Laminate stock

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTC3

I'm in the process of having a laminate stock made for an air rifle, and it got me thinking about using the same material for a shotgun stock.

I think I've seen photos of a couple of them (I say think as I don't know if it was actual laminate or clever airbrushing) but not found much detail onlineonline other than for rifles and airguns. I would suspect the material is more stable than standard walnut and probably cheaper, so other than aesthetic considerations, is there a reason it's not used more readily?

Thanks

I think the main reasons are that they are heavier and not bendable like real wood. I had a thumb hole version made for a semi once and think they look kind of cool.

Iv had the same thought not long ago and the only reason people could give me was that shotgun stocks tend to be bend to fit more often than rifle and laminate can't be adjusted once made. 

sportsmanexeter-9339-4.jpg

Winchester Select Energy

Would love to see how it goes for you. Keep us informed 
It's not started well. The guy making the stock for my airgun does it as a hobby, and while he turns out a fair number each year - waiting list is 20 weeks! - he doesn't have an SGC so won't take this on.

I'll start looking into stockers... I have a note on my desk saying Peter Godfrey might be someone to speak to about stocks, can anyone confirm, or suggest someone else?

Thanks!

Most K80's are now laminated, particularly those directed at the U.S. market where oiled woodwork is almost non existent.

The advantage is they're waterproof and maintenance is easy. The disadvantage being repair is very difficult without stripping the lacquer and that's both time consuming and potentially expensive.

Laquered guns were a rare sight a few years back, now I reckon probably 70% of guns I see are lacquered.

My Son-in-Law's, Brother-in-Law and his young son are competition air gun shooters at an air gun club in Maldon Essex, I know he and a member or two of the Maldon club make their own stocks of the type above, perhaps it might be worth getting in touch with a club nearer to yourself to make inquiries.

Thanks MrLot, it's a good idea, and in fact how this got started, but sadly the guy making my airgun stock can't/won't take on a shotgun project. I'm now looking for someone else to take it on.

Don't hold your breath BTC3, but I will see if I can find out if Steve (inlaw/outlaw) can point you in the right direction.

That would be very kind of you, but please don't put yourself to any trouble.  I'm going to have a chat with a couple of the local Gunsmiths and see what they propose.

Back