Looking for opinions on two Brownings.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay attention to differences and see if those mean anything to you:

- Chambers:

XS pro is chambered 12/76mm,

725 pro is 12/70mm

- Chokes:

XS pro has Invector + (titanium - that is good since those are lighter than steel - BUT - I believe you can't shoot steel cartridges through them?),

725 Pro has Invector DS - barrel contour is nicer - 725 barrel ends aren't trumpet shaped lie XS are

- Stock - both are adjustable, tho max measurements are slightly different by the drop at the heel (XS has less drop):

XS: Drop at comb 24-38mm, Drop at heel 38-54mm

725: Drop at comb 25-39, Drop at heel 45-59mm

- Trigger:

XS has inertia trigger (gun must fire 1st barrel to recock the 2nd)

725 has mechanical one (even if 1st barrel fails to fire you can fire a 2nd one)

Pistol grip:

725 has much more pronounced one - check the both nad see if one fits better

I have 725 Pro Trap now and used to have an older Ultra some time ago - both are fine with me.

At the end - after you take all the above into consideration - see if you can shoot both and then decide - anyways you won't miss much choosing either.

My Pro sport was prone to misfire. I also knew of someone else who had the same issue, even though it was 'fixed' by Browning. He changed his Pro Sport for a XS Pro and didn't have a problem. I also had a problem with rust on the Pro Sport and the barrel matt blueing was easily scratched. I've hear the action loses its colour fairly quickly although didn't have mine long enough to find out. Each to their own  and all that but after owning a Pro sport, I am glad I chopped it in....

XS pro has Invector + (titanium - that is good since those are lighter than steel - BUT - I believe you can't shoot steel cartridges through them?)
My 2015 B525 have Invector plus chokes and it does say on the choke itself both which different lead & steel choking it gives you so I would have thought they ARE okay for steel cartridges.

My 2015 B525 have Invector plus chokes and it does say on the choke itself both which different lead & steel choking it gives you so I would have thought they ARE okay for steel cartridges.
You are correct - 525 (2015) with regular stainless steel chokes is "steel proofed".

XS pro is a 2018 model and the gun itself is fine with steel, but it comes with titanium chokes, that (I guess) are not supposed to be used for steel shot...

It is an easy fix tho - for shooting steel you just screw in regular stainless chokes (that you have to buy separately) and you are good to go 👍

l love my 725 well balanced and reliable, one thing l will say about the triggers is that they are sensitive, after several years l started getting double discharges on odd occasions, but someone pointed out that the two shots were very close together not simultaneously, it was a twitchy trigger finger on recognizing this had no more problems. Incidently they are fully mechanical triggers but do have an small inertia weight to stop double discharges. 

Thanks for all your replies and deliberations. I have tried both now and am picking up my new B725 Pro Sport today.

Its a browning made by Miroku I bet using the exact same steel and parts. Im not knocking Miroku but they are basically the same.
Nope, the 525 is the same as/based on/similar to Miroku's, but the 725 is a different action and as far as I know there's no Miroku eqivalent. (available in the UK) 

Thanks for all your replies and deliberations. I have tried both now and am picking up my new B725 Pro Sport today.
That would be my choice too. I like the sound of the 725, the spec seems great. But when I tried one, I simply didn't get on with it at all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know who you're talking about and one of them told me exactly that. The alleged "mechanical" trigger still has an inertia system so heaven knows what they were playing at with that idea.

I've tried a ProSport and an Ultra XS Titanium, which for all practical purposes is identical to the XS Pro, and although I wouldn't pick either of them from choice, if I were forced to buy a £3K+ Browning I'd pick the XS every time.
Hi bud..

Interesting comment. So with a 3k budget, what would you buy? I havnt shot either, but like the look/specs of the xs pro.

*edit - Im only 3 months or so into shooting, so any and all info is good :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back