Is your gun a tool or something you worry will get damaged?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice choice to have 😃 .  What scope is going on ? Also are you allowed to have sound moderators in the Netherlands. They’re pretty  much fitted to every rifle in the U.K. 
No moderators here unless you are employed as custodian of government wild-reserves. That’s probably all of six people in the entire country. Its weird how strictly they are regulated, as they’re legal in Germany, France, the UK (not sure about Belgium) but apparently our government considers those who care about not perturbing wildlife and protecting ones’ hearing as would-be-assasins. Go figure. 

Scope wise I am not yet sure. I have set up for driven (either K-dot or S&B 1,25-6) but still considering options for anything up to say 12x. I want something light, compact and really good in low light. If you have an idea, send me a pm.  

I’ve followed up on the wooden stock. I’ll be taking care of it after use, that’s for sure :)   

No moderators here unless you are employed as custodian of government wild-reserves. That’s probably all of six people in the entire country. Its weird how strictly they are regulated, as they’re legal in Germany, France, the UK (not sure about Belgium) but apparently our government considers those who care about not perturbing wildlife and protecting ones’ hearing as would-be-assasins. Go figure. 

Scope wise I am not yet sure. I have set up for driven (either K-dot or S&B 1,25-6) but still considering options for anything up to say 12x. I want something light, compact and really good in low light. If you have an idea, send me a pm.  

I’ve followed up on the wooden stock. I’ll be taking care of it after use, that’s for sure :)   
Light, compact and really good in low light... not an easy task. To work very good in low light big lenses are needed. But a scope with a 56 front lens is usually heavy.

Perhaps a S&B Zenith 3-12x50 is a good compromise.

Guns are like cars, some people can keep them pristine without seeming to try, others try but manage to knock and ding at every opportunity. You can bet your bottom dollar I'm more worried about the Perazzi in the field than I am the cheap sxs, but not taking basic care is wasteful. And if you have the money and your goods are consumable, good for you. 

It was really nice to be out in the field with the sxs. Relaxing. Not worrying that I was going to lose my footing and fall on my slip and lose thousands of pounds. 
What sxs you got and what was you shooting with it ??

Sxs are proper guns.....just saying 😁

A proper gun for proper poseurs  - like, y'know, the tweedies with the tassels on their stockings  :hunter:

So you've gotten rid of everything but the SxS then?

A proper gun for proper poseurs  - like, y'know, the tweedies with the tassels on their stockings  :hunter:

So you've gotten rid of everything but the SxS then?
Haha

And

Err, no... but for the type of shooting I now do if I could only have one it would be the SxS 👍

Garters actually , not tassels , it’s tradition and actually practical , the sock goes over the breeks buckle and the garter tied over stops it from falling down  . 

Personally I’ve tried the modern American look over here  , but when I turned up on a driven pheasant day in a Dodge Ram with a dead deer on the bonnet , put a Hi-Viz  traffic vest over my Camo suit , and started stuffing 3” magnum shells into a semi-auto , one of the other guns , a doctor , had me sectioned under our Mental Health laws … 

Last edited by a moderator:
Garters actually , not tassels , it’s tradition and actually practical , the sock goes over the breeks buckle and the garter tied over stops it from falling down  . 

Personally I’ve tried the modern American look over here  , but when I turned up on a driven pheasant day in a Dodge Ram with a dead deer on the bonnet , put a Hi-Viz  traffic vest over my Camo suit , and started stuffing 3” magnum shells into a semi-auto , one of the other guns , a doctor , had me sectioned under our Mental Health laws … 

I cannot tell you how distressing it is to think that might be the common image of the US shooter.  Even tho I fully realize why and how that could be.

Fortunately I've never been associated with any of that and can pass for a reasonable person in reasonable company.

My apologies to you all for what happens here sometimes.   :phew: That of course includes the small segment that tweedies and tassels and clutch Brit guns to their chests and show no shame in doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
today I shot what a friend calls my black plastic monstrosity, my back up gun, a Franchi Affinity.

I have a bunch of friends that shoot walk-up, formal game shoots, straw bailers, reg shoots etc and all enjoy themselves and between them they have a huge variety of guns whether SXS, O/U, semi, pump, moderated etc and on informal days we have a lot of fun shooting a whole mixture of guns.

But always with respect and safety.

But when it comes to formal game shoots or reg shoots the serious side emerges and traditions of dress and gun types rule.

I think what I am saying is -  each to there own as long as it is appropriate, respectful, safe and enjoyable.

Can't wait for the return of my MK38 G5 which is currently with a gunsmith having the stock set to my dimensions.

Have fun everyone 🙂

I have two sxs guns. One is a respectable George Bate, the other is a 43EM Baikal. Guess which one I took to the posh shoot? Managed partridge, pheasant and duck though.

Reactions: ips
On a practical note , earlier I said that I’d dropped a off a GD5 MK60 with a gunsmith for a repair to a gouge from a  piece of clay hitting the fore end . 

I collected the gun yesterday , honestly the wood looks like it has just left the factory . What dark arts he used to raise the dent , I don’t know , but it’s perfect .  I also had my 38 trap stripped , cleaned , and serviced , that’s come back tip top as well .

The above work was carried out by James Reynolds , trading as  ‘The Wood Working Gunsmith’  at the Thimbleby Shooting Ground.    

It good to here there are people so skilled in their chosen jobs/career/vocation.

You hear so many that'll do jobs now days, it's great to hear feedback on someone that has pride in their work and delivering an excellent result.

I wish I had not sold my MK60, but my GD5 MK38 is a lovely example IMHO.

I have two sxs guns. One is a respectable George Bate, the other is a 43EM Baikal. Guess which one I took to the posh shoot? Managed partridge, pheasant and duck though.
Brilliant 👍

Latest posts

Back