Mk 70 Vs Mk38

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpot

A bit of advice please chaps. A good friend of my wife is coming back into clay shooting and for the past few weeks has been shooting a Browning 525 which she likes. When she used to shoot some years ago, she has an Mk38 and as the 525 and Mk38 are very similar if not the same, a comfort level was found very quickly.

Now she is looking to find a s/h gun and the shopping list, unsurprisingly is a 525 or an Mk38 but out of the blue, one of the guys she knows has an Mk70 for sale which is quite new and therefore condition is good. I have no real knowledge of the Mk70 and so need a little feed back from you.

What is the difference between an Mk38 and an Mk70

What is the general opinion of the Mk70

Any bad points.

Thank you in advance.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert but I think it's pretty much the same gun. Was the MK70 fixed choke as main difference? 

I own a MK70 and a friend that shoots along has a 525. Both sporters GD1. The only difference I gathered is at the comb. 525 has slightly broader comb with less drop (36-56mm) while Mk70 has narrover comb with more drop (39-63 mm).

MK70 comes as sporter only (in different grades), while 525 comes as a sporter or hunter version (as far as I know the difference between sporter and hunter is in rib width and engraving).  

MK38 has everything MK70 has + set trigger and comes in 2 versions trap and sporter that differ in stock dimensions. Sporter has the same measurements as 525 while trap has trap forend and higher comb (35 - 45mm).

I don't have anything bad to say about MK70 it fits me fine - just take care about that drop at heel that isn't suitable for many (gun tends to be quite flat). If Mk70 is GD 1 it has a hard plastic stock cap that you will have to replace and probably shorten the stock (that will bring the position of the eye a bit higher).

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a MK70 and a friend that shoots along has a 525. Both sporters GD1. The only difference I gathered is at the comb. 525 has slightly broader comb with less drop (36-56mm) while Mk70 has narrover comb with more drop (39-63 mm).

MK70 comes as sporter only (in different grades), while 525 comes as a sporter or hunter version (as far as I know the difference between sporter and hunter is in rib width and engraving).  

MK38 has everything MK70 has + set trigger and comes in 2 versions trap and sporter that differ in stock dimensions. Sporter has the same measurements as 525 while trap has trap forend and higher comb (35 - 45mm).

I don't have anything bad to say about MK70 it fits me fine - just take care about that drop at heel that isn't suitable for many (gun tends to be quite flat). If Mk70 is GD 1 it has a hard plastic stock cap that you will have to replace and probably shorten the stock (that will bring the position of the eye a bit higher).
Great information which could be quite important for a woman as stock fit can be an issue. Thank you for that.

Phil

Latest posts

Back