Gun Cabinets

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

Is it a law that you MUST have a gun cabinet?

What about if you just wish to have a SGC and do not actually wish to own a gun?

Well Pete, I'm not sure if you actually need a gun safe as such, however as far as I know, all police forces ask for one. You don't need to have a gun to have SGC, but if you try to renew it and have never had a gun, they could well say that you don't need one I guess. :huh:

What about if you just wish to have a SGC and do not actually wish to own a gun?
No you don't but you need to have secure means of storage, in practice a gun cabinet is both cheaper and more convenient for both parties. If you have the resources you could have a lockable gunroom as long as it is deemed secure. Personally I have never understood why some see this as an infringement of liberty or police heavy handedness.

No you don't but you need to have secure means of storage, in practice a gun cabinet is both cheaper and more convenient for both parties. If you have the resources you could have a lockable gunroom as long as it is deemed secure. Personally I have never understood why some see this as an infringement of liberty or police heavy handedness.
I agree Hammy, I have always seen a gun safe as a great way of keeping a prize possession safe, I also use the gun safe to keep certain docs in, such as passports and I keep cash in the thing at times too.

I agree Hammy, I have always seen a gun safe as a great way of keeping a prize possession safe, I also use the gun safe to keep certain docs in, such as passports and I keep cash in the thing at times too.
Ditto

Just as long as your other half doesn't know where you keep the keys as it is illegal for any no SGC holder to have access to a shotgun. Yeah right :.:

My lad has just been granted a SGC but because he is only 14 he is not allowed to know where the gun cabinet keys are kept and he is not allowed to own a shotgun?? So why issue a SGC to a 14 year old??

As I see it the only reason for him to have a Cert is that some grounds (Bisley for one) will not allow you to shoot unless you have a SGC. Garlands is another that will not let non-SGC holders shoot without an instructor being present (although hasn't stopped us yet as I just book on for two while Harry stays outside :p ). No questions asked.

DT

Oh Dear....(to clarify...this is not aimed at anyone in particular).....but.......lets not confuse what is good for us .......like a cabinet .....

.with what is bad for us......forced proof of compitence (as in the other thread) where in order to get your first licence you are being forced to do something that is not in the Firearms Act. This without a doubt is heavy handedness of police who are interpreting the Act how they want and not 'the Law'.

It is obvious why cabinets are not forced on people in the Act, because they would instantly destroy several gun rooms up and down the country, not only in private houses (like mine was before coming south) but for RFD's, shooting schools, gunshops and the likes who have in effect armouries.

People must think outside of their own little boxes or own personal experiences.

Of course it is sensible to have a cabinet if you have one or two guns.....or two or three cabinets if you have more and would feel safe storing this way............BUT.........lets not be naive to think that little alterations made by police forces outside the restraints of the Act ....are a good thing........THEY ARE NOT...!!

The Firearms Act must be protected and enforced correctly......end of..!

Last edited:
Oh Dear....(to clarify...this is not aimed at anyone in particular).....but.......lets not confuse what is good for us .......like a cabinet .....

.with what is bad for us......forced proof of compitence (as in the other thread) where in order to get your first licence you are being forced to do something that is not in the Firearms Act. This without a doubt is heavy handedness of police who are interpreting the Act how they want and not 'the Law'.

It is obvious why cabinets are not forced on people in the Act, because they would instantly destroy several gun rooms up and down the country, not only in private houses (like mine was before coming south) but for RFD's, shooting schools, gunshops and the likes who have in effect armouries.

People must think outside of their own little boxes or own personal experiences.

Of course it is sensible to have a cabinet if you have one or two guns.....or two or three cabinets if you have more and would feel safe storing this way............BUT.........lets not be naive to think that little alterations made by police forces outside the restraints of the Act ....are a good thing........THEY ARE NOT...!!

The Firearms Act must be protected and enforced correctly......end of..!
Great response Nic! :)

I had a licence and no cabinet when I first started and was sharing my dad’s gun.

