Greenwood gunsmiths

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the right balance will differ from person to person and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to shoot a really high comb, but just high enough that the eye stays a little above the rib will definitely help most people to prevent head lifting.

All things being equal a flat rib picture will at best throw a 50/50 pattern so one that is a tad higher should only throw a touch higher and in no way lead to any need to factor in a shift in POI, in fact on birds such as Teal or tower incomers it would be an aid, in essence the main advantage is better all round vision (which lasts throughout the execution of the shot).

As with every set up once you settle down and shoot it a while the mind soon learns how the pattern/sight picture interact.

I see quite a lot of rib.  Was chatting with Woody on here recently about sight pictures.  For a teal that he blots out to kill I see it fully above the bead.  I never lose sight of right to left crossers, they are always above the barrel, whereas he needs to lift his head off the stock to get a clear view of them.

The place I find personally it disadvantages me is on long floaty crows.  I often over-compensate and end up shooting underneath them.

I was under the impression that since most of them shoot Trap they tend to prefer very high combs, in fact they think little of having so called 30/70 or even 20/80 set ups. 
Have you ever handled one of the most famous American guns of all time, the Remington 1100  ?  Standard LoP 14 1/4",  even more drop than a standard Miroku, yet so many people shot well with the standard, 'out of the box' gun,  myself included.  I think that possibly the style of gun mounting has changed dramatically over the years. I made a bit of a study when I ran a shooting ground (to relieve the boredom of scoring DTL) and the younger shooters were very much 'drop the head to the gun'  style of gun mounting, even when shooting 'gun down'. The older guys, myself included,  all seemed to favour the 'keep the head still (although inclined) and bring the gun to cheek and shoulder. Using this style of gun mount, I find that I shoot a lower comb than most.    

Have you ever handled one of the most famous American guns of all time, the Remington 1100  ?  Standard LoP 14 1/4",  even more drop than a standard Miroku, yet so many people shot well with the standard, 'out of the box' gun,  myself included.  I think that possibly the style of gun mounting has changed dramatically over the years. I made a bit of a study when I ran a shooting ground (to relieve the boredom of scoring DTL) and the younger shooters were very much 'drop the head to the gun'  style of gun mounting, even when shooting 'gun down'. The older guys, myself included,  all seemed to favour the 'keep the head still (although inclined) and bring the gun to cheek and shoulder. Using this style of gun mount, I find that I shoot a lower comb than most.    
I once bought a new 1100 Trap which I'm fairly sure had a Monte Carlo stock and did for once actually shoot a little on the high side. I used to be able to float going aways with it and it seemed not to need much if any flick when shooting incomers but I ended up selling it soon after because it wasn't reliable enough for one thing and just felt too cumbersome and front heavy.

I once bought a new 1100 Trap which I'm fairly sure had a Monte Carlo stock and did for once actually shoot a little on the high side. I used to be able to float going aways with it and it seemed not to need much if any flick when shooting incomers but I ended up selling it soon after because it wasn't reliable enough for one thing and just felt too cumbersome and front heavy.
I shot one of those for years, but not the full Monte, just a normal Trap stock.  They were ammo fussy but the 32 gram AA's usually did the trick, thankfully the Comps. were mostly 50 birders. It finally fell apart (internally) during a Comp in Eire and I ended up having to borrow a gun to finish the line with. I then used 3 different Trap guns to finish the Comp, a 'P' gun, a 'W' gun and finally a Miroku.

Been to see Tim.  He whittled and filed my grip, and that dropped my hand on the grip.  Shot 350 shells in the "White", ....verdict.....much better.  Scores were 'Average' as I get used to the new Grip and kick off this bloody awful XMAS Cold..  I'll take a bit more out of the grip myself and then shoot next weekend.  Then its off to see him for finishing.  He's a top Bloke, and his work on Stocks has to be seen to be believed.  He showed me his latest work on a DT10 with a Monte carlo Stock he made.  It wasn't until he said he'd put a wedge in it and a piece in the back that I realised what he had done.  His father was a Cabinet maker and this shows in his finish on the wood.  I'll add further pics once he's done!

Stock.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say.....Tim Greenwood knows his stuff. Look what he's managed to do with my very plain looking Perazzi HPX stock. 

The new fit to my hand is simply sublime. What a top bloke and a great family. The finish and grain are what I'd expect to see on a top English gun.

Thanks Tim. You have a new friend whether you like it or not. 

20190215_163100.jpg

20190215_163116.jpg

I missed this topic so coming into it late.

I agree with hamid and others, almost every gun off the rack i believe to be too low for most people, i believe comb height should be too high off the rack as a default as its easier to take off than put on. I am also an advocate of monte Carlo as i believe the fit to be more natural for most.

This is better lighting. Gun felt amazing. Less recoil probably down to a different hand position. Gun fit is perfect. It even smells nice too! 

Tim knows an awful lot about gunfit. 

20190215_181715.jpg

Tim and Laura do produce some stunning work. Always top quality.

Thats a good picture, thats great to hear your not only pleased with the finish,but the fit as well, its a credit to his(their) workman ship.

👍👍

So then, went out, still coughing and spluttering from a bout of (real) flu, and shot below par.  Nothing to do with the gun.  It was superb.  The felt and perceived recoil had diminished to a mild push. The gun felt amazing.  The subtle changes put in by Tim have transformed a gun I thought was a good fit.  It is simply sublime.

Thank you Tim and Laura.  My gun is not only a joy to look at but an absolute treat to shoot.

I can't recommend them enough.

Back