Is clay shooting a 'sport'

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinker bell said:
It most certainly is and at the high level it is played for a massive amount of cash. Omar Sharif was a well know player.

Just goes to show...that the sport can be viewed differently depending on what level you play that particular sport at.

All sports have serious competitors and all sport have those folks who just play it for fun..........and that my friends is where we get the different opinions on what a sport is......dependent on whether you are a serious player or not.

To the serious player it is the number one focus in their life.....to the hobby player it is just like a few rounds of arrows with a pint on a Saturday night.

Neither is better than the other....and they all have their place in the world......the only important thing is that you can enjoy your....hobby sport or your competition sport.

Hope that helps :wink:
My sentiments exactly nic as stated in my earlier post. Anything and everything CAN be a sport if you are competitive at it.

Note

My list was just for fun if running and jumping about floats your boat and you compete against other runny jumpy folk then it's a sport.

Hmmm the element or degree of competitiveness or the size of the prize purse does not necessarily make a sport.  Business is competitive, sometimes directly and overtly so, but that is not a sport.

I would have to disagree that poker is a sport, admittedly that is solely based on my individual arbitrary measure.  Without doubt it is fiercely competitive and there are professional participants who make their living from it, but that doesn't make it a sport in my book.

I think that a sport does need to have an element of physical effort and there also needs to be some sort of variable dynamic around that physical effort, i.e. something that is not always entirely predictable.  There does also need to be an element of challenge, whether that is competitor versus competitor, or competitor versus an obstacle.

I do agree that regardless of whether it is a game or a sport, neither is superior to the other, just a different set of skills and attributes involved in participation.

Ninjas or otherwise I stand by my view, poker is a competitive game and most certainly not a sport :)

Even if it were ninjas playing poker it would still not qualify as a sport.  If poker can be classed as a sport that does mean computer gaming would have to be considered the same and that would be an affront to sporting decency.

You're totally correct however saying that everyone's view is different, but I can be content that mine is wholly accurate on this occasion :D

Is participating on this forum a sport then?

There's certainly some world class point scoring that goes on...

Feckin spell check..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I like this idea - mine of course

Sport - any organized activity that has some generally recognized rules governing its process that has something dying as a goal.  May have as few as a single participant.  Sports can also be games with more rules and more participants competing against each other to kill things

Game - anything else.

Is running a sport? it's just a form of getting from a-b quicker than walking! Look at it, how did running come about? man wanted food, to get food man had to run!

Is cycling a sport? cycling was a form of commuting since the 1890's easier and quicker than walking!

So many debates could be had!!

Well done will. Excellent start to a total thread drift :)

"In the eyes of a true gentleman there are only three sports; Hunting, Shooting & Fishing; all the rest are mere games!"

webber

Could those who think it not a sport tell us what we should call it ?
Could all those who think it is not a sport please go back to the piss poor school they attended and try harder to understand deffinition/understanding of the word Sport!

I remember there was some talk of whether Darts is a sport or not on the PDC coverage and Phil "The Power" Tailor said " Well it is according to the taxman, otherwise he owes me a lot of money!"

Back