Is clay shooting a 'sport'

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in. I had a meat and potato for me lunch :)

I honestly did

For me there are graduations of Sport.

All sports include competition, a level of concentration as well as skill and some level of physical effort. So to me, darts is a game. 

"Higher" levels of sport also require specific physical attributes, and some degree of risk. 

So, in my estimation, Shooting is a sport but sports such as F1 Racing; Gymnastics or Skiing are at a higher level - ie far more risk/physical effort and very specific physical attributes are required to compete. 

Yes its a sport, as it is clearly a competitive test of one humans physical abilities versus others in competition; requiring co-ordination, timing, spacial awareness, muscle learning, visual skills and similar. Many sports require skills similar to shooting PLUS fitness / strength prowess. Some sports do not require shooting type skills but are 98% strength and fitness (and technique). I think it is the strength and fitness part that we traditionally associate with the word "athlete" and I do cringe a bit when shooters are referred to as athletes.
That sum's up on-line gaming then so it must be a sport as well. All your points are required to compete against others on-line and it requires hour's of repetitive training. It's not physical in a way that gets you out of breath but many sports fall in to this category. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently had FIVE bloody pages on what shoes to wear for clayshooting, so am I right in thinking that makes it a 'sport' ?

DavidJ,

Oh yes it is physical, after reading a comment on here, I have been doing my wrist exercises for a week !

P.S.

I have an appointment at Specsavers next week.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia where it pretty much concludes that SportAccord, as the representative of all major sports, is the de facto representative of international sports.

Sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1 or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal-supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

If chess is sport then clay shooting certainly is IMHO!

I'd definitely say it is a sport. However, I view swimming and running as exercises, not a sport but I'm sure many will disagree with me. I have this argument with many of my colleagues..

Ok an ips list of sports that are not sports and should be criminalised for being plain silly.

Golf

Darts

Syncronised swimming

Diving

Curling

Running

Jumping

Running jumping in repetition

Running with a stick then giving it to someone else

Running with a long stick then jumping over another high up stick

Running then jumping over a child's sandpit

Running for a very short way very fast.

Running for a very long way

Lifting heavy things

Throwing a big heavy ball

Throwing a big hammer

Running then skipping like a big girl then jumping over afforsaid child's sand pit

Golf

Feel free to add your own

Ps

Did I mention golf

Fooorrrrkkkk me. I new a list was coming.

Racing round the May Pole then hitting each other with sticks.

You have not shot the Stratstone then....
Without physical exertion you are getting nowhere :laugh:

I shot it the other day and felt physical exerted too , the more I missed the more exerted I felt .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This silly discussion seems to pop up way too frequently.  Since there is no authoritative definition that is not borderline tautology you are perfectly free to use "sport", "game", and even "play" pretty much interchangeably. 

You can call it whatever you like and not be actually wrong even tho your peers may have their own definitions (which seem to be like opinions and a$$holes)

and of course this is just my own opinion   :preved:

What about bowling (ten pin) ? Has its own shoes ! Or fishing maybe . Hook a 500Ib Grouper and exert yourself for an hour or so . There are lots of 'cross over ' examples about .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ok an ips list of sports that are not sports and should be criminalised for being plain silly.

Golf

Darts

Syncronised swimming

Diving

Curling

Running

Jumping

Running jumping in repetition

Running with a stick then giving it to someone else

Running with a long stick then jumping over another high up stick

Running then jumping over a child's sandpit

Running for a very short way very fast.

Running for a very long way

Lifting heavy things

Throwing a big heavy ball

Throwing a big hammer

Running then skipping like a big girl then jumping over afforsaid child's sand pit

Golf

Feel free to add your own

Ps

Did I mention golf
So that covers the Olympic then and goes completely against what you said earlier and I quote  "its not the "activity" itself that determines if its a sport but the way one participates" :)

And as for the throwing a big hammer, it's not even a hammer! It's a steel ball on the end of a wire. I'd like to see anyone knock a nail in one of those. FINGERS!!

What about Gurning? Boiled egg eating? Essay writing? They are all done competitively. Even baking (Great British Bake Off).

DT

If archery counts as a sport, as do rifle and pistol shooting, then so should clay shooting - similar mental discipline, similar exertion, though not so sure about some of the rifle shooting. By that argument, however, and some of the above about exertion and physicality, tactical shotgun should also count as a sport - that would bring in the TV viewers!!

If archery counts as a sport, as do rifle and pistol shooting, then so should clay shooting - similar mental discipline, similar exertion, though not so sure about some of the rifle shooting. By that argument, however, and some of the above about exertion and physicality, tactical shotgun should also count as a sport - that would bring in the TV viewers!!
No doubt you mean prone rifle shooting!  I think you would be surprised at the physical fitness training regimes of our Olympic shooters.  You have to be anaerobically fit to be able to take advantage of a low heart rate, the best circulation to get oxygenated blood to the brain and eyes.  Shooters have to train for what is a marathon type discipline!

Back