Key safe

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Hey folks. I'm looking for recommendations on key safes for your cabinet keys. Alternatively Any to be avoided?

Cheers

Why have a key safe? Seems highly insecure to me as all the bad guys have to do is take your key safe out to their van, cut it open and bingo! they can get at the guns.

I've always thought hiding the keys is the best plan as surely no thief wants to to waste time searching. Just pick somewhere better than a desk drawer.

No, because IF the safe is found, it still can't be opened.

I know with enough effort and time any safe could be forced, but I'm looking to protect against casual investigation. And ill feel more comfortable knowing the keys are locked up.

ill feel more comfortable knowing the keys are locked up.
Which is entirely fine.

But, my view is slightly different in that there are very few, like virtually zero, burglars or opportunist thieves who would risk prison time by stealing guns and trying to flog them down the pub. It's the small number of career villains who go after guns and there's very little any normal householder can do to stop them.

I think that's why it's not even a specific legal requirement to keep guns in a safe - despite what the police might tell you. I keep my guns in a safe to please the police not because I have to, and they're quite happy that he keys are safely hidden.

I don’t think you’ll find many people who do this so you might struggle for responses/recommendations.

There’s nothing wrong with choosing to use one in my opinion and if I remember rightly from another post your partner had some undefined nervousness around you having a gun in the house, and this would likely add another layer of assurance there too.

One thing I would say is make sure the box is also hidden and out of sight. It’d be utterly pointless having the safe or lock box close to the cabinet or easily found as it just paints a big bullseye. (I actually know someone who mounted a keypad lockbox to the side of their gun cabinet….) 

I don’t think you’ll find many people who do this so you might struggle for responses/recommendations.

There’s nothing wrong with choosing to use one in my opinion and if I remember rightly from another post your partner had some undefined nervousness around you having a gun in the house, and this would likely add another layer of assurance there too.

One thing I would say is make sure the box is also hidden and out of sight. It’d be utterly pointless having the safe or lock box close to the cabinet or easily found as it just paints a big bullseye. (I actually know someone who mounted a keypad lockbox to the side of their gun cabinet….) 
Thanks Ant. You are correct regarding my wife's unease. But this isn't just for her peace of mind, but mine too.

I'll also get to feel like a secret agent with a multi layer security protocol to access the gigglesticks. 

Why have a key safe? Seems highly insecure to me as all the bad guys have to do is take your key safe out to their van, cut it open and bingo! they can get at the guns.

I've always thought hiding the keys is the best plan as surely no thief wants to to waste time searching. Just pick somewhere better than a desk drawer.
You could say the same thing about the gun cabinet, my key safe is hidden away from the gun cabinet and secured to the wall the same way.

The police FAO around here when checking your security like the gun cabinet fixed in such a way that it's difficult to be able to lever from the wall, in their experience that's how most guns are stolen, the whole cabinet is taken 

Hey folks. I'm looking for recommendations on key safes for your cabinet keys. Alternatively Any to be avoided?

Cheers
Have a look at the police preferred Supra C500 key safe. Used by hundreds of care services across the country and mounted on the outside of many properties to allow care workers and emergency services fast access.

You just need to make sure your keys will fit in the compartment.

https://keysafe.co.uk/products/police-preferred-key-safe/c500-keysafe.html

I just use a decent combination padlock to shackle the keys together. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. I'll give the Supra a look and see if my keys will fit.

I’ve got the Supra . The FEO asked for a key safe to be fitted  for the safe holding sec 1 ammo and bolts ( the main safe is combination) . I think the objective is less to do with hiding them from a thief , and more to do with preventing anyone else in the household having access to the keys . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back