Gil & Vicki

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian think of the myelin sheath as being the insulation on an electrical cable the thicker coating and wider the bore the better the current will flow and be controlled by the insulation so signalling takes place faster and also more controlled and with better reproducibility. The myelin sheath is almost complete before the end of adolescence but there is activity into adulthood. I have not and will not be reading the book as I don't read too much fiction based literature. They guy who wrote the book has made a great deal of mileage... and money out of authoring pseudo scientific books.

Macc Ladd ... now wash your hands... at least your brain is not being washed ! :)

Somebody on the "Equipement&.." "coach"section of this forum ,gjb, asked the same question I asked about the Gil's September clinic , More than that

he is interested on the eye dominance issue after Ed Lyons was very enthusiastic about Gil's method in this field.

Guess what, nobody jumped on him but also he did not get the wanted answer.!
The reason why nobody jumped on gib was he wrote "Any reviews or feedback from the OSP session at the end of September? "

When someone posted one he replied "great, many thanks" so he did get the answer he wanted and thanked the poster for it, why would anyone jump on that ?

If you had replied "great many thanks" after you received your reviews rather than trying to discredit the reviewers then maybe things would have been different. Your beef should be with Gil not the people who attended the clinic and are giving you their honest appraisal of it.

Ian think of the myelin sheath as being the insulation on an electrical cable the thicker coating and wider the bore the better the current will flow and be controlled by the insulation so signalling takes place faster and also more controlled and with better reproducibility. The myelin sheath is almost complete before the end of adolescence but there is activity into adulthood. I have not and will not be reading the book as I don't read too much fiction based literature. They guy who wrote the book has made a great deal of mileage... and money out of authoring pseudo scientific books.
A couple of articles that do suggest we increase Myelin sheathing with cognitive skill development..

Good reading and not out of line with the suggestions presented in the Talent Code! 

Practice is "learning" a skill. And some of the attached articles state that myelin sheathing continues to increase for those "pathways" we use even into adulthood.

It may increase exponentially faster in infants and adolescence (as you might expect for those that are also exponentially "learning").

How we learn and increasing understanding of skill development is not a wasted effort, for anyone that wishes to improve. The Talent Code suggests (even discounting any connection with myelin "building") different practice methods and types of skill mastery.

As Mr Coyle studied centers of exceptional skill development, his "cognitive" conclusions of "Myelinization"(even if WRONG) , does not automatically discount his conclusion of how we might increase talent. And how exceptional skill is learned. Deep Practice, being a term he coined for a particular type of practice.

I have no emotional attachment to the TALENT CODE, other than examining how I might improve my practice technique.

Likewise, his observations on how the BEST coaches "coach", are not dependent on his "neurological" assumptions. (Myelin formation) But Mr. Coyle's observations should be of interest to coaches with regard to methodology of the "best of the best", as in John Wooten at UCLA, and others.      

http://www.sv.ntnu.no/psy/bjarne.fjeldsenden/psypro102/brainmyelin.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120924152544.htm

Cheers

p.s.

I might add an aside, as a retired engineer, listening to others NEW ideas allowed me to stay current as technology progressed. (it wasn't how much I knew, as it was how much THOSE AROUND me knew! That made me better at my job.)

I also spent some time in the UK and there are cultural differences between the USA and UK with regard to change and new ideas.

That is not a "slam" on either side of the pond, just saying there are differences.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at The West London oShooting School, and we have the pleasure of training those at the orvis school in the USA , have we got it wrong? Shoot more, don't read crap!

I don't think at any time have I suggested that improved cognitive responses have not been shown to be linked to the myelin sheath. What I am saying is that I, as non expert in neuroscience but having some limited knowledge, have never seen a paper linking increased speed in learning and mastering a sport and the myelin sheath. I must also reiterate that to greatly influence the cognitive response such training would be more beneficial if given at a very young age... is Gil suddenly going to be coaching youngsters for a living ? Intensive training by repetition is nothing more than learning by practice what ever you want to call it but I still see no direct links between fast tracking to greatness in sport and the neurological pathway suggested by the author in any real scientific study. As New Scientist says it make for good reading up to the point where you start asking questions.. I have never read the book and won't be even if there were true reasons to believe one could benefit from the practice at my age the rest of the body has given up :)

In any case people who go to a shotgun coach want to know how better to shoot a moving clay target not about the mechanisms and cognitive response benefits mentioned here. As Gil said himself " it would be WAIST of his time???? I think he meant waste. What I will say is this sort of book keeps peoples minds wandering into areas of how they may get better at their chosen sport.. that could be good for it may help them to focus but there are going to be thousand of very disappointed people when the expected benefit fails to materialise.

cheers

My husband (1st) had multiple sclerosis and I can assure you that the sheath once damaged cannot be repaired or rebuilt......

....just saying

Most of my reading on the myelin sheath indicates that it is completed by very early adulthood. Sorry to hear your late husband had such a nasty wasting disease Nic horrible that anybody falls to these things.

Don't worry he is not dead yet.....I divorced him when he wanted me to give up game shooting and have kids.

Don't worry he is not dead yet.....I divorced him when he wanted me to give up game shooting and have kids.
LMAO

priceless, absolutely priceless :)

READ THE BOOK....what do you have to loose.....if understanding how the brain increases a persons ability to do something will inspire a shooter golfer sales man fisherman to practice at a higher level then that is what we want to do.....we will continue to answer questions from the sports vision scientists as to what we learn from our students.....and they will continue to tell us about why things happen and how to program the brain to get better and better.....that is just how we look at it and are getting surprising results in many fields....and helping our shooters with improving their personal live at the same time....when we began this journey we thought we were going to teach shooters how to break more targets......it has gone way beyond that.....we are really helping them become better people and live richer lives.....GA

when we began this journey we thought we were going to teach shooters how to break more targets......it has gone way beyond that.....we are really helping them become better people and live richer lives.....GA
I was nearly interested in the sports vision aspect until you came out with the above statement.

READ THE BOOK....what do you have to loose

Even in France I get Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses asking me to do just that and I ai'nt going to. I don't need a book to tell me that if somebody practices at something the will get better at it. People have been doing it for many years without someone having to write a book telling them that it works!

Its like some evangelical sermon.

No offence gil but this kind of statement does not cut it in UK we are all far to cynical for such things.

I just wonder how many of the very top shots have actually read this???? I would think none!!!
If you mean The Talent Code I think you will find more have read it than you think......(but maybe not sporters....they dont need it :laugh: )

Latest posts

Back