Gil & Vicki

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can somebody tell the difference between a debate and criticism?  In my opinion, a debate is about a concept, criticism is about a person.I was interested in the concept,

Now,back to hibernation guys . Have a good one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can somebody tell the difference between a debate and criticism? In my opinion, a debate is about a concept, criticism is about a person.I was interested in the concept,

Now,back to hibernation guys . Have a good one!
You brought your own attitude with you...your reputation on this subject preceded you on this specific topic......and we Brits get bored quickly with that sort of thing.

Over here a debate can also be full of criticism ....or discussion around a product....there is nothing wrong with not liking a product or a person ....what we do not tend to like are 'unknown agendas'.....!

....just saying :wink:

30,000 pluss students world wide and counting over last 20 years....1000s of seminar attendees......almost 1000 articles.....11 books.....and not one lesson with bill....it would be a waist of my time discussing with bill what we and science have discovered about sports vision and performance again......it would also infer that i was really concerned with what bill thought.....we agree with Ed.....In fact we are living what Ed describes....again you are waisting your time discussing this as the original poster will even contradict himself just for the sake of argument.....

lest see just this week alone in Florida...... 10 students on Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, today, and Sunday with a waiting list ..... hummmm ....sounds like we don't know what we are talking about???????

To quote Nicola............I'm just saying........

had a group of neurologists yesterday and again on Sunday and learned a lot more about how many reps it takes to produce the Myelin sheath on the Neuro-circuits in our brains.....will be sharing this on this site as soon as we understand it more and how to apply it to our passion...

more later....and thanks for all your support....cheers....

Gil Ash

30,000 pluss students world wide and counting over last 20 years....1000s of seminar attendees......almost 1000 articles.....11 books.....and not one lesson with bill....it would be a waist of my time discussing with bill what we and science have discovered about sports vision and performance again......it would also infer that i was really concerned with what bill thought.....we agree with Ed.....In fact we are living what Ed describes....again you are waisting your time discussing this as the original poster will even contradict himself just for the sake of argument.....

lest see just this week alone in Florida...... 10 students on Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, today, and Sunday with a waiting list ..... hummmm ....sounds like we don't know what we are talking about???????

To quote Nicola............I'm just saying........

had a group of neurologists yesterday and again on Sunday and learned a lot more about how many reps it takes to produce the Myelin sheath on the Neuro-circuits in our brains.....will be sharing this on this site as soon as we understand it more and how to apply it to our passion...

more later....and thanks for all your support....cheers....

Gil Ash
isn't that something?? God bless you Gil and your students. I am done!

Think I have worked the coaching game out , See the target and hit it , simple , all too complicated for my liking !!!!!

All joking apart - and certainly no dig at any coaches including the Ashes - I found that it is very easy to shoot badly straight after some tuition, because the head is so full of things to remember. I have also seen this A LOT in others. I'm not saying they don't go on to shoot better within time. It took me a long time to learn that I need a pretty calm mind to shoot well. Too much info is a barrier if unmanaged. I even hear myself calling 'pull' in a lighthearted way these days..

Think I have worked the coaching game out , See the target and hit it , simple , all too complicated for my liking !!!!!
You remind me of a recent post in the Fabulous quotes  thread -

GD coming off a stand and one of my squad asks him what were the targets like?

George's reply was, "They're OK,  just don't shoot behind them". 

Offt! I thought you were a shotgun coach ?

I have very limited knowledge of the Myelin sheath but I thought the perceived wisdom was that the majority of the development takes place prior to the completion of adolescence? That aside I, personally, think you should stick to shotgun coaching and how people can better hit a moving target and leave the complexities of the yet to be fully elucidated ramifications of the development of the myelinated axons and synapses and how they effect the speed of neural transmission in the human brain to people who know what they are talking about ... which I would be the first to admit is not me :)

In short you are a good shotgun coach stick with that !

Offt! I thought you were a shotgun coach ?