I just got a letter from the Chief Constable stating that I had to return the gun back to my Dad’s cabinet after use as I had nowhere to store it securely at my house.

Once I decided to get my own gun (I mean permanently borrow my dad's and then trade it in for a DT10 as son’s do :ph34r: ) I fitted a cabinet and they came out to check it.

My friend stored his gun in my cabinet for a couple of years as well and had no gun listed on his licence, they did enquire why but were happy with the answer he gave.

Cambridgeshire Police are very enlightened about this. Shotgun licenses are often issued to people who don't own guns (such as the University Clay Pigeon Shooting Society members) but want to hire them. I was issued my license without owning a gun or a cabinet. Firearms officer okayed where the cabinet would be and said he wouldn't come back, I just had to get the cabinet before the gun and tell them when I had the gun.

Cambridgeshire Police are very enlightened about this. Shotgun licenses are often issued to people who don't own guns (such as the University Clay Pigeon Shooting Society members) but want to hire them. I was issued my license without owning a gun or a cabinet. Firearms officer okayed where the cabinet would be and said he wouldn't come back, I just had to get the cabinet before the gun and tell them when I had the gun.
Brilliant.... bizarre but brilliant....trust in the community :D :D

A friend of mine has a shotgun certificate but no cabinet.

He stated that should he buy a shotgun it would be stored at a club or in 'my :eek: ' cabinet.

They were happy with that :)

A friend of mine has a shotgun certificate but no cabinet.

He stated that should he buy a shotgun it would be stored at a club or in 'my :eek: ' cabinet.

They were happy with that :)

:D Did they also write Booklet 7 by any chance?? :D

Seems to me there's a serious lack of standardisation between forces which is allowing wild interpretations by people who don't know, which is ludicrous. How many of us in our professional lives would be allowed to get away with "making it up as we go along"? Don't know what the answer is, but I guess that applies to most aspects of our lives in this nanny state.

(oops, mustn't get too philosophical or I'll start drinking again!)

Seems to me there's a serious lack of standardisation between forces which is allowing wild interpretations by people who don't know, which is ludicrous. How many of us in our professional lives would be allowed to get away with "making it up as we go along"? Don't know what the answer is, but I guess that applies to most aspects of our lives in this nanny state.

(oops, mustn't get too philosophical or I'll start drinking again!)
And bingo......!! That is why we must not allow infringements or made up conditions that attach unofficially to the Firearms Act campers ;)

Last edited:
Right, now we have established that ACPO are making up the law as we go along how about the shooting associations jointly bringing them back into line?

If you are not already an association member I suggest that you join one of them and bring these anomalies to their attention.

As many know the Law of the Land is derived from 2 sources: Statutory Law which comes from Parliament and Common Law which comes from legal judgements made in Courts of Law. Much Common Law exists as literal clarification because Statutory Law is frequently vague and non specific - and the gun laws are typical. For example the law requires that adequate security be applied to gun storage in the home but that's vague to the point of being almost meaningless. And since the task of administering the registration and licencing of guns is handled by the police there will inevitably be variations in interpreting the law between different Forces. It also hands the police a golden opportunity to factor in things like the wonderfully patronising expression "Grant of a Shotgun Certificate". Remember, they aren't granting anything. We have as much right to keep shotguns as we have to own a car. The job of the police is merely to perform background checks to see if there is good reason to deny the SGC. I'm by no means certain which of these checks (if any) are required by law and which are determined as "desirable" by the ACPO.

There are good reasons to store guns in a secure cabinet and anyone with any sense would always do so, but it is not a legal requirement regardless of what your local firearms officer might think.

But OTOH it's always a good idea to keep things sweet with the police. Rocking the boat gets you nowhere and no one knows that better than they do.

The police and firearms officers alike are employed purely to enforce existing laws and not to interpret in anyway other then that, rule of thumb is to learn the law concerning the use and ownership of a shotgun or any other weapon so as not to get your collar felt :huh: Just saying!!!

Why would someone want a SGC but not own a gun ??

Latest posts

Back