Licence costs.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost over 5 years even if doubled would not be expensive as has already been demonstrated.  Perhaps shooters should have an option to pay by instalments as I would not like to see people excluded because they can't raise the whole amount at renewal time.  You pay most other things by direct debit over a period so why not the cost of certificates?

The cost over 5 years even if doubled would not be expensive as has already been demonstrated.  Perhaps shooters should have an option to pay by instalments as I would not like to see people excluded because they can't raise the whole amount at renewal time.  You pay most other things by direct debit over a period so why not the cost of certificates?
Robert, that would cost too much to administer from the point of view that DDs are very easy to cancel/bounce.  Then the FADs have to chase payment or revoke a SGC/FAC and then visit to ensure guns have been disposed of.  At least if the payment is up front they don't have to concern themselves until renewal time.

Yes Phil I understand that but I'm concerned for those that might find the £100 a struggle in one go such as pensioners, juniors and the low paid with families etc.  I suppose its only a couple and a half of entry fees but every little helps and we don't want to lose any shooters because of it.

Could anyone tell me the cost of licensing a Mac for drive by shootings ????

Could anyone tell me the cost for protecting Muslim hate mongers ??

Could anyone tell me the cost for protecting Tony B Liar, and Gordon Brown??

Could anyone tell me the cost for policing cycle races, which congest our roads every Sunday at no income to the DVLA??

Why not increase the cost to £100 and make the licences valid for 10 years ??

What was the financial situation when I was paying 5 shillings at the Post Office and no cabinet, or home visit??

As anyone realised that all the firearms atrocities in the UK, Michael Ryan, Thomas Hamilton, Derek Bird, in fact everyone can be directly traced back to ineptitude by the Police authority. 

Perhaps ACPO ought to get their own house in order first.
You are so right Pete.

DD is not suitable for Firearms or shotgun license for the reasons as previously stated. Bit like a passport really.

You know your licence renewal is up in five years so plan ahead if you (not you personally) are that strapped.  £100 for five seems reasonable to me (and I have to pay for two!!) and probably equates to 2 months Sky subscripton for many.

You could of course set up a DD into a savings account the day you recieve your new license so you would have the funds available when its next due?? If you decide not to renew then you have some extra beer tokens :)

All this of course is subject to them improving efficiency in the licensing system. However I can't see that happening as to improve efficiency means taking on more staff which means the overall overspend will remain the same if not increase and they are looking to reduce the cost to the tax payer, not increase it. If they want to do both then the fee would need to go up to £200!!

Alternatively they could put a tax on cartridges so the more you shoot the more you contribute (just like petrol). In fact that is a great way to kill the sport completely so the government gets its way on reducing the number of firearms in circulation.

Sorry I'm drifting into Daily Mail mode.

DT

I think £50 is about right for the fairly inefficient service of sending someone out to check your cabinet who then gives the go ahead for someone else to send you a fancy bit of paper with a photo you sent them stuck to it. Where/how is this shortfall of millions generated exactly?.

Yes but remember there are behind the scenes costs such as a CRB check will be across departments so someone has to pay someone else through someone's budget. Plus possibly medical checks etc. We might not think so but plod DO or rather should carry out a full investigation into the suitability of gun ownership and i for one think that is how it should be. So 50 quid to do all that and send someone out to check that your cabinet is not made out of ply wood sounds dirt cheap to me. I bet the true cost is more like 500 which is still only 700 cartridges per year.

It's just another money making scheme!! No difference to speed cameras, litter dropping, the real culprits never get caught only law abiding middle England. We are an easy target, no I mean pigeon, oh sh*t I forgot what I was mumbling on about

Personally, I'd pay whatever they ask, within reason, and I fully understand that my "within reason" isn't necessarily the same as others.  £100 per year?  That's 2 quid a week.  I spend more on nuts for my bird feeders. 

None of us are able to specify caveats, such as if the service improves we're happy to pay more.  That ain't the way it works.  All we can do is hope that the service would improve if they had more money, but we can't make it a condition of our agreement.  Bottom line?  If they want to increase the cost, we pay or sell our guns.

Incidentally, are there any statements from the NGB's?  I'd be interested in their points of view.  I'd have a look, but I can't be arsed.  :crazy:

We do all the work, they just put it together and send back all we did on a nice bit of paper. Rip off if they charge any more!!! Maybe the extra is to help boost their pensions when they retire at 49. Then pick up another £40-50 grand a year on top when they get re- employed with the boys in blue!!!!!!!

It's just another money making scheme!!
But if Licencing is currently loosing money then the licence cost should go up. You'd be spitting feathers if the council were loosing money on something else and wouldnt charge for it. Just because you are a shooter dosent mean were exempt from these things.

But if Licencing is currently loosing money then the licence cost should go up. You'd be spitting feathers if the council were loosing money on something else and wouldnt charge for it. Just because you are a shooter dosent mean were exempt from these things.
That depends if your point of view is that the benefit of the license is for the shooter - rather than the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Malc, haven't seen you on here for a while. How's your wife getting on?
Hi Mate. Thanks for asking. She's getting there slowly. Was hopping to getting her back behind the gun but she's not quite ready yet. Looking for something light in the 20G semi auto range for her. Hope your well?

Hi Mate. Thanks for asking. She's getting there slowly. Was hopping to getting her back behind the gun but she's not quite ready yet. Looking for something light in the 20G semi auto range for her. Hope your well?
Yep; I'm fine thanks Malc. Pleased to hear that your wife's improving, hope she gets back behind a gun before too long. The new Beretta semi auto in 20 bore is a nice gun. Well worth a look.

Glos Police has alledgedly put out, and same printed in our local tabloid that this "service" costs them £210,000 more per annum over and above what they receive in fees, and they ask for it ( the fee) to increase from £50.00 to £94.00, which if all applications are for shotguns that's 23,800 certificates, (guesstimate, from thier figures)

So every 5 year cycle, income £1,193,000 cost alledgedly £2,243,000 (approx)

Hopefully one of our associations be it BASC or CPSA do challenge these cost figures when put out to the masses, did find it ironic that the report says it cost the taxpayer, that's the same applicant who pays income tax, VAT and in most instances the last time i looked at my council tax, a proportion of which went to the police,

Here in France to get my licence to shoot I pay €48 annually. This insures me and also lets me purchase ammunition and guns including 0.22lr it also lets me shoot at any shooting ground in France and makes me a member of the French ball trap shooting association (same as the CPSA). You never see a Gendarme, there are no forms to fill in, other than the club joining form, and as far as I am aware you need not even keep your guns in a locked cabinet!!! So yes you pay more but it is really just like paying your club fees. I personally think its grrreat! The only thing that is official is the need for your doctor to sign and stamp your licence, which makes it authentic.

edit I cannot shoot game without a permit d'chasse which is a doddle to get! I don't shoot game here they are nutter's and many are killed every year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back