Sawed up my stock yesterday

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimbusgb

Rather than lashing out some serious moolah on a DTS stock ( £650 )  I attacked the walnut on my Caesar Guerini Summit with a coping saw and fitted a comb raiser kit I had ordered from the US and a CG DTS Balance and recoil absorber. The Balancer just slides into the predrilled stock but the stock did need step drilling to accommodate the rear end.

I went and shot Southdown sporting this morning and improved my average scores by 10 and it would have been another 10 if I'd not messed up 2 stands. The recoil absorber is really strange, the gun 'bounces' a few times as the weights absorb the energy. The effect on recoil is quite noticeable and I'm sure I'm not not nearly as tired as usual. Wondering how I can dampen the DTS weights. The comb raiser really does get the gun in the right position.

Oh, I pulled in to Gatwick 'on the way home' for a look-see and shot my first ever attempt at DTL and got a 46 so well chuffed with that!

http://stockpositioning.com/4.25_Comb_Assembly_Step_Insert.htm 

http://abgunsmiths.co.uk/caesar-guerini-accessories-dts-kinetic.html

The hash up used to get things adjusted beforehand

post-2499-0-12750300-1404657227.jpg

Measuring and marking ( 3 times :) )

post-2499-0-16511200-1404657357.jpg

Checking clearances

post-2499-0-13702800-1404657500.jpg

Card template so that both sides are marked up the same.

post-2499-0-80965700-1404657738.jpg

Cut made and plate recess chiseled out

post-2499-0-15137800-1404658040.jpg

Recesses drilled for aluminium bushes in comb piece

post-2499-0-48202100-1404658188.jpg

The DTS just slides into the hole after the back end is step drilled to accomodate the end plate.

post-2499-0-09314400-1404657892.jpg

All back together with a quick touch of stock oil.

post-2499-0-17173000-1404658467.jpg

post-2499-0-54499900-1404658315.jpg

One comment for anyone even thinking of doing this. The coping saw and blades you use are critical,  use the best quality tools you can find, measure twice, cut once, let the tools do the work and dont try to force things. I purchased a new 'Fat Max' made by Stanley and 3 times the price of the competition. It is a complete pile of turd!

Walnut is a joy to work with!

post-2499-0-58398200-1404657069.jpg

Attachments

• IMGA0389.JPG
    IMGA0389.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0364.JPG
    IMGA0364.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0368.JPG
    IMGA0368.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0370.JPG
    IMGA0370.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0372.JPG
    IMGA0372.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0365.JPG
    IMGA0365.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0373.JPG
    IMGA0373.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0375.JPG
    IMGA0375.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0389.JPG
    IMGA0389.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGA0385.JPG
    IMGA0385.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 0
I like what you've done there, just a couple of thoughts though, you may be surprised about the difference a thicker pad will make to the rather thin one you have at present, also not sure the principal the dampener is utilising ?

Normal reducers work by lengthening the sharp recoil pulse, so if it's entirely contained within the stock then it can only really be adding weight ? 

Thicker pads make the gun too long for me Hammy. I removed the original one the gun came with in favour of a poorly fitting, thin Beretta one that the gun shop had in a drawer. I could shorten the stock and fit a deeper pad but John Jeffries reckoned there was no point in that ( yet ). I'm looking for a very low profile pad ( 5 - 8mm ) with no toe on it at all. If I can't find that I'll have to cut the foot 10 - 15mm shorter at about 5 degrees and fit a nice 20mm recoil pad.

I was not too concerned with recoil, I'm a big fat bar steward so getting the comb fit was the primary concern. That has been achieved. ( or very close now and adjustment is available )

The DTS has several sliding weights on a central shaft buffered fore and aft with 2 stage springs. The shaft rear bush rests on the inside of the shoulder pad. When the cartridge fires the shaft, attached to the stock by the rear collar moves backwards, inertia keeps the weights in place and they pump kinetic energy into the springs. As the stock slows down the springs push the weights back so the recoil pulse is absorbed and lengthened as you suggest. I reckon there's a 20% reduction in 'felt' recoil ( my completely subjective opinion )

The 'bounce' or tuning fork effect of the reducer is 'interesting' but after one or two shots it was a non event.

Thicker pads make the gun too long for me Hammy. I removed the original one the gun came with in favour of a poorly fitting, thin Beretta one that the gun shop had in a drawer. I could shorten the stock and fit a deeper pad but John Jeffries reckoned there was no point in that ( yet ). I'm looking for a very low profile pad ( 5 - 8mm ) with no toe on it at all. If I can't find that I'll have to cut the foot 10 - 15mm shorter at about 5 degrees and fit a nice 20mm recoil pad.

I was not too concerned with recoil, I'm a big fat bar steward so getting the comb fit was the primary concern. That has been achieved. ( or very close now and adjustment is available )
Re the pad sounds like you need have the stock angle adjusted, with an under cut (best get this done by a fitter) to accommodate the correct length of pull, the stock willprobably need trimming to fit a suitable pad have a look at the isis pads http://www.recoilsystems.com/greenpad/green.asp the toe can be recuded but the thinest is 11mm so thats 6mm off the stock. 

Fair play for attacking the stock yourself, looks like a tidy job, don't forget to seal the cut side of the wood and under the raiser kit as in the rain it will let water inside the wood and can cause it to swell etc.

46 at DTL from 50?  good score first time out! I would have been happy with that today..... shot like a tool for the first round and only got back to where i should be in the last round!

46 at DTL from 50? good score first time out! I would have been happy with that today..... shot like a tool for the first round and only got back to where i should be in the last round!
:) I wish !!! :) 46 off 25 clays. About evenly split between first barrel and 2nd! So just under 50%
I have layered about 3 coats of walnut stock oil on the cuts so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah 46 points rather than 46 breaks..... how many breaks? Until your hitting 20+ don't worry about which barrel or just shoot 1 cart as if you haven't hit it first barrel then your probably wasting lead on the second shot.

You are human! Don't forget to seal the cut parts of the stock.

Ah 46 points rather than 46 breaks..... how many breaks? Until your hitting 20+ don't worry about which barrel or just shoot 1 cart as if you haven't hit it first barrel then your probably wasting lead on the second shot.

You are human! Don't forget to seal the cut parts of the stock.
:) yup I noticed that on the first barrel stuff. Quick way to get through 50 carts if you are not careful! :)

Best way of stopping the 'bounce' is to use another shell, those superfast cartridges create huge breech pressures, not what you need...

Fantastic workmanship there, looking forward to seeing it this weekend

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back