Lesson With Ben H

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

I managed to have a lesson with Ben Husthwaite the other day up at Kibworth. Thought I would write a little review.

Upon meeting Ben we had a cup of tea and discussed my shooting as a whole and what my goals were. We went over which cartridges and gun I used and I pointed out I wore a patch over the left eye and a few other minor details.

After 10 minutes or so I then got kitted out and we went to a workshop area where I dry mounted my gun a few times. Ben then made some small changes to my positioning as well as moving some weight further back on my gun and also changing the pitch as I had mentioned that I suffer from a bit of recoil and normally use 24g cartridges because of this.

We then went and shot a few clays, starting with simple going away and a couple of crossers.

We discussed technique and pre shot routine then had another break where Ben planned out on paper certain tips and techniques. We then returned and shot various targets using the methods Ben had gone over.

Ben has a very easy way of getting his point across and I managed to break plenty of my bogey birds using his methods. I also broke targets that didn’t feel right which he had me shoot over again the “correct” way; this put me in control of the target and so improving consistency. On more than one occasion I broke targets so easily that I couldn’t quite believe it.

We talked a lot about the mental side of the game, which gave me much to mull over.

Overall I enjoyed the lesson immensely and will definitely book more, now just have to practice all that I learned. I would like to think I came away with a method of shooting that will provide some consistency. Ben did point out however that it would take some time to reprogram some of my bad habits.

I managed to have a lesson with Ben Husthwaite the other day up at Kibworth. Thought I would write a little review.

Upon meeting Ben we had a cup of tea( other beverages and soft drinks are available if required) milk and sugar were on the table and discussed my shooting as a whole and what my goals were. We went over which cartridges and gun I used and I pointed out I wore a patch over the left eye and a few other minor details.

After 10 minutes or so I then got kitted out and we went to a workshop area where I dry mounted my gun a few times. Ben then made some small changes to my positioning as well as moving some weight further back on my gun and also changing the pitch as I had mentioned that I suffer from a bit of recoil and normally use 24g cartridges because of this.

We then went and shot a few clays, starting with simple going away and a couple of crossers.

We discussed technique and pre shot routine then had another break where Ben planned out on paper certain tips and techniques. We then returned and shot various targets using the methods Ben had gone over.

Ben has a very easy way of getting his point across and I managed to break plenty of my bogey birds using his methods. I also broke targets that didn’t feel right which he had me shoot over again the “correct” way; this put me in control of the target and so improving consistency. On more than one occasion I broke targets so easily that I couldn’t quite believe it.

We talked a lot about the mental side of the game, which gave me much to mull over.

Overall I enjoyed the lesson immensely and will definitely book more, now just have to practice all that I learned. I would like to think I came away with a method of shooting that will provide some consistency. Ben did point out however that it would take some time to reprogram some of my bad habits.
How long did you get with him and what's the rough cost ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavin had half a day and the improvements were drastic, for info please contact me through my website or Facebook fan page, www.benhusthwaite.com

Ben

Ok will do nearer the time.

My housekeeper is wanting to spend a day or two at Kilworth House so I need to do something whilst she has the Spa, though I may need one after that drive.

Hint* when someone's as good and high profile as Ben, they are in demand, if you leave it to nearer the time........you could very well be disapointed.

I'm just in the middle of talkin with Ben to see if he will spare some time,

As the mental game is such a large part of shooting.

I'm just in the middle of talkin with Ben to see if he will spare some time,

As the mental game is such a large part of shooting.
Or we might see you on one of our Masterclass Days, where we cover both the mental and the technical - don`t forget to get your free handbook from me if you have not got one already?

Latest posts

Back