hello from a complete newbie

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P13td0

Hi All,

I spent a number of years during my youth hunting with a .22 air rifle and always head to a range when I am in the USA to get some target shooting in with whatever guns I can get my hands on.

I have now decided to get into clay shooting. Having some Italian heritage, I have always wanted a nice Italian gun. At the moment I am thinking about either a Beretta DT10 or DT11. I have had one lesson at Ian Coley, during which I took out a second hand DT10. It felt very comfortable, but I don't really have anything to compare it to at the moment.

I was very impressed with the facilities at Ian Coley, and my instructor was a very nice chap, but my experiences were not flawless. Having paid for a 1 hour lesson, we were only out for 45 minutes. In this time we went through 75 clays. I got very little (practically no) instruction on correct form, foot position etc. I was instructed on lead, told where I was missing and given some advice on smooth swinging of the gun, but that was about it. Including clays and carts, this 1hr (really 45 minute) lesson cost me £139 pounds. Appart from lots of encouragement, I just didn't feel like I got value for money. They suggested I sign up for a course of 6 lessons, which including clays and carts (75 per lesson) will cost me in the region of £700. At the moment, I am just not sure I am getting value out of that investment, especially when I compare what I was taught with the level of technical coaching is available through clay coah online (youtube). On the plus side, the gun shop is happy for me to take out the demo DT11 so I can try and decide which gun to go for.

I heard that the Dt10 can have problems with fibre wads. I also have no idea whether I should go for a 30" or 32" barrel length. The DT10 I used was a 30", but I don't really know what the difference would be. There seems to be so much to get to grips with as a complete newbie to the sport, and I don't want to make an expensive mistake on my gun choice.

I would be happy to hear peoples thoughts on my experiences outlined above and how I could best bridge the gap while waiting for my SGC. My certificate application will be submitted in the next week or so, but as I am in Gloucestershire, I have been told it can take 3+ months to process. I can't wait to get properly stuck in. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard - there ill be plenty of experts along to advise on the gun thing. Enjoy the forum, get involved and any questions, please let me know.

Let's disect the price for a moment.

75 clays at say 25p each is £19 or near as damn it.

Cartridges would be about £15 so rounding it makes the 45 minutes about £100 for the session including gun hire.

Lessons seem to vary from £50 per hour an upwards depending on the name, reputation and ground provider.

From the sound of it the lesson did not seem to cover all the necessary basics but how much can one take in on a first lesson and how much is the coach entitled to assume if anything?

Were you provided with any notes or summaries of what had been imparted to take away to look over at home or to refresh yourself before you shoot again?

I have to agree that it sounds like an expensive 45 minutes but I am also new and have yet to take the plunge on a series of lessons.

Compared to driving lessons that include the use of a car and golf lessons I have to say that clay shooting lessons seem dear to me espcially if you only get 75% of what you paid for!

Now grabbing flak jacket and tin hat!

I know Ian Coley isn't the cheapest around and I was fully aware of that before I set out (33p + VAT for clays, £6.50 for 25 carts and £65 + VAT for 1 hour instruction). I don't have a problem with paying more, as long as I am getting value. The good points were the use of the DT10 and the facilities. I have since watched some of the videos available on youtube and can't help but feel a bit miffed that we didn't cover things like gun mount, body position, visual hold/ gun insertion/ break point.

I really enjoyed myself, but I don't feel like I came away with a huge amount of new knowledge. There wasn't even a safety briefing.

On the plus side, I broke every single one of the 5 rabbits I was presented with, which was very satisfying. I only really struggled with clays that were a long way out where a lot of lead was required.

Hi, that seems a tad expensive to me!! £139 for 45 min lesson??? blimey! we charge £6.50 for a round of clays, 26p per clay! ( a round is 25 shots) plus £5.50 for a box of cartridges so £12 for 25 shots, with a lesson and use of a gun thrown in for good measure!

I dont know where you are but we are in Lincolnshire!

I cant get over how much he charges and you didnt even get a proper lesson!

daylight robbery is all I can say!

Last edited by a moderator:
Practice clays should be between 28 & 32 pence depending which ground you shoot at inc vat not added to the price.

This equates to between £28 & £32 a hundred.

33 p + vat equals £40 per hundred ???????

I don't pay that per hundred to shoot a reg comp.

If that's the case then find a cheaper practice ground. I'm sure there are plenty in your area

Welcome along, enjoy the site!

Where are you based? There are plenty of good coaches on this site, so ask the question.

Most of all, have fun!

Thanks for the welcome.

For some reason they add VAT to the clays if they are part of a lesson? I really think I am learning more from youtube than from my £78 "lesson", but obviously there is a complete lack of the practical elements when sat in front of a laptop. I just watched a video on follow through vs pull away vs sustained lead - why did the "coach" not talk about any of that during my "lesson"?

I don't mean to belly ache :D , but it is starting to leave a bad taste and reminds me of the "I saw you coming" Harry Enfield sketches. I don't understand it really, as they will potentially lose a £5-£6K gun sale if I feel like they are trying to fleece me. At the moment, I see no reason to spend another £700 on 6 more lessons if all the "coach" is going to do is press the button when I shout pull and then tell me where I missed, or ask me where I think I missed.

It cost me less than that to get my bike license and that included 5 days of tuition including use of the bike for lessons and the eventual two part test. I wasn't going to be spending upwards of £5K with the bike school when I was done either.

I am in Gloucestershire. I found the Prescott clay club online, but that seems to be priced the same as Ian Coley.... perhaps it serves me right for living in the Costwolds. I would have thought getting newbies into the sport and keeping them there would be considered vital - There is no need to try and pick my pocket for short term gain... give me good service and I will spend money with you over the long term.

Any suggestions on where to go or who to contact in Gloucestershire?

I went to a small shoot local to me on sunday in Lincolnshire and it was £20 for 100 clays practise, and they've got 8 good stands, other places i've been are 24p per clay for practise at Pinewoods in Blyton.

Regatds Martin

i have just started clay shooting again even though ive shot all my life i have only been maybe once every 2 years for the last 10 yrs, i have been doing more fac vermin / stalking, which i believe rifle shooting has totally spoilt my shotgun shooting over the last 10yrs i have steadily slipped, i was shooting clays better @ 17yrs old.

i nhave been to parklodge clay club today very resonable lovely staff fully auto traps so shooting on your own is not a problem the cost was 22p per clay excellent birds something for everyone.

reading this review it seems to be quite more pricey the further south you go..

Welcome, I am fairly new to clay shooting, I tend to go with people I know, from there you meet others or offer free advice, at local shots I often find an aged shooter telling me were I'm going wrong, and gives pointers, all in a positive manner.

I have never had a paid for lesson, I was given a gun, stance and aiming advice at a local shoot before they let me borrow a gun and let me loose so to speak.

Golf on the other hand, I have paid for lessons, i'm still rubbish

More than anything, I want to go out and shoot some more clays. I have a head full of theory now, but only 45 minutes of practical experience. Unfortunately, Gloucestershire police take 3+ months to turn around an SGC application, so I am in for a long wait.

I went to a small shoot local to me on sunday in Lincolnshire and it was £20 for 100 clays practise, and they've got 8 good stands, other places i've been are 24p per clay for practise at Pinewoods in Blyton.

Regatds Martin
welcome P13td0,

I shoot at Pinewood and they couldn't be more helpfull and as a member clays are 22p inc. each.

Phil

Back