Gun safe - Is It Secure?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Salmon

Now we all know that shooting must have one of the best communities out there with people willing to help others out.

A local shooter just upgraded his gun safe, and was extremely kind in giving me his old one. Now I got it home last night and propped it up in the garage until it gets fitted. On inspection, the door rattles when locked, its more extreme on the top than the bottom. The previous owner said it has always been like that, even when it was inspected and it was confirmed as OK by the firearms officer.

Could anyone state if this is OK or not? I think it isn't! I've tried to adjust it but being a safe, its rock solid. If anyone has any tips on how to do this, or would like to come and do it for me for beer tokens that would be fantastic!

Heres a video of it for reference. 

View attachment IMG_0782.MOV

Thanks!

View attachment IMG_0782.MOV

Do the dead bolts slide in behind the rebate within the safe or into holes in front?

If behind then simply bend the rebate back in a bit to pull the door in tighter. Alternatively fit a metal shim behind the rebate to achieve the same effect.

I assume the locks themselves are fitted tight to the door?

If all else fails fit a  hasp & staple and a good padlock or fit a shoot bolt ((riveted) and a good pad lock.

Both the above will add another layer of security.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is of similar design and the door moves a bit. Not quite as much as that though. To be honest i wouldn't really worry to much about it, unless you are expecting burglars of course. It looks like someone has had a go at the top lock previously.

My Brattonsound 3 gun cabinet rattles with free play, as said, not quite as much as yours but still very noticeable...passed AOK.

As Bramble has said, my Brattonsound also rattles quite a lot, but not as much as yours.

Please bear in mind that the Police don't "Pass" or "Fail" these cabinets. They will however pass comment or make a recommendation perhaps ie that it should ideally comply with the relevant BS number, be fixed in a specific way and not fitted in certain locations etc. But you should remember always, the security of your shotgun ie to prevent unauthorised access to the weapon, is ultimately YOUR responsibility.

My advice is therefore, if you have doubts and can’t sort these out by making the alterations suggested by DT,  then I’d go a buy a good used or a new cabinet. You should be sorted for about £60-70 for a used one or £140-150 for a new one.

EDIT: or even less: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GDK-cabinet-shotgun-POLICE-APPROVED/dp/B00Z7G8MWU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446483837&sr=8-2&keywords=3+gun+safe

Even less still: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOTGUN-CABINET-RIFLE-APPROVED-7-LEVER/dp/B00MM9F4BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446483837&sr=8-1&keywords=3+gun+safe

Easily fixed.

The top bolt has too much of a gap between itself and the rebate.

Pack the rebate with steel plate off cuts until play is removed.

Bottom lock does not look too bad, but could be improved.

Do you have any contacts in the car body repair game ? They usually have an assortment of hydraulic tools that would sort that problem easily. Better than trying a self fix using a hammer.

Thanks all, wanted to confirm suspicions. 

Ill see if I can pack it out with something to stop it happening, I did attempt to hammer it back but it would not budge!

As said, if I cannot do this then I'll buy another, end of the day it's not worth it.

Back