Licence costs.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last renewal with Lincs Police took ten days and no visit,I am about to find out what it is like now as my renewal is close.

Lincs Police have let a lot of their departments out to contract and use G4S and that includes Firearms Licensing although the staff are the same as before.

My last shotgun change was done on-line on the Lincs Police website but you don't get any confirmation that it has been received so I phoned them and was told that they don't have time to send you a receipt.

Vic.
I'm covered by the same authority and all 3 of my changes have been submitted by electronic form on their website. 

Never had a receipt, but I print out the form after filling in so I have a copy of what was sent.  I think the RFD's send a paper copy in, but not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The danger, if they increase the cost too much is that they run the risk of people not renewing and then having more unregistered or miss-registered firearms floating around. As others have said, most people would support a modest rise if the service modernised, in my eyes the best way they could do this is by creating a national central system.

The way i view it is the fee i pay enables me to have a shotgun license for 5 years (the admin etc is not my concern) so to value my shotgun license i do it like so:-

365 days a year x 5 years = 1825 days in the license period.

£100 (new proposed cost) divided by 1825 days = 5.4p per day (absolute bargain IMO) 

OK so it is currently costing 2.7p but i don;t see these numbers as big expenses. I would quite happily pay what was required i get a lot form shooting and if the license cost needs to rise to continue to make that viable - so be it.

I'd be happy for them to double the fee - or even make it £50 per year if something came back in return; I'd want better service and online handling and I'd want more effort made to remove unlicensed firearms.

As others have said, most people would support a modest rise if the service modernised, in my eyes the best way they could do this is by creating a national central system.

There is, the NFLMS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Told you it would be over £100 ages ago.

I cannot believe the rubbish spoken here.

You do not make the laws to suit how fast you can get things. You make laws if they are the right thing.

As I was involved in this can I clarify for you......that the cost of the ticket should only refer to the time taken to actually do the ticket.....and not as ACPO are trying to bring in......the cost of policing anything 'firearms'.

Some on here should not bother going into politics....laughoutloud....the idea is to protect our rights and not roll over and have your belly tickled....while someone else prepares the barb wire suppository .......laughoutloudatnaivety.... :laugh:

Last edited:
I tend to think it will probably be going out of police hands and maybe in to the private sector ?? and to do this it must look like a profitable venture ?? like every thing at the moment it will be on a sharp curve upwards cost wise, add in the little news ditties "costing the tax payer £18m !!!! 

talking to my local copper he said he had so many other things to do he was struggling to get round, mind saying that have had no trouble getting mine renewed.

As for value for money I think it is about right and fair now. it's how they manage that cost,  

I spend more on chewing gum in a year.

But in the same breath it should be results driven

Northants are excellent, efficient and fast. I would happily pay double.

But failing forces need to get it right first.

Pay more money for your license and expect a modernised service....FROM THE POLICE......THE POLICE.....ha ha ha ha ha..

Sorry couldnt help myself..

I was debating this on Facebook with JB, as I said on there I would pay extra IF I was receiving better value for money. Wilts firearms (9 miles away from me) do everything online, be it gun/address change or just a query. Thames Valley (my one) still insist on posting forms registered delivery and queries you are on hold for days while HQ pass you round various departments and then return to the main switchboard.

I would be all for sub-contracting firearms licensing if we were going to get a standardised service across the forces but after G4S F-ing up the Olympics so badly maybe its not such a bright idea...   :fie:    
Yep and TVP also take your money and dont process it in time, then we have to pay for gun storage until they get their act together, I aint even going there with name and address changes, even worse. :fie:   :hunter:

I wouldnt mind a price rise to cover costs across the board even £50 a year as Matt said, I have it spare now as the CPSA have now left me over £50 a year better off

im happy paying £60 for the turnaround times i currently get. everything done usually in a week.

Got to say Surrey have been brilliant for the last 17 years I have had my ticket. Never taken more then 2 weeks start to finish, I'd definitely support a higher licence fee, especially if it improved the service for other constabularies, issue is, would the money be used elsewhere?

Agree re Surrey, very good service and I didn't have to send in my old licence just a photocopy which enabled me to keep buying cartridges as and when needed whilst waiting for my new ticket!

It was West Mercia police that started to winge about the cost of licensing and the so called Police commisioner who obviously had no idea about anything but was quite happily gobbing off to the Beeb about cuts to this and that and why should the tax payer subsidise gun users. There were figures quoted that didn't add up. I hold a shotgun certificate and a firearms license, the cost is very high concidering that the extra work created by having both is negligible. Why do they need 8 photographs? 3 referees? Letters from everyone and his dog even though I have held both for over 30 years? I have to be a member of a Home Office approved gun club (for some calibres). I am a competition member of the CPSA. Total price per year in membership alone......over £200, the five year period of licensing well over £1000. Now who said that licensing was cheap? Warwickshire Police have binned their enquiry officers, so should the price of a certificate/license in Warwickshire fall accordingly as we are no longer paying 6 peoples wages? Sorry but the whole thing is total nonesense, but watch the band waggon jumpers start a stampede.

No it isn't!!!! Discussions still  go on, which is why we still have a commisioner and so do they. All Firearms enquiries are dealt with at Leek Wooton (Warwickshire) nothing as yet has changed, only as a paper sharing operation. Wether a combination will go ahead is anyones guess. The Fire Service rejected it!! Warwickshires Chief constable has just been given another 2 years contract. Eventualyy something might happen, but discussions with Herfeord and Worcester, West Mercia, Gloucestershire and Leicestershire still go on.

You might only pay £50 for the licence but we all pay a fortune to the Police via our Council Tax.  The guys who've come to inspect my cabinet etc. have generally been retired police officers who I've contacted via their mobile phones, rather than regular P.C.s

£75 would seem reasonable to me, when was the last time it went up ?

It can cost you upwards of £75 to call a plumber out without the work (call out fee) so what's all the moaning about.  :crazy:  

Back