Gun fitting service

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any decent gun smiths in the South West who could advise on gun fit and carry out the necessary work?

A lot of people mention how good Tim Greenwood is, but I am reluctant to drive the 9hr round trip if there Is someone good closer to home.

Cheers

I was referred to a Terry Mills who is based just north of Tavistock and he helped me with choosing a gun that ended up not requiring any changes but he is a gunsmith and belongs to the Gun Traders Association. I got the impression that he does this sort of thing so you could at least give him a call and discuss it with him. He does work for local gun shops and people send him guns to service etc. If its not something he can handle I am sure that he would know somebody who would do a good job. He is very protective of his reputation. He used to coach at Newnham Park, Plympton with Sid Clarke if that means anything to you. 01566 783540 You had better give my name or he will be suspicious as to how you have his number!

Thank you for the info.

I'll give him a ring.

I remember Sid from Newnham and Terry's name rings a bell too.

It's a real shame that it closed down for general practice and competition!

As 40up, I recommend Dennis Stepney - highly recommend, in fact! He has a practice ground on-site and will sort you out. Near Wellington, Somerset. 01823 650887. Tell him to pull his finger out with my stock! ;) :p

Thanks chaps.

I am going to phone him tomorrow and book an appointment.

Really undecided about adjustable combs and weather or not to go for one. Worried I probably use it as an excuses and keep moving it whenever I have a bad shoot

My opinion, for what it's worth;

If you buy a new gun with an adjustable comb, you can change it to suit you if it doesn't fit straight away. I'm not really sure why anyone would have an adjustable comb fitted, unless it was to simply make the stock fit, a cheaper way to get the gun to fit without the expense of a custom made stock. Personally, if you were to have a stock made, then the fit is built in, so no need for an adjustable comb.

That said, I know a couple of people whose physical characteristics have changed - illness, weight gain/loss etc, so rather than go to the expense of a new stock, they had an adjustable comb fitted to get the gun to fit them again. I think you're right to be dubious about adjusting for the sake of it - get one that fits and learn to shoot it! ;)

Talk to Dennis, he knows what he's doing.

As long as you are happy with your mount (ie it is pretty consistant) a decent stocker will be able to "let in" a piece to raise the comb (assuming you need it raised) or easier done take a bit off if thats what is required.

problem solved with no bits to fiddle with and probably not much more, possibly even a little less cost than going adjustable as no hardware needed :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back