Get them bought now

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Powell

Staff member
I have it on good authority from someone senior in the industry that there will be some hefty rises in cartridge prices in the new year together with ongoing rises through 2017.

There's various reasons for this, not least the weakness of the pound post EU referendum.

If you can afford it and have the space, buy now.

What, more than the big hike that already happened in the last few weeks? This may start to curb people's ability / wish to buy as many, which defeats the object in business of course..

What, more than the big hike that already happened in the last few weeks? This may start to curb people's ability / wish to buy as many, which defeats the object in business of course..
Yep.. Absolutely.. It's going back to the 1980's when Clay sbooting was extortionate.  Even though I was keen and could afford it  the Bang for Buck just didn't work. 

Pleas don't say that the costs arn't bad compared to the past. All comparisons are done on the 1980's which I have already said was stuipidly expensive. 

My local shop told me the two cheapest cartridges Gamebore Kents and Ely Firsts were pretty much loss leaders and have been discontinued by the manufacturers. I only buy fibres so only remember those prices.  Anyway, the gamebore were £148 per K, the Ely £140.

With those gone the next cheapest gamebore is velocity at £168 per k, and when the current pallet runs (which they have since) the price will be £175 per k.

The only brand not putting prices up now is Fiocchi.  The cheapest are the Top 1's at £168, but i'm sure once the rest of the market has increased their prices, they will follow suit.

I just spoke to Just Cartridges and they've confirmed that the prices are going up as of 1st Jan. They're not going up as much as the English makes with a rough approximation of £10 per thousand. 

If you look back to mid 2013 the pound got you aprx 1.2 euro's and shells were priced lets say for example £145 ..1,000 by stages of 2015 the pound bought you 1.42 euro's ...so why did the price not reduce then ???? those said shells were already gaining price for ..lead, plastics etc....now , oil,lead and plastics have stabilized at a 2013 price and lower !! so one can surmise it can only be the exchange rate , ?? so if the pound now only buys you 1.17 euros now ? yet the price was (as example prev) £145 ...said shell is now aprx £165.+....this comes close to a 14% rise ??? but the % difference in the price of the euro/pound from 2013-2016 is aprx 2% .......or have I missed the plot here somewhere ??? please feel free to educate me in the ways of commerce and business practices,....   :huh:  

slowly pricing me out of the sport.....with an 8 month old baby in arms and a first house/mortgage in the very near future I do wonder if I'm going to be able too afford it let alone be able to justify it to the other half.

I love shooting and I will be so gutted if i have to give it up  :cry:

Have cartridges prices, which it is claimed rise / increase due to the volitility of commodity prices rise, have ever "fell" this I doubt. 

Prices in this minor of minority sports will I fear always rise, it's the sharpness off some of the cartridge rises that's often an eye opener. 

I still find a days clay shooting less expensive than a day out (as a spectator) at a professional  sporting event, is shooting cheap? no, for my circumstances do I consider my shooting good value? Very much so, yes had the odd day where id wished id stayed away, that's a very rare event, and its helped me appreciate the far more regular positive experience I get when I am out and about.

Sorry rambled on a bit.

My guess is a decent quality competition cartridge (Eley Superb/Hull Pro One/Express Pro Comp) will be nudging £300 per thousand within the next 18 months. There won't be anything other than the odd bin end clearance for less than £200.

I have some sympathy with the manufacturers. They have a delicate line to tread. They're being hit on all sides when it comes to sourcing the materials at a reasonable price. They have to run their businesses profitably whilst being careful not to alienate folks like you and I. As if this wasn't enough, Brexit is a huge self inflicted blow with an IPPR prediction last week that our economy will be in the doldrums for 10 years or more.  

As Lee Ermey put it, 'it's a giant sh*t sandwich and we've all got to take a bite'.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is a decent quality competition cartridge (Eley Superb/Hull Pro One/Express Pro Comp) will be nudging £300 per thousand within the next 18 months. There won't be anything other than the odd bin end clearance for less than £200.

I have some sympathy with the manufacturers. They have a delicate line to tread. They're being hit on all sides when it comes to sourcing the materials at a reasonable price. They have to run their businesses profitably whilst being careful not to alienate folks like you and I. As if this wasn't enough, Brexit is a huge self inflicted blow with a prediction last week that our economy will be in the doldrums for 10 years or more.  

As Lee Ermey put it, 'it's a giant sh*t sandwich and we've all got to take a bite'.
WOW...what a statement, I just bought an Italian shell, I'd say Pro One equivalent or better for £199/k...so you think it will jump by 50% by July 2018??? I'll stand corrected if it does, but I don't think so!!!

p.s. Hull made a HUGE profit last year according to company house...

have to agree with James, I doubt the increase will be so much. Having said that who is to know what will happen when we wave goodbye to eu

Hull Pro One's, as an example, are presently £230ish per 1000. Express Pro Comp are a similar price. With a 5% rise in the new year together with the predicted further rises beyond that £300 before the end of 2017 is a very real possibility. 

Watch this space...

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at it this way.... prices rise in EVERYTHING be that fuel, food, houses, cars, bikes, guns, cartridges (you name it) there will i suspect NOTHING cheaper than it was say 10yrs ago.

You just have to accept it and deal with it - we (people in general) shop around for nearly everything (and if you do not your crazy and should do), utility prices, insurances, car prices when buying a new one, mortgage rates - so simply apply the same method to your hobby (in this case shooting) and shop around, be that cartridges and grounds. There is absolutely no need to be paying £200+ for cartridges if its an issue or you do not want to - i spent the last 2 years shooting a shell that cost £155 retail and have broken most targets with them. Trust me i did not miss because the cartridges were cheap / no good - i missed because i put the gun in the wrong place. 

Of course wages rise too will compensate / offset some of the increases. Yes i realise i am lucky in that i work in a factory and they pay me a % shift premium, overtime is regular available and i get an annual pay rise......but.....

If the costs outweigh the enjoyment / value or affordability you just cut your cloth to suit. I made the decision a while ago to cut out "donating" to the prize fund saving me typically £5 per hundred - that means every 5 - 7 shoots in effect i get a "free" B/O entry.

I did not travel abroad to shoot in 2016 and it's looking unlikely in 2017 aswell - in fact i am likely to cut out some major UK shoots in 2017 as it gives me more weekends shooting standard registered targets for the same money.

A CPSA championship typically costs £45-£50 per hundred where a standard B/O registered will cost me say £30 - so 2 championships OR 300 registered targets?

A NSSA championship typically costs £40 per hundred (400 a weekend = £160) where a standard B/O registered will cost me say £30 so 1 championship weekend or 500 registered targets over 5 weekends?

If the grounds / associations and manufacturer's need to increase prices then so be it - if that means i shoot less / stop shooting so be it. That is their gamble and trade off to take not mine as life will go on. 

It is for 95% just a hobby - frequency and participation vary while we do other things in life which are more important or enjoyable at the time. 

Latest posts

Back