun.

My next gun will have multi-chokes.

I am happy to leave them as they are during a shoot, but there are two places I go where close birds prevail, and open chokes are a better bet. Another has some distrant stuff, so I would prefer the option to close up a bit.

And on practice days a fairly sever choke can be an aid to working out where you're missing - or should I say "only just catching the edge"

ruddy philistine and your a sbs man, shame on you ?

to clarify I am a simple man I do not like to many things to have to decide on or think about. If its adjustable I will constantly adjust it if its changeable I will change it. Also I am a traditionalist and prefer the clean lines of a fixed choke none adjustable stock gun.
sorry ips i got multichokes and adjustable comb stock but comb is set so no fiddling required.chokes i use are usually 1/4&1/4 clays where i shoot dont appear to be to far but i do like to put in a 1/2 if im shooting live quarry

Well I've had multi choke guns, but found that I just settled on a pair of chokes and didn't bother to change. except when just messing about trying shells or whatever.

I had my Perazzi MX8 trap gun Briley choked and I think it is the best thing I could have done. It was 3/4 and full choked but I found this was way too tight for most sporting targets. The chokes I chose were skeet, 1/4. 2x1/2, 2x 3/4 and full. I now believe I have an all round gun that I use for everything. I also use a combination of Fiocchi 7's and 8's depending on targets just to complicate matters further. I am very confident that I have the best combination for me and I never blame cartridge or choke for missing.

I have to be honest and say my default choking is 1//2 x 1/2 and I only change if I feel it necessary, and they pattern so well that my 3/4 and full chokes are seldom used. 

My next gun will have multi-chokes.

I am happy to leave them as they are during a shoot, but there are two places I go where close birds prevail, and open chokes are a better bet. Another has some distrant stuff, so I would prefer the option to close up a bit.

And on practice days a fairly sever choke can be an aid to working out where you're missing - or should I say "only just catching the edge"
Ah yes, sussed that one. I use the highly recommended 3/8 and 3/8 chokes that will deal with anything. If it is a close target, call 'Pull' and run backwards as fast as,     this will increase the distance between you and the target,  and thus allow the perfect 3/8 choke to pattern to it's optimum.  Some advice in using this system though, it would be beneficial to have some size 9 shot cartridges and a loo roll for the ref does not go amiss either.

Latest posts

Back