Making your own pattern plate...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob 2705

Anybody ever done it?

I've got plenty of space to put a permanent one up if needed, or one which is collapsable, whatever suits best

Looking at first for gunfit, then looking at patterns afterwards...so it will be getting a fair bit of use hopefully

What size should I be looking at? If making a proper plate, I assume Steel plate is used? What thickness should I be looking at?

I've heard/read of people using a PVC pipe and putting a roll of paper on that, so you can quickly just put a sheet up....What sort of sheet should I be looking at which is big enough and strong enough?

Sorry for all the questions  :gamer:

Many Thanks,

James

We use a frame made from 1 inch angle iron mounted on a upright pole so it can be moved around. Then clip any paper you want to it. Make it wallpaper width and buy from the bargin bin..

In the past we used a steal plate but you can get ricochets from steel shot and even lead.

If you are using a metal back or metal pattern plate, ensure you use safety glasses and do NOT get any steel shot mixed up with cartridges you may be using. I know it's basic stuff but I have seen it done. Express do a segmented pattern plate sheet, you can shoot at them all afternoon and then have hours of fun counting the pellets in the evening.

I have tried wallpaper on our patterned plates but it just clogged up the dishwasher ! 

wallpaper and a old door or square board and a blob of dirt in the middle for something to aim at. 

Thanks all, never thought of wallpaper! I'll think of a frame or something to easily hold it...

Other possible option I've seen you can get 3mm thick cardboard which is 1.2mx1m at £40 for 40 sheets, so works out at a £1 a sheet

Not cheap I suppose but I'm sure 40 sheets would last me a while

Many Thanks

James

Yes I made my own went to local scrap dealer for a plate for my log splitter

And the leftover was about 6 ft tall by 4ft wide so erected that and just use

Some whitewash and a old paint brush jobs a good un

as said by sg roy, 1in angle on a post with a 18gauge sheet about 4x4 foot.

use a whitewash of lime/water and a roller,,and a camera or iPhone,, after each shot , recoat, works well in the sunshine !! so cheap,!

don't shoot closer than 30yards,, no point really,,

Yes I made my own went to local scrap dealer for a plate for my log splitter

And the leftover was about 6 ft tall by 4ft wide so erected that and just use

Some whitewash and a old paint brush jobs a good un

Great minds think alike !!

Thanks all, appreciate the help!

I would prefer a metal one as its just a one off cost and ready to use!

I see you say 18 guage, which is about 1.2mm - seems very thin?

Is that all that is needed?

Many Thanks

James

cost factor, hence the 30 yds,, also a bit heavy to go 14 or 10gauge   ( 2.7 mm), but that will last a long time.

I think the Express pre marked pattern sheets are around £1 each. 30 yards is OK for checking the pattern. If you are looking for gunfit, tight choke and 16 yards is preferable to determine the point of impact (P.O.I.). It does impact the plate a bit though.

I think the Express pre marked pattern sheets are around £1 each. 30 yards is OK for checking the pattern. If you are looking for gunfit, tight choke and 16 yards is preferable to determine the point of impact (P.O.I.). It does impact the plate a bit though.
Never thought of Express (assuming you mean Lyalvale), that could be a good call as I happen to be able to get it cheaper...
I'll see what I can find out tomorrow!

Apologies if you really are very experienced, but as long as you are aware that a pattern plate is not the answer to great progress in your shooting. A straight away clay is better for finding where your gun shoots as it will ensure all the dynamics of your shooting are included. As for patterning, well there isn't much of a story there really. I have done a fair bit with cardboard and proven to myself what is generally known (and ask able on here).

Basically, have fun, but if budget is remotely tight, spend the cash on shooting more instead.

Old steel sheet oil tanks are a good size to use usually.Spray with a coating of white lithium grease ,then you just roller it with a foam paint roller after each pattern.

As will said- dont get blown away by pattern plates they can very easily screw your mind.

A straight away and incommer combo is perfect.

I concur with will and ed.

Pattern plate for pattern testing cartridges, use it for setting poi at your peril.

Latest posts

Back