Left handed confusion...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I laughing at this thread because through my own stupidity I just bought a left handed 725, problem is I’m right handed! I’m kicking my self gun is in great condition and was a very good price. Should always listen to my mum “when it seems to good to be true”.... .

trying to decide if I should sell it or learn to shoot left handed.

I laughing at this thread because through my own stupidity I just bought a left handed 725, problem is I’m right handed! I’m kicking my self gun is in great condition and was a very good price. Should always listen to my mum “when it seems to good to be true”.... .

Sell it,

Before you decide to learn to shoot left handed , consider that you very probably have a dominant right eye .  That combination is at best a recipe for frustration and inconsistency and at the worst an unmitigated disaster .  

• Thanks
Reactions: ips
Before you decide to learn to shoot left handed , consider that you very probably have a dominant right eye .  That combination is at best a recipe for frustration and inconsistency and at the worst an unmitigated disaster .  
Yes and that, good point martyn 👍

Ok so I am right eye dominant so remind me is a left handed gun going to be worse or no different for me?

Ok so I am right eye dominant so remind me is a left handed gun going to be worse or no different for me?
It's less about the gun, than the shoulder you shoot it from, though obviously cast will make a difference.

If you are truly right eye dominant, then shooting left handed will mean that you will tend to shoot in front of L2R crossers and behind R2L crossers.

It is certainly possible to correct this, but the methods available don't work for everyone.

If you are able to shoot right handed, it may well be easier than correcting cross dominance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly off topic, I taught my kids to shoot left handed as well as right should they ever need to. My Regiment insisted everyone could shoot both handed (rifle) prior to the introduction of the SA80 which ejects into your face fired left handed. It's a tactical thing for those wondering.

Anyway, back to shotguns, somedays when shooting with my son we have left handed days only. Ok so we don't do as well but it's interesting to do this occasionally to be completely confident in gun handling and also know how the gun, but more directly our bodies and sight react to this.

A little warning, if you're thinking, hmm, I'll try it. Carefully does it, mount wrong and I  need to tell you. Bruisey bruisey.

Always shoot off your master eye - if yours is your right do not try to shoot left handed.

If your left eye is master then yes learn to shoot off your left eye but I believe yours is your right.

You may be better buying a right handed stock & forend (to match) and getting that fitted, and then selling the LH stock - you may get your money back if it has a LH palm swell.

Going back to original post, my experience of Browning (and Miroku) is that the stocks are quite straight (maybe only a 5mm cast). There do not make very many left handed stocks (certainly much less than Beretta) and true factory stocks are very hard to find and even then have limited cast and often no palm swell. It is possible to shoot a RH gun but not good long term - I can say this as a lefty. Alot of the second hand guns are RH which have had the cast changed. They do not have palm swells.

Justin which model 725 did you get?

I accompanied a 'Lefty'  to buy his first gun, a Miroku MK38. He tried 4 left handed guns and settled on a right handed gun, which quite honestly was the best fit of some 8 or 9 guns. Looking at all of them,  there was no discernible degree of cast in either direction on any of them.  All of these guns were new.

Slightly off topic, I taught my kids to shoot left handed as well as right should they ever need to. My Regiment insisted everyone could shoot both handed (rifle) prior to the introduction of the SA80 which ejects into your face fired left handed. It's a tactical thing for those wondering.
Coincidentally, saw a YouTube paintball vid where they followed some ex special forces bloke who did that and he wiped the floor with the others! Huge advantage was being able to tilt round doors from either direction with maximum safety coverage. Very impressive. 👍

Coincidentally, saw a YouTube paintball vid where they followed some ex special forces bloke who did that and he wiped the floor with the others! Huge advantage was being able to tilt round doors from either direction with maximum safety coverage. Very impressive. 👍
Yes that's the way I was taught and in my time taught others. One of the reasons, also on patrol you can have the right flank with the gun pointing out to the right (correct direction) it can save a mili second which can be a life.

Latest posts

Back