I have very limited knowledge of the Myelin sheath but I thought the perceived wisdom was that the majority of the development takes place prior to the completion of adolescence? That aside I, personally, think you should stick to shotgun coaching and how people can better hit a moving target and leave the complexities of the yet to be fully elucidated ramifications of the development of the myelinated axons and synapses and how they effect the speed of neural transmission in the human brain to people who know what they are talking about ... which I would be the first to admit is not me :)

In short you are a good shotgun coach stick with that !

jwpzx9r,

You might read the "Talent Code" to learn more about myelin sheath development. (The Talent code is by Daniel Coyle). The more we learn about how the brain functions the better you might tune "deep practice" techniques. There is NO Muscle memory, it is brain function that enables faster data transfer as we shoot targets. I believe that is why Gil is still working on understanding the brain and "learning" function!  There is more to the mental game than what "we think about"! To ignore that which is being studied concerning "brain function" as it relates to learning, is to ignore half the process!

Cheers...

Unplugged I don't doubt there may be a link but the conventional wisdom is that is would have to be applied before the lab model reached anything like approaching adolescence ? Eliminating most of the would be beneficiaries of the process? All the other stuff just thinking and learning surely ? Another thing about " The talent code " is it deals with genetic implications on human brain development and how they can be exploited, you cannot suddenly reinvent your genetic make up if you are have a learning difficulty you have a learning difficulty as yet.

Anyway none of the above applies to my assessment of what I meant when I said Gill Ash is a good shotgun coach stick at that. I mean that none of the stuff in "The talent cod"e is or has been proved as fact ... to my knowledge. And I reiterate the emphasis is on the recipient of the coaching being of a young age... which rules out nearly every person taking a shotgun coaching session here in the UK !

As to "The Talent Code"

I refer you to an opinion from the "New Scientist" which you won't find in the loo at many FITASC shoots admittedly so here it is anyway

A GLANCE at this book might persuade you the author is onto something huge. It doesn't take long, however, to realise that his unearthing of a neurological mechanism for accelerating the acquisition of talent boils down to little more than "practice makes perfect". The exercise falls especially flat if you are up to speed with research into the origins of success popularised by Malcolm Gladwell and others.

None of the above is designed to be antagonistic just my opinion and a quote or two.

jwpx9r, sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. How you dare to challenge Gil, on Myeln field??  are you out of your mind? ( quoting Gil)

Wait, you are french, that's make the things worst!,

Somebody on the "Equipement&.." "coach"section of this forum ,gjb, asked the same question I asked about the Gil's September clinic , More than that

he is interested on the eye dominance issue after Ed Lyons was very enthusiastic about Gil's method in this field.

Guess what, nobody jumped on him but also he did not get the wanted answer.!

That being said: I would like to ask Mr. Lyons who is, an authority in the field,  about what an attendee experienced at the clinic.

"There is no ‘pointing eye’ – both are equally focused on the clay – and the gun isn’t therefore lined up with either eye"

I put the question not for me, but for future clients of the clinic!

Ed Solomons I understood that you are an accomplished coach, what are your opinions about the client statement and not about Gil!

Ed Lyons can confirm if that statement is correct or not!

Came into this post late so to save me the time and confusion can someone please tell me as succintly as possible what this debate is about as in what method or theory is in question,

No idea Ian something to d with Gil and Viki Ash's coaching methods my post was in reference to a comment about neurology and the implications for gaining excellence through repetitive training and the effect on the myelin sheathing around the synapse's and so on... it has no scientifically proven basis what so ever but has a following. I call repetitive training learning by practicing as do most other observers but hey an American journalist on the NY times wrote a book soooo........ :)  

neurology and the implications for gaining excellence through repetitive training and the effect on the myelin sheathing around the synapse's and so on... i
oh, that old chestnut.......I have no idea what you just said :)

I am still reading The Talent code (158 days and counting).....I will contribute when I have finished :wink:

There is no confusion Ian ... there to my knowledge at least been no scientific paper published that conclusively links myelin sheathing with the ability to become better at a sport faster by repetitive training... but as the New Scientist states it make a good read until you look for the scientific fact in the text !

edit

If anybody had a link to a paper from a good scientific publication on the subject post a link I would be interested to have a read.

That will be interesting greater scientific minds than yours... and mine :)  have already dismissed the theory but give us your summation anyway!

Latest posts

Back