In need of an instructor

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limmy01

Well after a lesson a few weeks ago I found out my eye swaps dominance , so after eight years of shooting I have got to retrain and try and shoot with left eye closed, my score weren't great before but now they have hit rock bottom and its getting very frustrating. The chap who took my first lesson has moved away so i'm in need of a coach / instructor who I can go with every month to retrain and learn how to shoot again and hit the blooming things. I am based next to east midlands airport so grounds that are close by are hemlock , east mids shooting ground , garlands kegworth and doveridge

unhappy and disengaged shooter :(

Jamie

Well after a lesson a few weeks ago I found out my eye swaps dominance, unhappy and disengaged shooter :(

Jamie
​Totally feel your pain Jamie.......same here but in reverse.....shot with one eyed closed for 28 years, wanted to get better and changed to two eyes open in Feb and after much frustration, tests and all sorts of faffing about my Instructors said I was left eye dominant, Optician says I am right eye dominant......like you my dominance swaps and am back to shooting with one eye closed but it feels as if I am starting again and my scores are awful....

I live down South so cant recommend an Instructor but just wanted to say good luck!

Thanks all,  I was warned that my scores would take a hit but its so frustraiting. My first ever lesson was with a chap called Daff who was amazing and even then going to one eye, I was hitting well and birds I wouldn't normally hit! But for the last few shoots its got to pot.

I will get into contact with Ed and go from there

Cheers All

I know you are asking for an instructor but I will pitch in with a eye dom trick. If you don't use shooting glasses start to wear them but put a small circle of opaque sticky tape over the left lens this ensures the right eye is the one doing the seeing when you shoot. You then shoot as normal with both eyes open but because your left eye cannot see the bead the right eye always takes over and looks down the rib. I and many others use this method and it seems to work but I know that the uncertainty of eye dominance is a bad thing. Hope you get it sorted out what ever the solution. One thing though don't use one of those easy hit fibre optic bead things the are OK at the start but then become a distraction.

What jwpzx9r said. 

I had a lesson with Carl Bloxham, he suffers from the same problem as you. All he did was to swipe a bit of vaseline on my right lens (I'm left handed but right master eyed) This did help and may be worth trying for a few weeks before spending lots of cash on lessons. Although to be fair, money is usually well spent on lessons from someone like Ed anyway. 

Good luck, let us know how you get on will you? 

Latest posts

Back