fitness

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was listening to a radio interview recently, Amber Hill was talking about this [fitness and shooting] and she says she's far better now that she's fitter. As I'm neither as good looking or as good a shot as she is, I'm off to the pub, anyone want a pork pie? :good:

looking at how good some top international trap shooters are who are not too fit looking I will join you for aforesaid pint and pie and consider it training

i feel and shoot better when i am lighter and have the impetus when i am in the gym and like to push myself...lost 3 stone in 3 months in the spring.

unfortunately i also have the ability to consume large quantities of good healthy food and red wine so unfortunately in the last 6 months i have put on 3 1/2 !!!

time for new years resolutions :angel:

I lost just over 4 stone last year as part of an effort to get more fit - I found it really helped my shooting from the perspective of feeling better when I arrive on a peg (think - walking up the hill at Westfield) - it affected my gun fit a lot, and I had some help to put about half in inch in my stock on a temporary basis.  I think it helped with breathlessness and also helped my control my Type 2 diabetes, which in turn made me feel better generally.  I went down two sizes in trousers, and was very happy with a positive change for middle age. 

I've probably definitely put a bit back on over Christmas and will be hitting the gym and repairing my diet in the next weeks to try and get a bit of weight shifted before the end of the winter break. 

For me being fit and healthy makes just about everything easier. Healthy body = healthy mind, and this sport is a mind game (or mind f**k, not sure which sometimes!) Im one of those people who only has to look at a pork pie to pile on the pounds unfortunately so work hard to keep it off. Every time I have let my weight increase my shooting has definitely suffered. Seems to be my chubby cheeks (face) that take on the weight first which buggers my gun fit up.

Being fit you don't get tired as early. The walks don't take it out of you quite so much. But one of the nice things about shooting is that your fitness can be low and you can still participate. The last shoot I did when  quite pregnant I had a light folding stool for sitting on and my cartridge bag was on a little luggage trolley. I got around very nicely. mind you, the rest of my squad  were worse than me and we had a tea break half way through! 

Looking at our most successful shooter, the wrong side of 20 stone appears to be 19 stone.
You need the ballast to shoot white golds !   

I'm pretty unfit these days. (About to go for a walk now, which is much needed..). Sounds daft but I benefit from moving my shoulders around and waving my arms around before shooting the first stand or after waiting. Look like a weirdo, but the gun does feel better in my arms after that.
Thanks Will, you have just solved a mystery for me. I have noticed people  making such gesticulations when I am exiting the stand carrying my auto 'at the trail'. I thought that it may have been something that I had done, but now I realise they are just 'warming up'. Thanks for clearing that up.    :bye:

Latest posts

Back