MedCert

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin2306

Once this current situation passes us by and North Wales Police start accepting Applications, I am considering using MedCert instead of my own GP (We don’t have a GP locally, just a medical centre that brings locums in).

Have any of you good people used MedCert ?

Regards and stay safe.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Once this current situation passes us by and North Wales Police start accepting Applications, I am considering using MedCert instead of my own GP (We don’t have a GP locally, just a medical centre that brings locums in).

Have any of you good people used MedCert ?

Regards and stay safe.

Kevin
It’s a good idea in principle and it may suit you fine although I would sound one note of caution. Some police forces are insisting the medical information is provided by the applicants GP or, failing that, a suitably qualified person in the same practice. They feel they’ll know the applicant better and be more able to provide a complete summary of any issues that may impact upon the granting/renewing of a certificate.

I’d contact your FEO and check if they’re happy with you using Medcert before you spend any money.

Thanks Jan

i will take your advice once we get through the current situation.

might even have received a refund from NWP by then.

Kev

I have a similar problem to this that my license expires in 12 weeks, doctors have had my letter 6 weeks and quoted a six week lead time for the report, chances of me getting that report is pretty slim I would say, seems a bit insensitive to ring and ask if it's been put on the back burner in the current climate, my letter is the least of their worries. Lincolnshire insist on GP report so have emailed them to ask for guidance on how we proceed if the doctors can't produce my report in time with their current work load. Will they forego the medical report, give me an extension or just tell me to transfer my guns. Will have to wait and see.

I have a similar problem to this that my license expires in 12 weeks, doctors have had my letter 6 weeks and quoted a six week lead time for the report, chances of me getting that report is pretty slim I would say, seems a bit insensitive to ring and ask if it's been put on the back burner in the current climate, my letter is the least of their worries. Lincolnshire insist on GP report so have emailed them to ask for guidance on how we proceed if the doctors can't produce my report in time with their current work load. Will they forego the medical report, give me an extension or just tell me to transfer my guns. Will have to wait and see.
At least mine is a new cert so don’t have the problem of any existing guns.

Before 1st April, NWP were not asking for a GP cert but the policy will now change so it’s now a requirement.

1st world problem at the moment.

Kev

A lot of forces are doing renewals over the telephone or on line. Maybe, just maybe, one of the ACPO crowd will realize just how much money and time that saves and adopt the system FULL time  ???

May have to go down this route myself when renewal comes around as last time my GP refused to provide the requested information. Luckily enough my certificate was still granted.

A lot of forces are doing renewals over the telephone or on line. Maybe, just maybe, one of the ACPO crowd will realize just how much money and time that saves and adopt the system FULL time  ???
If only it we’re that easy. Unfortunately that can’t  happen for all sorts of reasons.

My FAC and SC (and explosives acquire and keep - for muzzle loaders) all renewed in Jan.  As I understand it,  police are obliged to ask GP if they have any concern or objection.  My GP who was asked, then asked me for £30 for them to provide a report, but before I acted on that the renewals all arrived in the post, so i did not pay and no report was sent.

Again, my understanding  is that the GP is being advised of the application and being offered an opportunity  to comment,  rather than the shooter being obliged to provide medical evidence that they are fit and proper to hold firearms.  

If only it we’re that easy. Unfortunately that can’t  happen for all sorts of reasons.
Jan, I fail to see WHY it would not work. If anything has changed since your last renewal, then you are obliged to declare that. Failure to do so would render you liable to lose your FAC/Shotgun Cert.  So, if nothing has changed then WHY do you need another wasted visit from an FEO   ?  I have done Firearms/Shotgun Initial and renewals, so I know what is required. No change of circumstances, no visit. Some forces are already doing on line renewals, it seems to take longer to make that universal than it did to introduce the Medical letter debacle  ! 

Wouldn't worry too much, everywhere you want to use it will probably still be shut. :)

Wouldn't worry too much, everywhere you want to use it will probably still be shut. :)
Have a look at the BASC website, they are listing all the various Forces and how they are dealing with renewals, but NOT initial applications which are all on hold.

Jan, I fail to see WHY it would not work. If anything has changed since your last renewal, then you are obliged to declare that. Failure to do so would render you liable to lose your FAC/Shotgun Cert.  So, if nothing has changed then WHY do you need another wasted visit from an FEO   ?  I have done Firearms/Shotgun Initial and renewals, so I know what is required. No change of circumstances, no visit. Some forces are already doing on line renewals, it seems to take longer to make that universal than it did to introduce the Medical letter debacle  ! 
Well yes, where there’s no issues then a visit probably isn’t necessary but that’s not what you said. Your post suggested doing it ‘full time’. I’m saying that’s not possible.

They’ll always be applicants that are less than straitforward. Those that have committed offences or where intelligence suggests they’re involved in crime are just two examples, I can think of many more.

Sure, the process can be streamlined but the problem cases will always exist and will always need a visit.

I would lke to hope those ones who have committed an offence or involved with crime would have been sorted out way before a visit was neccessary

I would lke to hope those ones who have committed an offence or involved with crime would have been sorted out way before a visit was neccessary
Really?

Someone that commits a minor traffic offence is very different to someone that commits a serious assault. Equally, someone that’s committed an historic offence that may have barred them back in the day may pose little or no risk now. It’s only those with prison sentences over 3 years that have lifetime ban (unless a court overturns it).

Each application should be considered on its merit. 

That's all down there for you to put in when you apply for a firearm/shotgun. You won't get to a police visit if their checks bring something up that will bar you in the first instance,you'll likely just get a letter saying why in their opinion you will be rejected, you can then take it further if you so wish

The visit is the last thing they do, before it go's before the cheif constable of that area to be signed off, for you to get the license

That's all down there for you to put in when you apply for a firearm/shotgun. You won't get to a police visit if their checks bring something up that will bar you in the first instance,you'll likely just get a letter saying why in their opinion you will be rejected, you can then take it further if you so wish

The visit is the last thing they do, before it go's before the cheif constable of that area to be signed off, for you to get the license
It doesn’t go before the Chief Constable but other than that, you’re about right.

Back