Growlers Oiled stock

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmac1

Hi Guy's. Gra ask me a few weeks back if I could re-oil his stock for him (it's a bit of a hobby of mine) While he's laid off with his hip. The photos show it from the early stages of sanding, oiling, sanding, oiling and more sanding and more oiling any how after about ten day's this is the finished stock and for-end. I must say Gra it's a really nice bit of wood.http://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_05_2013/post-470-0-09277400-1369867067.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_05_2013/post-470-0-38877000-1369867087.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_05_2013/post-470-0-50390700-1369867106.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_05_2013/post-470-0-62644600-1369867139.jpg

Hope the photo's do it justice. Thanks Gra for trusting me with your pride and joy. Malc

The last two photo's are of my Heritage 2. I used Rapid Oil to do the stock the day after I bought it NEW.

post-470-0-27846200-1369867166.jpg

post-470-0-11095700-1369867695.jpg

post-470-0-36260800-1369867709.jpg

post-470-0-17642400-1369949729.jpg

post-470-0-95735200-1369949761.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Just need to say a MAHOOSIVE thanks to Malc, what a great job, can't wait to get my hands on it, it looks twice the gun now, really pleased with the result, thank you for putting in the time and effort, looks like you may have found a new direction for your skills!

Looks better than many I have seen on the prestige version, really chuffed. Top job. :thankyou:   :thankyou:   :thankyou:

Excellent job, very well done.

If I ever need mine doing I'll certainly be in touch!

Iggy.

Good job mate, I too like a stock finishing job very therapeutic I find.

What oil did you use ?

Rapid oil or did you use a red root oil with a hardner ?

Good job mate, I too like a stock finishing job very therapeutic I find.

What oil did you use ?

Rapid oil or did you use a red root oil with a hardner ?
Alkanet Root

I too am interested...

I was even more interested when I initially misread the title as "Stock Growlers, oiled" and was expecting 70's "hair cuts" and baby oil...

It's beautiful! Makes me reconsider having mine done. Maybe when I make B class I'll treat myself. 

Might be a while.
Do it yourself pal, its not difficult and very rewarding.

Do it yourself pal, its not difficult and very rewarding.
I suspect that means "Not difficult if you know how and you do it properly and take enough care over it". The hours I spent on it would not increase the value of the finished object for me. I'd rather see it done properly by someone else and have delight without  blood, sweat and tears. 

Also, I think that undervalues the skill that has gone into these pieces of work. 

+1

Always made a bloody mess......something to do with patience methinks.....not got it

Also, I think that undervalues the skill that has gone into these pieces of work. 
I can assure you that I did not wish to sound like I was "under valuing" the work at all. In fact I had previously commented on how good the work was. I merely meant that with practice and some pointers from someone who knows what there doing such as bigmac then it is possible for someone to do it at home and probably enjoy the process. But hey you read it how you want to me old pal 

I can assure you that I did not wish to sound like I was "under valuing" the work at all. In fact I had previously commented on how good the work was. I merely meant that with practice and some pointers from someone who knows what there doing such as bigmac then it is possible for someone to do it at home and probably enjoy the process. But hey you read it how you want to me old pal 
No, we got that. It's just that your point was that it's possible to do it, and my point is that it might be possible but I think I view the price to achieve the same results as much higher than you do. Therefore, I rate the skill value more highly. High, higher, highest. We're all agreed, it's a lovely piece of work. 

Had the horrible varnish finish on my old 682e removed and the stock oiled, best thing I've ever had done to a gun. I now have a restored sense of pride when shooting the gun and subsequently my scores have crept up...all in the mind ayy ..

Agreed, nice piece of work, just need to get me mits on it now and then depending on what the physio says about the hip - get out and use it :hunter:

Lovely job indeed.

I did this years ago on a Diamond Grade sporter. The hardest bit is having the balls to start. There are kits available which give comprehensive instructions and if you stick to these and have patience its a doddle. Just don't go made with the sand paper around the connection to the action. Famous last words !!

Not sure I'd have the balls to attack my MX8 though :unsure:

DT

Not sure I'd have the balls to attack my MX8 though :unsure:

DT
I had to do my eell as it got p*ss wet through at 1 day old :( at the eo DTL last year when it had very little oil on it. I was not impressed.

"There are kits available which give comprehensive instructions"

Can anybody recommend a good kit with indestructions, i shouldn't mind having a go at removing the lacquer from my grade 1 525 and oil finishing it? The lacquer dents and scratches so easily.

Latest posts

Back