Getting started - is this unanswerable?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Garforth

Hi all,

This is a strange question given I haven't actually shot a shotgun yet... I'm just wondering what other members' experience was,and what the normal way of doing this is.

My wife and I have booked an 'experience' day for next weekend. The instructor said that its not a lesson, but then it does include time with them to go round and hit a few clays, so I'm not actually exactly sure what the difference spbetween that and a lesson exactly is...

What I was wondering was, what's the next stage or stages after that.

I presume the next logical thing after that would be a proper formal lesson, but is it then going to be about a series of lessons, or is it then about getting some practice in on an 'open' Sunday morning on a ground with 'loaned' guns..? How many lessons do people have (I imagine the answer is between 0 and as many as you can afford or can stomach, but what I'm trying to get my head around really is at what stage am I able to get out there and shoot independently?)

Of course, part of the answer about independence is about having our own guns, though I suppose in the first instance, it might be more important to have our own cartridges before guns..? In that, even if we go to an 11.6 licensed ground, we can't take any cartridges away with us un-shot unless we have an sgc? So (assuming we don't hate the experience) is there an advantage to getting an sgc as early as possible regardless of when we get guns?

Finally, how big a safe holds 1000 cartridges?

For me:

1st go - corp event at work, no shooting scheduled, but there was a setup at the venue and we spent the afternoon trying some stands. That was enough for me, loved it, was hooked.

2nd - called local ground a week after the above, asked about having a go and was told to come along. A regular attendee was enlisted to show me the basics (safety, gun mount, safety, try some different stands, more safety). It was fun, but felt that particular club was not for me, so looked for alternatives.

3rd to severalth - found someone with a setup on their farm, my brother and I went along and tried different stands and presentations.

Well and truly bitten by the sport, but work got in the way of taking it further than the above, shooting on someone's field with borrowed guns, and a very generous host.

Then a change in circumstances, applied for my SGC, had a couple of "have a go" sessions at the local club while it processed, felt a lot more comfortable there so applied for membership, bought a gun, and someone on here offered to guide me round the club (hope that gives you a sense of the spirit of this place, thanks Liz!!). Did that a few times, then it felt I was safe to go out on my own and wouldn't make a total tit of myself.

Felt I was progressing nicely, then about 6 months after getting my certificate, had a nightmare day, just couldn't hit a barn door. That triggered my first proper lesson to work out what had happened. It put me back on track nicely. Next lesson will be around trying a different discipline (trap instead of sporting).

I've had my SGC for just under a year now, I prefer to shoot with others, but escaping on my own midweek, when grounds tend to be quieter, to relieve some work stress is a real pleasure. I haven't gone in for competitions yet, but it's on the cards for this year.

Don't know how typical my experience is/was, so as the internet says YMMV.

Enjoy it!

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
On guns and carts: when I borrowed a shotgun, I shot with the owner of the gun, and they provided the ammo. Didn't buy my own carts until my first go with my own gun.

It's my understanding that carts do not need to be stored in the safe along with the gun(s), so get space for the guns and find somewhere safe, dry and warm to keep the carts. For what it's worth, I bought slabs of 250 carts to determine whether I liked them or not. Since settled on 1 type and buy those by the 1000 or more.

Apply for a SGC as soon as you decide that you will continue with the sport ,have a lesson with a good clay shooting coach don't try and run before you can walk . Forget about cartridges now all clubs have them to buy on the day . My local club will even let newcomers buy by the slab and put them in a book .( you pay for two slabs that gives you 20 boxes and you draw from them each time you go but never take them home ) not all clubs will do this though

Deershooter

Everyones a different story, I did an experience day with my Wife, she thought it was ok, I was hooked! After a lot of soul searching I decided it was a bit expensive, I already golf and mountain bike. Lo and behold on my birthday I was taken to my local gunshop and presented with a brand new Beretta sp1. What a wife!. I applied for a SGC which took 3 weeks and had a sort of lesson at a local shoot whilst I waited. been shooting 3 months now and had lots of advice but no lessons yet. I was very concerned about getting safety right and believe I am well advised in that aspect and on the correct protocols. Im happy shooting, I hit quite a few and when I feel I am readt I will have a couple of formal lessons. Love this sport!!

Lessons are a good idea but don't book a series of lessons with a coach until you've had a lesson with them as you might be wasting your money. You might want to try a few coaches before you get the right one as you might not gel with the first one. This is a good place to get recommendations and then take it from there. I wasted a lot of time/money shooting without really knowing what I was doing when I started. A decent coach will set you up with the basics and they should taylor the coaching to you. Had one lesson with someone who just kept saying 'I bet you can't miss in front'... £120 wasted. Then I went to see Ed Solomons and learned more in 2 hours than I did in the previous 6 months with other 'coaches' and on own... Wish I had gone to see him earlier.

I started at a "have a go".. Hit 22/25 and thought "I can do this!" But as I was 6 months pregnant I had to wait 2 years before I got the chance to try again. On the advice of a friend I went to Bisley Shooting Ground and had 6 lessons. I think I'd had 4 when I applied for my SGC. I then regularly shot there a couple of times a month and started shooting competition at their members shoot. I then started going to as many different shoots as I found out about - it was never a problem going on my own, wherever I went other shooters were kind and friendly and looked after me.
I would suggest finding a club near you and starting with a few lessons, apply for your SGC, and try a few different brands of gun before you buy. Don't overspend on your first gun. You will probably move on from it in about a year

Do the experience day. Bear in mind it won't be perfect as perhaps nobody will be really keeping an eye on how you are doing in terms of correct gun mount etc. but it will tell you if you like the idea or not.

