fitness

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

well I bet we have all over done the fire water and mince pies  again ,   I was wondering  if any of my fellow  clay shooters  did any fitness work of any kind  to enhance their  shooting performances ,  I know a few young uns   hit the gym , but what about  us old gits ?   I walk a lot  at work  plus I am lucky being a natural athlete  :eek:    so what's your  take on this  ?   

Got a bottle of Johnnie Blue for Christmas, over did that. Mince pies, turkey, ham, Xmas pud, brandy butter and custard, christ I even had too many brussel sprouts!

I don't make new year resolutions but i am going to have to do something!

I think this is one of those sports where you can eat as much as you like as long as you give things the right lead. 

Speaking as someone the wrong side of 20 stone I find that iam breathing so heavily after a short walk to a stand that I cannot hold the gun straight.I need to get to the gym asap if I put in the work I should be around ten stone by march/April ready for Essex masters.

I too am not in good shape and am an 18.7st lump (short for my weight at 5'8")! Speaking as someone who was once was very fit, I would say being in shape will help the majority (there will always be the exception to the rule, before people shout about big "D")! The one thing I find that being in shape does, is my brain gets fitter too! I'm able to be more nimble mentally and process information, visual pictures etc, much faster than when I'm out of shape.

Getting in shape is one of my key opportunities this season!

Speaking as someone the wrong side of 20 stone I find that iam breathing so heavily after a short walk to a stand that I cannot hold the gun straight.I need to get to the gym asap if I put in the work I should be around ten stone by march/April ready for Essex masters.
Looking at our most successful shooter, the wrong side of 20 stone appears to be 19 stone.

I have to keep fit for work, and have a medical exam twice a month, so fitness not a problem, however I do find I shoot better with an extra couple of KG's on!!

mike

After putting on a few extra pounds over the last week,  (cant work out why though? ;) )

I need to trim a little bit off,   might have to do some counting and walking  over the next few months .

:santa: x

Great topic. As an addition how many warm up before shooting? I have seem posts where people always say they need a stand or two to get in the swing. How much of this is getting into mind set and how much is it loosening off muscles and warming up? I personally think fitness is good and for shooting Yoga would be of benefit. Good for the swing and good for the mind.

I'm pretty unfit these days. (About to go for a walk now, which is much needed..). Sounds daft but I benefit from moving my shoulders around and waving my arms around before shooting the first stand or after waiting. Look like a weirdo, but the gun does feel better in my arms after that.

I started at the gym back at the middle of October. if i'm honest, the main things I have noticed is that my upper body movement has improved, and that my gun fit has changed somewhat.

plus, walking between stands has become a little easier.

worth baring in mind though, I was just over 20 stone and am now just under 19 stone, so I have lost over a stone in weight.

for the slightly older generation, basic cardio such as walking and some well thought out stretching would more than likely be of some benefit.

I'm pretty unfit these days. (About to go for a walk now, which is much needed..). Sounds daft but I benefit from moving my shoulders around and waving my arms around before shooting the first stand or after waiting. Look like a weirdo, but the gun does feel better in my arms after that.
I thought you were having seizures and it wasn't polite for anyone to mention it...

Physical, and particularly mental fitness is important. With the possibility you may have to shoot 300+ targets including shoot-off's a certain level of fitness is required. There's no need to be an athlete but maintaining a decent cardiovascular standard will only benefit your game. Avoiding excessive amounts of alcohol the night before and a fry up before shooting will help too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have been in training for the last 10 years I'm now nearly as big as George Digweed but still cannot shoot like him !

joking apart George might be big but he is still fit ,he shoots 3-4 shoots a day in the height of the season most of us would be flagging after that 

i have also seen Nick Hendrick shoot with a hangover from hell and still beat us all 

Deershooter 

damn, that's part of my training regime!!!!
me too mate.

stuff it , I am of course super fit now that I have a dog AND I have the body of an Adonis but even if its not true (which it isn't) I ain't wearing Lycra so cycling is out and I aint sharing a changing room with load of sweaty blokes, so gym is out and as for jogging well that's just for weirdos with nothing better to do (have you ever seen a jogger who looks like they are enjoying it ??)

There must be some benifit to this fitness job,being game season i have not done much clay shooting over winter but got time to pop down doveridge on monday for some abt practice and after a 100 i could feel the arms and back getting tired.

Latest posts

Back