Hit some and missed some?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

the devil is in the detail. Bloody forum coaching :)

We don't know how advanced the 'subject` is. Real beginners stand there with the foremost part of their body being their belly button, the toe of the gun on their collarbone and their face on the butt pad. No point adding gun-down to that mess.. But as progress comes, it is worth learning to have the gun away from the face once the body is in a correct position to receive the gun.

I was trying to hold as per second picture but I think the barrel was lower. Having seen the Chris Batha vids I will try and hold as he suggests. Roll on my next shoot to put into practice all this good advice.

Cheers

I'll comment just to support the idea of shooting some skeet, also once you get your own gun practice the mount every day. I read somewhere, good shooting is about 70% in the mount and the other 30% is easy. I don't believe it myself, but it's a pretty good place to start.

Also, I'd suggest that you should make sure as soon as you can (before any bad habits form) that your mount on your gun is right, a decent coach and a few lessons should do the trick.  

Good news, had a call from the Police Firearms Officer, he will be around next week to check my safe, to be bought and fitted, and then hand me my SGC.

I will be buying safe on Saturday and maybe reserving/ordering a gun.  Once i have the gun I will be practicing the mount in the mirror and hopefully shooting with it w/e 15th March.

Here's hoping and many thanks for all the support.

Try not to overthink what you are doing on the stand . To shoot well you will need to learn all the basic skills that go into shooting . A good coach is the first place to start. As the gun has to shoot where you are looking and you need to get used to the characteristic of the gun you shoot , you are unlikely to progress far until you have your own gun. Choose carefully after trying as many as you can. A second hand Miroku, Browning or Beretta would be a good place to start as they hold their value well.You would be wise to get experienced advice when buying a second hand gun as some may have been modified in ways that make them unsuitable for you.Remember that it will take some time and lots of serious practice to become good at this sport! There are plenty of books and videos on sale to help you along.

Hi thanks for the comments.  I am popping into Chris Potter on Saturday to see if they have a suitable gun and have it fitted. So hopefully I will have my own gun very soon.

Regards

Andy

Do you have both eyes open when you have gun mounted and when you follow bird/pull trigger?

I used to shoot one-eyed, but shooting with both eyes is the way to go IMO. It felt weird at first, but its worth learning. Widens your field of vision, and gives you depth perception too, which you wont have with just one eye open.

Do you have both eyes open when you have gun mounted and when you follow bird/pull trigger?

I used to shoot one-eyed, but shooting with both eyes is the way to go IMO. It felt weird at first, but its worth learning. Widens your field of vision, and gives you depth perception too, which you wont have with just one eye open.
Blimey Bob I reckon I shoot with both eyes SHUT half the time. Pmsl !

Hi thanks for the comments.  I am popping into Chris Potter on Saturday to see if they have a suitable gun and have it fitted. So hopefully I will have my own gun very soon.

Regards

Andy
There is a case for delaying having a gun fitted until you have more experience. A full fitting requires you to have perfected your mount so that the gun fitter has a stable platform to modify. For a beginner, many believe that once the length of pull (but to trigger distance) has been altered , that is enough to start with. Even then it is wise to seek the help of a coach rather than leave it to the gun shop. Unless the fitter has seen you shoot how can he or she know what to change to help you shoot better ?

Last edited by a moderator:
As above. It ain't like a pair of trousers.. Get close enough now and don't spend money doing so..

As above. It ain't like a pair of trousers.. Get close enough now and don't spend money doing so..
I get your point. I am not going for a full fit just reach and maybe comb height as I have been told I have very long arms.  I am sure they will have an 'off the shelf' gun to fit me. I have no preference and will listen to their advice. I only want to make sure it is one of the quality brands at a reasonable cost for a first gun.  I can always change/upgrade in a year or so if needs be.

Latest posts

Back