Melanie sykes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It ain't gonna happen folks. Get real watching clay is not a spectator sport in fact even we find it boring to watch that's why no one stays to watch shoot offs. Anyway it was tried with star shot in the eighties. Accept it clay is not and never will be a spectator sport. End of.
I must be in the minority then because I really enjoy watching and did for years and years before I took it up myself but then I am the one who LOVES to pick up spent cartridges, any time anyone's anywhere!

I know Melanie personally and like her as a person. She is for the most part a normal down to earth northern lass who loves her children and given that her youngest has autism she worked very hard and with dogged determination with therapies to help him cope with his autism. I don't doubt that if she puts her mind to something she will want to achieve the very best results but as Nicola has pointed out the reality is very different from the dream.

I also do not doubt that this venture is more about her exposure than that of our sport and fair enough that's what she needs to stay in the public eye. It won't harm the sport and may make a few people curious to learn more although I doubt they will flock to try out the sport. There will be others who will just view it as another minor celeb looking for publicity and to be honest the last few years have shown Melanie in a less than sensible light - here I refer to the goings on with her tweets regarding her sex life and the stripping down to her underwear for publicity photo shoots etc. It kind of reduced her to just another mature woman looking to bring herself back into the spotlight in any way possible and that really is not her at all. I fear the more intelligent and serious side of her is not portrayed and therefore she won't be taken very seriously in any event.

Exactly. Well said. You cannot control the media and the way they will portray anything (I speak from experience :laugh: ).

Nick.....I am all for any good press....and long may it continue.

Exactly. Well said. You cannot control the media and the way they will portray anything (I speak from experience :laugh: ).

Nick.....I am all for any good press....and long may it continue.
yes Nicola, massively important that the profile of the sport is raised amongst the general public. As a newbie and someone who seems to have to justify the sport to my friends/family, I think that having someone like Mel Sykes have some publicity has helped me to do this...

These celebs don't shout about there pastime for the very same reason most of us don't and that's because we don't want it to be general knowledge for security reasons so do we really think that they are going to hold there hands up and be counted ? The only ones who will are doing so for there own publicity and that of there "supporters" can we get on and shoot now and let those with a genuine interest drift into the sport the way that historically it has.

Charlie you are probably absolutely right.

Any publicity anyone can get for our sport is marvellous. BUT I don't see the shooting organisations helping us or themselves at all.

Only the tabloid press make any use  of this publicity.

The only organisation I can think of that cash's in on celebrities is Royal Berkshire.

Clapton, Stevie Winwood, Mark Knopfler, Alison Moyea, Elaine Page, Peter Jones, Zara Phillips, Prince Andrew, Hugh Grant, Liz Hurley, ALL shoot most of those named have shotgun certificates and own their own guns. Are they CPSA members?

How many have been featured in PULL or visited Edmonton House?

I have a signed photograph of JR Ewing if they want it for the Board Room?
Looks to me like a pile of missed opportunities.  Just like in the US.  Head in the sand what if they see me paranoia.  Your organizations are just as stupid and ineffectual as the ones here, including the NRA.  Pack of totally disconnected buffoons. 

I'd like to be sympathetic, but since the same organizational attitudes are in force here it doesn't seem like I have much left.  Shooters pretty much get what they deserve.  You hide in the woods until it's too late and you'll be bent over and greased up just like the countryside alliance.

ah, well   time for the meds

Charlie

Looks to me like a pile of missed opportunities.  Just like in the US.  Head in the sand what if they see me paranoia.  Your organizations are just as stupid and ineffectual as the ones here, including the NRA.  Pack of totally disconnected buffoons. 

I'd like to be sympathetic, but since the same organizational attitudes are in force here it doesn't seem like I have much left.  Shooters pretty much get what they deserve.  You hide in the woods until it's too late and you'll be bent over and greased up just like the countryside alliance.

ah, well   time for the meds

Charlie
So what exactly is your point then geezer. I don' t see any one missing anything because a party feels like going shooting & the rest of us are not overly excited by it. :hunter:

Oh c'mon people. Celebrities 'pastimes' are geared towards boosting their profile. She's appeared on the scene and instantly told anyone that'll listen that her objective is to make the Olympic team. She must think we're all stupid!

When she realises this won't happen she'll no doubt disappear as quickly as she arrived. Not unlike Jordan who climbed on the back of a horse a few years ago then told the press she wanted to join the British Equestrian team. She didn't and quickly headed back to the pages of 'Closer' magazine.

I'm all for publicity that's giong to take the sport forward. I just don't think this is it.
I would not compare "Jordan" with Mz Sykes in any manner or way. You could take Melanie home to meet your Mum, doubtful if you would do the same with MZ Price.

Hope our Mel sticks at it and surprises her critics. 

Phil*

Oooops ....just seen it....!

:laugh:

Have to say the black bra and kecks picture looks great....!

She has a great body for her age.

Kecks :)

Ha, that's the northern coming out nic

Re- the twitter thing

Don't see what all the fuss is about what sort of saddo is interested in someone else's love life, do people actually buy this newspaper tat.

Good job no one ever sees mine and Mrs ips texts :)

So what exactly is your point then geezer. I don' t see any one missing anything because a party feels like going shooting & the rest of us are not overly excited by it. :hunter:

The point is that MS is being slagged as a negative impact when in fact the SHOOTERS are failing to make the most of a prime opportunity to gain some POSITIVE public awareness.  The very thing happens here as well since the only goal of the organizations here is to keep their own paychecks coming and that only happens if there is a conflict to engage.

A local trap club just a couple weeks ago had a Ladies Day.  Had some women instructors for the newbies, some contests for the not newbies, lotsa prizes and what seemed like a couple hundred women blasting away at clay targets.  The club had some minor publicity before and had some internet notice at dedicated womens' sites, etc.  Got the word out.  But it never made the evening news cuz nobody called them.  We don't want to attract too much attention.

that's what I'm talkin about

Should have seen some of the stuff i took home in me biker days early 80s ... shocking :)

Good luck to the lad i say

We don't want to attract attention

un quote

exactly i rest my case. Things gun related in UK are not comparable to the US sometimes its better just to keep a low profile and get on with it. Media attention IMO could have an adverse effect, what public don't know public can't moan about.

So you are not interested in trying to boost the profile of the sport and would rather we are seen as some secret community?.... Yes, I'm sure that will help the general public perception of people who shoot/have guns....amazing.

er...yes. From my 27yrs experience shooters me included do not tend to publicize the fact preferring to just get on with it. Public don't even know that some grounds exist therefore have nothing to moan about. You may choose to tell all in sundry that you shoot and have guns in the house but you will find that is not the general stance of us seasoned shooters or indeed the advice you would be given from your firearms officer. Why are you so keen on poking your head above the parapet surely you do not think that a few good looking minor celebs are going to change a deep rooted suspicion of all things gun related by our conservative public.. A degree of anonymity and discretion is the better part of valor IMO but i am old school and we are not interested in image we just love the sport and accept that its not for everyone and that its not a spectator sport and that a big majority of public would not wish up to possess guns so its better to be discreet.

Hope that clarifies for you.

Back