Miroku MK38

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Ladies and Gents, After shooting Weston yesterday I fear I have caught the registered bug again/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif now I know I was more crap than usual (and usual is pretty dire!) and I put this down to not using the right tool for the job. Much as I love my 20 bore for game its not really gonna cut the mustard if I'm going to start claybusting again, not to mention how expensive it is to feed/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif I used to have a Browning Ultra xs in 32" and really got on well with that, wish I had never sold it! but to replace it is far more than the budget will allow. I have been looking around and have found a MK38 "Bloxham Special" that may well fit the bill. Basically they take a standard MK38 and give the barrels to nigel teague who then lengthens the forcing cones, fits thin wall multi chokes and for some reason ports them (I know why but not a big believer it actually works). Stock-wise they fit a danuser recoil system and a cheek saver adjustable comb. Whats the general view of the mk38 for reliability etc. Only reviews I can find are from Mike Yardley and to be fair I find his reviews very similar no matter what gun he is testing and obviously its not a long term test. Also as its a "special" I cant find many that have sold or are for sale so what kind of money would you guys put on a little used 2006 gun. Thanks for making it this far! Fuzrat

If you got on with the old Browning then you'll more than likely be fine with the Miroku. I can't think of a single reason to fault this particular set up. Long multi barrels on a proven action with a shock absorber, what's not to like?  I actually don't believe in lengthening cones, in the scheme of things it does nothing measurably better, the porting I can live with but it does make the gun louder. I had an old 682 ported and assure you it does reduce flip but it doesn't necessarily increase scores. Go for it, there is nothing out there as sorted for quite so little money.

MK 38 won me a European Chamipnship so I can recommend it. Ha ha.Had it for about 20 years. Tough ..... Never broken down used to be shot at least 3 days per week for the first 15 years....... Only gets cleaned if it gets wet or going away for a rest in the cabinet. Once bought you will not sell it. A grown up gun :)))))))

Great gun & great value, even more so used. Plenty of choice out there, I've recently bought a trap version. You really can't go wrong with them. Not sure I'd be bothered with multi-chokes but each to their ownI had the forcing cones done on my 6000 & there is a slight improvement in pattern IMOGo for it

only one draw back could be the porting,if your thinking of shooting any DTL i don't think your allowed to use them as the gasses,blast etc come out of the side over your competitors/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif don't know if it applys to ABT aswell?

Will have to go and have a look see at it then! I believe you are allowed ported barrels for the trap stuff, just not ported chokes. thats if im reading the cpsa handbook right/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif depends what they mean by "added barrel compensators" I would say that was barrel weights ported chokes etc rather than actual ported barrels, why do they have to make the language so obscure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuzrat said:

Will have to go and have a look see at it then! I believe you are allowed ported barrels for the trap stuff, just not ported chokes. thats if im reading the cpsa handbook right/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif
You may be right about that fuzrat,i don't shoot trap but was once shooting All Round with a mate and they stopped him shooting and told him to remove the ported chokes so i assumed it was any form of porting,i'm sure there must be some trap shooters on here who would know for sure

No ISSF shotgun sport allows porting of the barrels. I used ports on my Beretta 303. It did prevent muzzle flip on the second shot while in the duck blind or boat! But it is loud. Target shotguns do not shoot heavy loads, so I do not find the need for ports on target guns. A properly fitted shotgun, that has a bit weight will not have as much felt recoil as a light weight or improperly fitted shotgun. Forcing cone work does among other things, reduces felt recoil and may improve patterns. Each shotgun barrel/shell combination does work differently. Beretta went to long forcing cones and overbore barrels due to the American market. But, kept the shorter cones and thighter barrels for the live pigeon and hunting guns! Go figure! The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Henry Henry Henry /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif, a madman anorak such as myself should know better than fall for the forcing cones/reduced recoil spiel/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif. Recoil is the result of velocity V weight. No ifs or buts. Removing metal from chambers reduces weight hence if anything it would lead to increased recoil (if such miniscule amounts could be measured that is).It IS possible that removing metal leads to inferior sealing of wads of shells subsequently fired, meaning reduced velocity, which in turn is WRONGLY interpreted as reduced recoil as a result of lengthened forcing cones /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif, but in reality nothing contrary to Newton's teachings have in fact taken place. You canne change the laws of physics - the spurious oft quoted example of the water hose is sooooooo silly please do not expect a reply if you choose to use it. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Poor old Fuzrat only wanted to buy a Miroku!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

yes fuzrat stop causing trouble on this forum/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Hi Fuzzy.You can use ported barrels for FITASC disciplines trap or sporting and CPSA disciplines DTL, ABT, etc etc./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif

Not a bad gun at all mate, worth getting if the price looks ok and in decent Nic.

Jeez I opened a whole can of worms here/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif   Going to have a look see at it on thursday evening. I think Nicola may have seen it, the guy shot it for the first time in months at Rugby on the whirlies about 4 weeks back. hes a vet and having neck probs so shooting an auto now.I read on one of the US forums that if you wanted to shoot issf stuff and you have ported barrels just stick a couple of bits of gaffer tape over them, not sure if the refs would accept this but for the once a year I may want to shoot OT or DT (county champs mainly) its not a big problem.Quite interested in the opinions of lenghtening forcing cones, to me as a bit of a bumbling idiot a smoother transition from chamber to bore would seem to have a good case for less deformation of pellets promoting better patterns and lower recoil. how much lower and wether it would be noticable on the shoulder is another thing altogether.Would be interesting to find out wether Nigel Teague has got any before and after data from the same gun with the same shells from a pressure sensor/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif As you were Henry & Hammy, let the debate continue /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifFuzrat

WHAT........I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Wise words when I'm on the shootin ground matey, but I do like to read about and guage other peoples opinions on wether these advances in technology do actually work or are just manufacturers gimmicks to sell more guns. Reading a book about the history of Churchill gunmakers at the mo and it was a general consensus that over and under guns were a gimmick back in the late 1800 to early 1900s/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif

Back