GP fees for shotgun license

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well to update on the GP fees, I ended up just ignoring the invoice and last Wednesday my SGC landed though the post box. Now off to the gun shop to pick up a gun.

That just shows what a bunch of chancers the GPs are. They send out the invoice hoping that some of us pay up whilst knowing they cannot officially charge for it. I did exactly the same as you last july .

That just shows what a bunch of chancers the GPs are. They send out the invoice hoping that some of us pay up whilst knowing they cannot officially charge for it. I did exactly the same as you last july .

That sounds similar to the scam emails we all recieve on a regular basis trying it on, Thought GP's might have slighly higher standards, Apparently some haven't :(

Sorry to resurrect this old topic but just giving a current  update.

I recently applied for SGC renewal and this morning received a letter from my local surgery saying they have received a letter from the police re grant / renewal of Firearms Cert (Not Shotgun). Anyway, usual blurb about going through my medical records and having to place marker on them.  They want to charge £144 for this service, no invoice but have asked if I can respond with 7 days if I am happy to pay the fee. Er let me think about it ??? They go on to state that if I refuse or don't respond they will not be able to carry out the Police request which may hinder my application.

I don't think it will, needless to say I'm not going to respond or pay.

Cheers

Simster, it will not hinder your application, if your local force stick to the Home Office Guidelines. The guide lines state that if a GP does not respond within 21 days to a FLOs enquiry then it is deemed that there are no issues and the application can progress, unhindered. No one is obliged to pay their GP anything.

Just re read your post, and I see you are talking about a Firearms cert, not a SGC. I don't know what the law is in that case, it may be different for firearms, but my assertion above, is certainly the case for a shotgun grant/renewal.

All the best.

Sorry to resurrect this old topic but just giving a current  update.

I recently applied for SGC renewal and this morning received a letter from my local surgery saying they have received a letter from the police re grant / renewal of Firearms Cert (Not Shotgun). Anyway, usual blurb about going through my medical records and having to place marker on them.  They want to charge £144 for this service, no invoice but have asked if I can respond with 7 days if I am happy to pay the fee. Er let me think about it ??? They go on to state that if I refuse or don't respond they will not be able to carry out the Police request which may hinder my application.

I don't think it will, needless to say I'm not going to respond or pay.

Cheers
£144 thats the highest ive heard of. in fact it could be a new record

refused to pay it and asked for a copy of my medical records . took this to the police and explained my situation that it was my view that to pay the asking fee off my GP to tell them I was ok to own a gun , was ridiculous, they were very good about it ( but have had SGC for 44years ) they even adopted a new policy of asking if any of my circumstances had changed since the last security check visit , I confirmed nothing had changed and certificate arrived with in days ..... big tick for Gloucestershire force .....bit of common goes a long way , and prevailed in my case good luck 

I know this has nothing to do with the system back in the UK but I thought I would add what happens in France to the debate. In France you are obliged to visit your doctor every year when you renew your license. When you do this they should give you a medical examination BP, heart and lungs. If you are in what your doctor considers good enough health to partake in the sport your doctor will sign and stamp the reverse side of your license and that is job done for the year. Your doctor informs nobody but those who need to see your license will be able to see you are certified by your doctor... you cannot shoot your gun anywhere without the health certificate. I actually think the system here is good compared to the UK mainly because the doctor is basing their opinion on your present health and not records which may or may not be actually relevant. The down side is this has to be done every year. The examination costs €25 but these costs are usually returned by your medical insurers. But I must add that the whole gun ownership thing is much less controlled by the police... in fact I have never seen a policeman in connection with me owning or shooting a gun... or for that matter the security aspect of my guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a confirmed date for my home visit from the met. Only 5 weeks since I sent in application so very happy. I also just got an invoice from my GP for £120! For supplying the medical records? Is it me or does this seem expensive? I have 3 daughters who all enjoy shooting, that could be expensive if they all want to apply? Any other people had a charge from the GP if so how much?
Hi, I also received a phone call from my GP asking for £30, I  phoned the firearms department and they advised me not to pay as they said they had not requested a report.

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume they contacted my doctor on renewal as I wasn’t contacted for a fee by the surgery.  I got my licence through.

My renewall is due imminantly,

I'll put money on my GP's practice  wanting to charge a fee, and moaning about the fact i'm registered with them, when i dont live within the surgery catchment area ;)

Back