Fun Cabinet In New Build House

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Salmon

So I'm posting here as I still consider myself a new shooter and this is possibly a bit of a nooby question!

So I currently share a gun safe with my step father, which is perfectly fine, however him and my mother are now moving further away so I need to have it at mine.

My problem is however that I live in a new build house with hollow walls, everything is plasterboard.

What ways have people managed to secure a gun safe so that it will pass the inspection? I would keep it in the 3rd story of my house in a cupboard, but I know it still needs to be secured.

Any help is appreciated, or if someone down south has had a similar issue and could show me I can pay in beer!

The Salmon!

New build external walls are dry lined, solid block with plasterboard stuck onto it with dabs of drywall adhesive. Mine is like this.I just drilled thru and used 20mm or so longer bolts to fix with. It was fine because I built the house and know how many dabs there are.If your contractor was a little cost conscious then the dabs may be er........ further apart. If this is the case then you can cut out the plaster board to the size of the cabinet and bolt straight to the blockwork.

If it's a internal stud wall your wanting to fix the cabinet you can get a stud finder from you local diy store. Find the stud work and use coach bolts into that. 

If fixing to a stud wall and studs are too far apart to drill into both, find studs, screw a piece of ply to both, fix cabinet to ply (and to one stud). Best bet is to do it inside a built in wardrobe or cupboard and put ply across whole width (and height) of one wall so it can't be crowbarred off the wall. Then cut an L shaped piece of play to fit around cupboard and again to cover rest of wall so that the cabinet can't be levered off the ply.

Rupert is right. I also live in a new(ish) house built as he describes (I'm a Building Surveyor) I offered the cabinet up to the external wall, marked the holes and drilled a 25 mm hole with a hole cutter. Then drilled into the block, and used resin anchors to secure the bolts. The cabinet was slipped onto the bolts before the resin went off and left it there (supported underneath) until the resin went hard. I then marked up the bolts to the correct length, slid the cabinet off, trimmed the bolts and then refitted it using some oversized washers between the cabinet and the plasterboard, perfect. 

I used a cupboard next to an external wall , cut out the plasterboard and sunk the cabinet and bolted directly to the external wall ,I then trimmed round the cabinet, maybe a little overboard but it looks good is very secure and leaves a lot more space in the cupboard as there's only about 3' of the (2x)cabinet sticking out.

Think I used kemfix to chemical resin the large threaded studs into the blocks. My house is three years old so no your pain 

As others have said drill threw and sleeve anchor into the external wall. 

I then offered the safe up to the wall and with a pencil drew around it and then took it off the wall. I then drilled two collums of three holes in the plaster board (top middle bottom) and sprayed in some expanding foam, very carefully and put the safe back on and fastened it up, two hours latter I tightend the safe up against the wall and this gave a solid face to pull the safe up against. But be carefull as you dont want to burst the paster board !

ATB

Matt 

I just used one of these kits

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/brattonsound-gun-cabinet-bolts-drill-bit/product

Straight through the plasterboard into the thermalise block external wall, job jobbed! I also screwed the cabinet in to the floor board with 10mm section woodscrews and the FAO was very happy. I had 'sticks like s**t' glue sealer ready to bead around the cabinet where it joined the wall and floor if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just used one of these kits

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/brattonsound-gun-cabinet-bolts-drill-bit/product

Straight through the plasterboard into the thermalise block external wall, job jobbed! I also screwed the cabinet in to the floor board with 10mm section woodscrews and the FAO was very happy. I had 'sticks like s**t' glue sealer ready to bead around the cabinet where it joined the wall and floor if needed.
​tad overpriced available http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/heavy-duty-fixings/cat840012#category=cat7290063 at half the price!

the way i'd go about it is 

cabinet in place and wall marked 

cabinet out of the way 

12mm hole drilled through plaster board 50-75mm into the brick block 

holes blown/hoovered out 

cabinet back into place checking your holes line up! 

tube of this http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-polyester-resin-175ml/53359

fill the holes with it 70/75% don't over do it too much putting a stud into each hole as you go making sure it hits the back of the hole 

Studs here >> http://www.screwfix.com/p/studs-m10-x-130mm-pack-of-5/17513

wind the nuts down hand tight mark just after the nut, remove the nuts and washers 

slide the cabinet out of the way chop the studs on the mark dremel, hacksaw small grinder 

cabinet in fasten it back make sure either the nuts sit behind the gun slots or cap the nuts 

job done!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not overpriced at all , it includes the drill bit too.
​bargain then! 

the problem is what they describe doesn't even make sense 

M10 Impactor Plus Drill Bit Features :

• Size - 16mm Width 150mm Length
is it M10 or a 16mm drill bit? 

Back