Then, either give up, or if hooked, apply for your SG certificate. Get a proper lesson or shared lesson at a decent ground. Then a second lesson. You can then do some practice rounds at proper grounds (such as EJ Churchill). Have some more lessons, but intersperse with practice.

When you gave been shooting about 6+ times, and love it, look for a good used gun of a decent make. Get your instructor or similar to see you with it in the shop before buying, to ensure its about right for you. After 6 months or a year, upgrade the gun if you wish.

Practice practice practice. Have another lesson every few months to assist. Then see how you go, it may be a bit of fun with friends at low standard events or consider CPSA registered shoots, where the bug for improving really kicks in for many. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked where you are, because if you were local to me I'd invite you to pop along and shoot with us for a while. Anyway, Will Hewland has it about right for me.

But it occurred to me that at the moment you may or may not realise there are different types of clay shooting.

Keeping it simple, there are "station" based disciplines, ie "Down the line" explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down-The-Line There are a number of variations on this theme, these are generally referred to as "Trap" shooting. There is also Skeet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeet_shooting

Again in general terms, the other type of shooting is "Sporting" explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_clays

The reason I mention this, is that you may prefer one discipline over another. This will effect the best choice of gun for you (if you get that far) 

Also, as Will mentioned, you may just want to knock a few clays out of the sky on a Sunday with your mates, or you may see yourself going to the CPSA Registered sites and competing.

If you think it's going to be the former, my advice would be to seek out a smaller local "Sunday" shoot and get started there.

If however you have, or think you might develop the slightest competitive urge, then it would be best to start as you mean to go on, ie get yourself along to a site that will suit your aims. It's up to you really. Either way, there will be people on here who live in your area and will be able to point you in the right direction if you let them know which route you think you'll be going down. 

What ever discipline or route you take, do get some proper lessons to start with. This could save you £££'s buying the wrong gun. For example, you will need to establish properly which eye dominance you have as this will determine which shoulder you should shoot off. Again, people on here will be able to point you towards a good coach to get you going.

It's a great sport, whichever level or discipline you go for, enjoy!

OK I will chip in with my bit now ! I had been shooting for the thick end of two years before I bought a gun. During that time I tried Sporting, Skeet and Trap as well as having lessons. I used club guns, shooting school guns and guns which other shooters let me try out. I had decided after having tried the various disciplines, that I prefered Trap shooting, so my first gun was a trap gun and every subsequent gun has been a trap gun too. It is all too easy to get your SGC and head for the nearest gun shop, this can often be a big and often costly mistake!! If you spend time having lessons and finding out what discipline you prefer, as well as finding out what type of gun suits you best, it can save you an awful lot of trouble and money !  A good instructor/coach can guide you through the maze of what gun is what, not to mention what stock dimensions would be best for you as a beginner!! Yes it's true that all guns shoot shells and will break clays if pointed in the right place at the right time, however having the right gun for the job and one that fits properly can make a huge difference to your scores and your shooting comfort! Take your time, there is no need to rush into things, even though all those nice gleaming guns on racks are very tempting! :biggrin:

OK I will chip in with my bit now ! I had been shooting for the thick end of two years before I bought a gun. During that time I tried Sporting, Skeet and Trap as well as having lessons. I used club guns, shooting school guns and guns which other shooters let me try out. I had decided after having tried the various disciplines, that I prefered Trap shooting, so my first gun was a trap gun and every subsequent gun has been a trap gun too. It is all too easy to get your SGC and head for the nearest gun shop, this can often be a big and often costly mistake!! If you spend time having lessons and finding out what discipline you prefer, as well as finding out what type of gun suits you best, it can save you an awful lot of trouble and money !  A good instructor/coach can guide you through the maze of what gun is what, not to mention what stock dimensions would be best for you as a beginner!! Yes it's true that all guns shoot shells and will break clays if pointed in the right place at the right time, however having the right gun for the job and one that fits properly can make a huge difference to your scores and your shooting comfort! Take your time, there is no need to rush into things, even though all those nice gleaming guns on racks are very tempting! :biggrin:
+1 to this - done it myself  :fie:

I started with a stag do / have a go, -  Absoloutly hated it,  one size gun, heavy carts, and little support  other than behind, infront etc  wasnt impressed

A year later i did a similar event at a sporting ground,  what a revelation,

After the basics of gun saftey etc  we covered

Gun fit & mount

Stance

And then detailed instruction on where to see the clay, lead, kill point etc.

Thats what got my mate and then me hooked.  

I regularly go to the same ground with groups of work colleagues and family.

Many have remarked on how friendly they are, tailoring the sessions and approach to match the group :)  

go and have your experiance,   post back what you thought, and then have another go to make sure :)

:santa:

Agreed that some of these stag do things are designed to make you never want to shoot again. A proper have a go at a decent ground is a good taster.

Tinker bell said:
Hey Will....saw your idea on classification got discussed at the Board meeting in October....I could not find the thread about it....but....computer said Noooooooo

Read it online in minutes.

Nice try though.
Oh! Must have been serious, as they didn't even ask me to explain or discuss! Oh well. An idea, not a passion..

Tinker bell said:
You can read what they said in the October minutes if you get a minute today and have exhausted all other forms of having fun :laugh:
Ta. To be found where?

Ta. Quick look shows they discussed nothing in relation to my system at all. Just the ideas of reference to high gun or some sort of handicap. (Both flawed in my view).

Yes, bottom of page 3. Nowt to do with anything I had suggested.

I did also email them a while back regarding viewing sim pairs which they said they would discuss. They mention December in these notes. Where is that set of minutes?

Back