Ian Coley Shooting School 1st Registered Shoot Wednesday 3rd July 2013

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBeard

I chose this as my first registered shoot as of course the Growler was held there but we knew in advance that Jim French had designed the course and no stand would be as previously and nobody would have seen the course or shot it in advance.

There were 12 stands each with a mix of 4 or 5 pairs, mostly on report but there were a few simultaneous pairs.

I was on the 1pm squad with a good team with Steve Lovatt from on here who kindly introduced himself and then introduced me to some of the others.

I was the only newbie and felt that I was in a group of very good shooters and was somewhat concerned that I was going to embarrass myself.

I made a nervy, poor, slow start with a whitewash on the first stand which didn't look especially difficult and didn't seem to be to anyone else but I didn't lock onto either the quartering going away left to right or the right to left looper.

The weather was neither too hot nor too cold and only a very few targets appeared to be affected by the wind and the course was interesting and certainly challenging.  

Steve thought that there could be a 92 out there for the taking but he was top of our squad with 84.  I was tail end charlie and scraped up 32 kills which was obviously a disappointment but I've got to start somewhere and have obviously been lulled into  false sense of security shooting Ashcombe too much and not venturing further afield.  

For this first shoot there were only about 50% advance bookings and a total turnout for a new registered midweek shoot of 30 which was evidently up to expectations.  I expect it will grow in popularity.

No doubt Steve can add some more detail about the stands and targets but there quite a few where you shot below and downhill which were probably more testing than most.

Excellent company and a very enjoyable day once I'd got a few kills under my belt.  I was told afterwards that I was shooting at the targets not where they were going.  I was giving them leed but obviously not enough!

More practice and more lessons required! :scratchhead:

Shot Ian Coleys Wedneday shoot today and it was totally new course, totally enjoyed it something there for everyone, Jims made real big effort here, I was on for good card then stand 12 easy going away & battue, straight any day dropped 5 ., great day out though good company and good selection targets totally recomend it, shame had rush to work after

Thanks Chris.  I did notice that you were using Mullers 1 & 2 and I wondered if I was making life difficult for myself but I had followed the advice on here just to put 2 chokes in and forget about them and as I can take some birds a bit late the extra tightness can sometimes help but there again I'd never seen a target as close as that one yesterday.  If you were a cricket slip catcher you might have thought you could have dived out and caught it!

I have been to coley's a few times for practice, and very often have a long wk end or couple of days stop in Cheltenham, so definitely keep my eyes open for the reg comps.

Thanks Chris.  I did notice that you were using Mullers 1 & 2 and I wondered if I was making life difficult for myself but I had followed the advice on here just to put 2 chokes in and forget about them and as I can take some birds a bit late the extra tightness can sometimes help but there again I'd never seen a target as close as that one yesterday.  If you were a cricket slip catcher you might have thought you could have dived out and caught it!
Hello Robert 

I purchased a pair of Mullers (2 & 3) a few months back and have stuck to this combination, I now throw a 9 in for the close stuff rather than change my chokes. If you don't normally shoot with 9"s I would recommend carrying a few in your bag. 

Regards Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Robert 

I purchased a pair of Mullers (2 & 3) a few months back and have stuck to this combination, I now throw a 9 in for the close stuff rather than change my chokes. If you don't normally shoot with 9"s I would recommend carrying a few in your bag. 

Regards Neil
Pattern the magic 9's. Often they throw the same diameter pattern as an 8. Just another way to screw with the head..

I like George Digweeds mantra. The close stuff is easy, so just shoot it properly and set the gun for the harder long stuff..

Chris B said:
I would imagine most of the shot is still in the plastic cup at that distance, its all to do with giving you a bit of confidence, As with all shooting 90% is in your head.
Now I hadn't even thought of that!

I think youtube will show that it's out of the wad after only a foot or so, but having patterned a lot of different cartridges, the difference in pattern at 10 yards is not a lot. Even when I found one that really opened out well, I missed close stuff with it, thinking I had an easy shot!

So often I see shooters missing 10-15 yard stuff by shooting way in front; usually by swinging through/ flicking ahead. rabbits are a classic example. No cartridge will cure this..

So maybe the chokes don't matter on the really close stuff. You just have to hit them on the nose giving the clay your full focus and attention. I hit the first and thought I was ahead on the others and perhaps due to the inertia in my swing. Thanks Will.

I was shooting 7.5's so some 9's sounds like a good idea for closer birds.

Great to have this feedback to be able to apply next time I come across a close one.

The other thing was difficulty seeing orange clays on a green background and I had to take my glasses off to change lenses but I still don't think that I have the right colour.

The glasses also steamed up once so off they came again!

So maybe the chokes don't matter on the really close stuff. You just have to hit them on the nose giving the clay your full focus and attention. I hit the first and thought I was ahead on the others and perhaps due to the inertia in my swing. Thanks Will.

I was shooting 7.5's so some 9's sounds like a good idea for closer birds.

Great to have this feedback to be able to apply next time I come across a close one.
I think neither chokes nor cartridge type (same thing different way..) should be relied upon to hit the close stuff. Try a few 9's if you like. You will either hit a few more with them (i suggest by chance) and therefore feel happier with them. Or you will find no difference and be able to cross this item off your list.

I know it's an old topic, much discussed, but chokes and/ or cartridge selection definitely offer a different appearance of HOW the clay shatters, but actually making the difference between a loss and a kill? Rarely..

If you want to use a cartridge that throws a wide 'diameter' pattern use an express 21g fibre, 7.5! It's as big as I ever saw. At close stuff you will always have far more pellets than you need anyway..

Chris B said:
Will, the clay we were on about was no more than 10ft from the gun,so at that distance I dont think whatever choke you used would make any difference. I took my choke out, but as I say its all to do what you believe in your head.
10 feet is really daft. I reckon the tightest choke and cartridge combo would give a pattern of about 3 inch diameter. The widest would be 5 inches. As you say, sod all really. Good luck rifling that!

I always reckon the easiest targets are 15-20 yards away. Enough pattern to use but usually very little lead to work out and highly visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Robert,
I was on the 2pm squad for this one, know what you mean this was really close! I had a pair of u3's in!......and that's what I'm using as my excuse haha

Latest posts

Back