Is your gun a tool or something you worry will get damaged?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to add, but looking after anything you hold dear seems like sound advice. I do object to the ā€œdonā€™t take your gun out in the rainā€ ways of some. The guns are more than capable of handling a downpour, its the owners that donā€™t follow up with a towelling down and the odd drop of oil. As I live in the Netherlands, only shooting in dry weather would limit my trigger time byā€¦. Lots. I assume the UK isnā€™t much different. So I shoot in pretty much any weather condition. Sensible care is all it takes to keep guns in working order and looking fairly mint.

I like my guns pretty and shiny, and will happily spend time and some money to keep ā€˜m that way. I donā€™t own safe-queens, but I think a days shooting is off to a good start if you smile from the moment you open the case. So for my money I prefer a gun that looks as smart as I can afford, and while I donā€™t worry about it, an unnecessary ding or scratch would certainly irritate me plenty. At the same time, they happen so I do get over them. They can work as souvenirs, but I have yet to master that.Ā 

Great topic, as I have been fretting over a sensible choice for a composite stocked bolt-action versus a lovely wooden stocked thing of beauty. You all have helped me make up my mindĀ šŸ˜
So which will you get a wooden or composite stock?

The sensible choice would be the composite stock - no worries about scratches from fence posts, rusty nails in tree stands and the like. Its a newer gun at that. Butā€¦ I prefer the older switch barrel system of the wooden stocked gun and its just looks so much better. My money is likely going towards pretty. Ā 

Reminds me of something Peter Allis said while commentating on the golfĀ  Masters.Ā Ā 

He was talking to a player about if he had a standard club selection or something different.Ā  The told him he took 2 drivers around the course. One that he hit straight and a "hooking" one.Ā  Ā He said at least that's what I though he said. šŸ˜‡

Guns are like cars, some people can keep them pristine without seeming to try, others try but manage to knock and ding at every opportunity. You can bet your bottom dollar I'm more worried about the Perazzi in the field than I am the cheap sxs, but not taking basic care is wasteful. And if you have the money and your goods are consumable, good for you.Ā 

It was really nice to be out in the field with the sxs. Relaxing. Not worrying that I was going to lose my footing and fall on my slip and lose thousands of pounds.Ā 

Just a tool to me. Iam currently using a 1984 Beretta 682 trap X it's got marks in the wood and some rust on the barrels I clean the old grease off and regrease the knuckle every month and that's about it. I've never cleaned the barrels.

Having bought my 694, today I bought a new gun slip for it. I bought the one with the best padding the shop had, only cost Ā£30 but will give the gun protection whilst Iā€™m carrying it etc. yes I am OCD about keeping my stuff niceā€¦..

Latest posts

Back