Gun dropped on Gravel ...Needs TLC ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dskize

So I managed to slip on the mud today and dropped my DT11 on the mud/grass/gravel surrounding the Skeet Field..Bugger...

I'm not one to worry too much about this as the damage is only aesthetic and if your shooting a pristine gun with no marks on it your not shooting it enough,

I did of course manage to drop it in just the right way to get some scrapes on every available surface on both Fore end and stock ...again....bugger.

i would however like to try and reduce the marking if possible its a nice dark stock and one of the gouges is quite obvious any help on treatment would be much appreciated i have no desire to sand it all down and re oil or whatever Id just like to take some of the damage out.

Thanks

Probably should get some pics up.

http://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-1930-0-28292700-1408974562.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-1930-0-59398500-1408974563.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2014/post-1930-0-82846100-1408974564.jpg

Attachments

• 20140825_144019.jpg
    20140825_144019.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140825_144106.jpg
    20140825_144106.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140825_144115.jpg
    20140825_144115.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the finish minor dents can be lifted by steaming with a wet towel and a hot iron but scrapes all over may be easier for a gunsmith to just remove and reapply the stain/varnish.

I was going to suggest the damp tea towel, hot iron trick too. Depends on how bad the damage is.

What a clumsy git :)

Ps

i shoot every week usually twice and have done for nearly 30 yrs i have had many many guns and have always looked after them to the point of obsession. I cant agree with your theory of them needing to be damaged but having said that i did witness some stuff on my recent sporting shoot that made my hair stand up, such as guns placed on gravel ground and propped up against things. You sporting lot are not as anal as trap shooters when it comes to gun care that is for sure.

Pps

i hope you get the damage sorted ok

Ouch that does hurt - turn the mishap to your advantage, go see your best local wood man and get a decent oil finish added to your DT11 making it better than before.

What a clumsy git :)

Ps

i shoot every week usually twice and have done for nearly 30 yrs i have had many many guns and have always looked after them to the point of obsession. I cant agree with your theory of them needing to be damaged but having said that i did witness some stuff on my recent sporting shoot that made my hair stand up, such as guns placed on gravel ground and propped up against things. You sporting lot are not as anal as trap shooters when it comes to gun care that is for sure.

Pps

i hope you get the damage sorted ok
Agreed...

Ha ..I'm currently a common Skeet shooter , I only shoot sporting for fun as it's too easy  ;)

I do look after my guns in general I'm just really not that obsessive about it, If I was i would be to scared to put it down anywhere .

Ouch that does hurt - turn the mishap to your advantage, go see yout best local wood man and get a decent oil finish added to your DT11 making it better than before.
'Tis but a scratch. I've seen worse!

Seriously, do what 40up says, it will turn into a masterpiece, then look after it like it was your crown jewels!  :biggrin: (And I don't mean scratch it every morning!!).

P.S I'm baseing this statement on the assumption you are male. May a large hole in the ground open up and swallow me if you are a lady. :fie:

Phew! Just checked your profile!!  :biggrin:

Last edited:
actually thinking about it , it was a pretty bad round ..maybe it jumped....

If the wood is an oil finish, the very damp cloth (preferably cotton) works a treat. Got a pair of scratches on my Browning from putting thr gun up with cans round my neck but this method lifted

them a treat. Re-oiled with Phillips Walnut oil and they disappeared. If the dent/scratch is a touch rough, you may have to do a little light sanding before the applying the oil.

Good luck and with a liitle care, you should get a good job. (It's pretty difficult to make it any worse).

Can I suggest that you use the wet tea towel suggestion but with one minor alteration. Take the tea towel and wet as suggested, instead of applying to stock, flail yourself across the back several times prior to going shooting. This should act as a reminder to either look after the gun better, or alternatively............................buy a zimmer !

In the end, I will get it repaired, re-oiled and kept in cottonwool for later,.... but it's given me the push to finally get a Evocomp stock , one to really please the traditionalists...

As for the zimmer ...I'll keep my eye on shootbay , cant imagine it'll be long ..

Back