Is clay shooting a 'sport'

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Tyred

Interesting debate on the radio this morning about what constitutes a 'sport' as opposed to a game or pastime, hobby, etc.

Stems from the 'on-line gaming world' wanting recognition that their participants are athletes and that OL gaming should be recognised as a 'sport'. Give me strength :no:

Various definitions being tabled as to what constitutes a 'sport'. One contributor even suggested that 'a sport is something where you need to wear specific shoes (or no shoes at all - swimming Gymnastics, judo, etc, etc). As darts and snooker do not require the wearing of specific foot ware, these are not considered sports'. Stupid argument IMO.

Another said that sport should include an element of danger so tennis and golf did not qualify and hockey was borderline. Of course football and rugby ticked all the boxes !! Another stupid argument.

The Oxford English Dictionary definition of the word 'sport' is ' a activity involving physical exertion and skill in which a individual or team competes against others or individuals for entertainment'. So that rules out Chess then.

Got me thinking whether or not clay shooting is actually a 'sport' as while there is certainly skill and competition I am not sure about the 'physical exertion' bit?

Discuss

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes its a sport, as it is clearly a competitive test of one humans physical abilities versus others in competition; requiring co-ordination, timing, spacial awareness, muscle learning, visual skills and similar. Many sports require skills similar to shooting PLUS fitness / strength prowess. Some sports do not require shooting type skills but are 98% strength and fitness (and technique). I think it is the strength and fitness part that we traditionally associate with the word "athlete" and I do cringe a bit when shooters are referred to as athletes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My take on any "sporting" activity is this ....

If you do it for fun its a hobby

If you do it competitively its a sport

So on that basis its not the "activity" itself that determines if its a sport but the way one participates.

I believe it is.  However got me thinking is Fishing a sport (thinking of the fresh water type) they have comp's, are skilful etc........... 

danny mills  ex England  footballer said sport is defined by having to wear  special footwear to compete .?   so darts snooker golf  fishing  no , he then said golf and tennis are not sports  ?    shooting to me  is a pastime / hobby ,  we certainly aint athlete's   ,  confused. com  

Any activity where you can't just turn up and win is a sport. 

I thought it was down to activities that are ultimately useful the activity is to survival or lethal pursuit. Shooting and fishing skills can be used to feed yourself etc. Running jumping and swimming and horse riding can help you run away from wolves, and useful in battles, wars etc.

Games are where you try to defeat an opponent but there is no use for survival. Football, cricket, Golf darts are games as they won't help feed/protect.

If you have no life skills and want to avoid relationships and enjoy playing with yourself while imagining that there's another person behind the profile/picture on the screen who cares about you then you are an online wa...Gamer.

Wouldn't pay too much attention to Danny Mills. When I was a school I used to play football in my school shoes every day much to my mother's annoyance. 

I don't think it is, no physical exertion required
Depends, Kevin Howland once told me if he finishes a round feeling fresh as opposed to a touch knackered he feels he hasn't concentrated or given his best.

I think if you look at a lot of top end shooters, very few could be honestly classed as athletes...

Concentration could/should knacker you. But in that respect those Internet gamers will be concentrating and that isn't a sport so long as I have a hole in my ars5

I tend to think of it like this,  the word game covers the lot, football, golf, shooting, computer, chess and  Olympic  are all games, then sport is a further specific sub definition of the word Game.

I agree with the OED that sport requires physical exertion, so while shooting and football are both a game only football is a sport.

I think Clay Shooting can be a game (eg. Starshot), a sport (eg. registered competition and championships but to some (on here particularly)......................

IT'S A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!!!!!! :biggrin:

Back