Growlers Oiled stock

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a quick shufty on the tinter web, the trade secrets one come up a bit 3 bottle kit, napier do a kit with abrasives and 3 oils, ccl do one with a lacquer remover abrasives and oils. All with instructions. Looks like plenty about, its just the removal of the existing lacquer that bothers me, the CCL one seems to have this with it.

All you need is 800 and 1200 grade wet and dry paper, some fine wire wool and a bottle of "Rapid oil" which is a root oil that has the hardener added. The kits usually contain the root oil a hardener and sometimes a rubbing compound. There are a few threads on here with tips and advice for the newbie stock finisher. The thing you need most of all is an hour or so a day for 2 weeks and patience as its a slow process.

Cant help with removal of laquer as never done one of those but presume a nitromorse type paint remover might work but not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the one cough Nicola, thought maybe 3 more missing :girlwink:  in reply to that comment!

Malc has just kindly popped round to drop off the wood work and I can only say the photo's did not do it justice, really very pleased with the result, cheers Malc you're a star :goodjob:

Just hope it's good news from the physio this evening, hoping to get out next wed evening and use it in anger (for anger please read well considered planning and restraint) cheers all, Growl..

Well, the smile on Graham's face said it all. Your more than welcome mate. Glad your happy with the finish.

Cheers, Malc

Well done Bigmac very high quality job you have done there from the pics, and growl the lucky one to have a high class finish to his pride and joy   :good:

I've had a quick shufty on the tinter web, the trade secrets one come up a bit 3 bottle kit, napier do a kit with abrasives and 3 oils, ccl do one with a lacquer remover abrasives and oils. All with instructions. Looks like plenty about, its just the removal of the existing lacquer that bothers me, the CCL one seems to have this with it.
Hi. Be careful when removing the lacquer. On some guns the lacquer has a stain in it and the wood won't be the same. I did one not long back, when I removed the lacquer the wood was nothing like the original lacquer finish. Mind it was on an older gun.

"There are kits available which give comprehensive instructions"

Can anybody recommend a good kit with indestructions, i shouldn't mind having a go at removing the lacquer from my grade 1 525 and oil finishing it? The lacquer dents and scratches so easily.
I did an old air rifle to practice not got around to the shotgun yet but the kit's instructions are easy to follow , I used  a grain filler but thats optional 

CCL Traditional Gunstock Oil Finishing KitCCL Traditional Gunstock Oil Finishing Kit

Hi. Be careful when removing the lacquer. On some guns the lacquer has a stain in it and the wood won't be the same. I did one not long back, when I removed the lacquer the wood was nothing like the original lacquer finish. Mind it was on an older gun.
Thats my main fear, the other fear is the scorched grain that they sometimes use to enhance plain wood. The gun i've got is a 2011 B525 sporting, it looks like a grade 2 piece of wood, its quite nice for a grade 1 gun, but the shiny finish is poor really. I'll give it plenty of thought before I gontearing it to bits.

"There are kits available which give comprehensive instructions"

Can anybody recommend a good kit with indestructions, i shouldn't mind having a go at removing the lacquer from my grade 1 525 and oil finishing it? The lacquer dents and scratches so easily.
Yes the trade secret is the one I use and the instructions are good. 

Come to think of it, i've got an old HW95 air rifle with a laminated stock, I could practise on it. No big deal if I balls it up first before going nuts on my precious browning!

CCL was the kit I used about 20 years ago. Still got the original kit! Seem to remember it was straightforward, just time consuming.

Must be a good kit as its still available 20 years on.

DT

post-470-0-75634800-1370016099.jpg

Thats my main fear, the other fear is the scorched grain that they sometimes use to enhance plain wood. The gun i've got is a 2011 B525 sporting, it looks like a grade 2 piece of wood, its quite nice for a grade 1 gun, but the shiny finish is poor really. I'll give it plenty of thought before I gontearing it to bits.
You should be ok with your gun. From what I've heard they are just jacquard. Nitromors is the stuff to use to strip off the finish. Good luck with your practice on your air riffle. I did my sons and it turned out really nice. 

Attachments

• WP_000199.jpg
    WP_000199.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 0
Dt

yes it lasts forever :)

I too have had same kit and same bottle of rapid oil for over 20 yrs lost count of how many stocks i have done with it.

Great job Bigmac,

I did my mirook recently and used nitromors to take the varnish off and Rapidoil to finish.  Only grade 2 wood so didnt come up as nice as Growls, but I'm happy with it.

Edited for crap spelling/typing

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back