Gun Cleaning

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Selby

sorry if this has been discussed before but any tips on cleaning a gun that has been used in wet conditions?......

thanks

Have a look through previous posts, this has been discussed on several occasions.

Let it dry out naturally (don't apply heat) until the wood is fully dry.

In the mean time, clean the barrels as normal.

Then when dry and reassembled give the whole thing a wipe over with a cloth covered with Legia or similar.

Sent from my Desire HD using tapatalk 2

Any ideas of what to do when you get your chokes completely stuck in the gun?  And yes, I am standing the gun upset down in a pint of gun oil as we speak.  And yes, I certainly should have cleaned it more often. And no, hairdryers certainly don't get it hot enough. 

Are they lodged for ever if the oil trick does not work, or can they be extracted without ruining the threads?

if they have been left in since the last westfield 120 bird shoot, i would leave them in!!!!!! well shot :hunter:

Agreed

a gun smith will get em out no prob.

You could try soaking in diesel oil as it is thinner than machine oil, you could try heat cycles such as warming with a hair dryer and then immersing in diesel oil and then using a good quality choke key held squarely to remove the chokes.

there is an article in the latest Clay Shooting magazine by a gunsmith on the the subject of chokes stuck in a gun....

I suspect the article is not complimentary to those of us who get in such a pickle.

Ironically, this one gets cleaned on a reasonably regular basis (compared to my old one which was lucky to get cleaned even if it rained) and yet I've found the chokes get quite stiff after just 100-200 targets now - or in this instance horribly stuck after only about 400-500 targets.

I shall (get someone strong and clever) to get them out somehow :)

Gas axe, hack saw etc you get the picture ..

On a more serious note I shot with a certain top lady shot in the uk a year ago and she had hacksawed 2 inch off the end of her Kemen barrels because of a buldge and thought it was fine to just keep shooting it!

A friend of mine got a choke stuck recently, gun smith offered this advice: Soak the choke end of the barrels in penetrating oil for at least 3 days, you then heat the choke end with a blow torch being careful not to hold the flame on the same spot for too long, he then suggested putting the choke key in a vice using the barrel for leverage. If this does not shift it at all it will have to be removed, Tim Greenwood probably has the best tool for that - see his article in clay shooting

A friend of mine got a choke stuck recently, gun smith offered this advice: Soak the choke end of the barrels in penetrating oil for at least 3 days, you then heat the choke end with a blow torch being careful not to hold the flame on the same spot for too long, he then suggested putting the choke key in a vice using the barrel for leverage. If this does not shift it at all it will have to be removed, Tim Greenwood probably has the best tool for that - see his article in clay shooting
Rotabroach? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes

, Tim uses a specially made tool that is basically a lefthanded reamer.

Sara, as a matter of interest what manufacture of gun is it ? Guerini by any chance??

Let this be a warning to all you people who say " I never clean my gun or change my chokes "  I would think the devaluation of a gun with seized in multi-chokes is probably circa £300.

No it's a beretta 682goldE - if it hears of rain in the next county, it starts rusting. Great gun generally but it demands a lot more attention than my old 682gold. Failing to clean it on one or two occasions and it takes revenge!

I would definitely recommend soaking in diesel (surprisingly coke a cola works well - other brands are available!) then after a couple of days run either a vibrating etcher on the choke (amaz n do one for under £4) or a percussion drill just set on hammer no rotation, pop it back in your diesel and repeat again after 2 days then give it a go, good luck, Growl

Back