I got a pass

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaphan

OK so the missus has given me permission to spend money and I want a new gun.

I had a grope of someones new Benelli 828u o/u at the week end and I must say I really liked the way it felt and looks, it fell into the shoulder lovely, was really well balanced and unbelievably light and I think I want one... I didn't have the cheek to ask the guy to have a go on it to see how it actually shoots cos he seemed a little nervous so I didn't want to bother him too much

The only thing that puts me off a bit is they only come in 26" or 28" barrels and I have no experience really of how much difference it makes, all the guns I have shot be it my own or friends are 30" barrels (with the exception of my side by side)

anyone got any feedback on how much difference 2" actually makes? (without the smutty replies  :wink: )

I only shoot clays and generally its ESP but sometimes Skeet

Benelli do make a nice gun, but light isn't always best especially if your going to be shooting ESP or Skeet 'seriously' which will often involve putting 100 shells through the gun in a relatively short time frame. 

Best advice is to try several, as many as you can to be precisely when we say 'try' do try to put a few shells through every one you try if you can and not just a couple.  

You'll get lots of advice on different brands and models etc but the most common guns you see on the circuit are there for a reason. If you are new to this, do try to get some good advice on what does or doesn't fit you, this can make a great difference from the start.  

You're on a great road though, have fun. 

I am relativity new to the sport, been shooting a 2-3 years now... I'm still using my "starter gun" which is a Franchi Alcione one which I do really get on with tbh but I just want a bit of an upgrade, I'm not expecting a new gun to improve my shooting that will come with experience I know

I've never had any problems with recoil if I'm honest i'm pretty well built I've got a side by side as well which is really light which I shoot ESP with 100+ at a time just for a bit of a change and a laugh plus the club I used to go to (not there now unfortunately) had a side by side comp every now and then

the benelli 828u has a really good recoil system as far as I read so I cant see recoil being a problem at all

I'm not sure if any of the shops near me will be too happy to let me have a go on a brand new gun and I cant imagine there are many second hand 828u's knocking about at the mo

Last edited by a moderator:
This gun had crap reviews in the USA and here! Benelli build Autos some of them kick? This is their first O/U, just look around and see if any of the top shooters use them?

If you want one, go for it...but as has been said, fairly poor reviews, fixes problems that don't exist, only comes with unfashionably short barrels and is a full 30% lighter than a decent clay gun...it WILL kick like a mule, even with the in flex type recoil reducer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick to Beretta, Browning/Miroku. They have good track records going back years. The 828 is a bit light for a clay bashing gun and may not hold its value too well either. 

Latest posts

Back