First time shooter.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

525kev

Took a friend to sporting targets today as he expressed a desire to have a go at clays.

He's never fired a Gun before so just having started recently myself i was able to give him some safety pointers and then the moment came for him to pull the trigger.

It's not easy trying to tutor someone when your average is less than...well average :rolleyes: funny thing was i hit more than i do usually showing him how to do it....Strange that !

I must admit it was quite rewarding watching his reaction when he pulled the trigger for the first time and a rather large smile dawned on his face :)

It was around his 10th clay when he struck gold and i knew he was hooked.

Apparently he's filling in an application later today with me as his ref, So another shooter is born !!

Just as well some are talking about leaving the Forum then, we would all be tripping over each other  !      :smile:

Took a friend to sporting targets today as he expressed a desire to have a go at clays.

He's never fired a Gun before so just having started recently myself i was able to give him some safety pointers and then the moment came for him to pull the trigger.

It's not easy trying to tutor someone when your average is less than...well average :rolleyes: funny thing was i hit more than i do usually showing him how to do it....Strange that !

I must admit it was quite rewarding watching his reaction when he pulled the trigger for the first time and a rather large smile dawned on his face :)

It was around his 10th clay when he struck gold and i knew he was hooked.

Apparently he's filling in an application later today with me as his ref, So another shooter is born !!
Happy days. He will probably get his licence through before me   :baby:

Happy days. He will probably get his licence through before me   :baby:
SGC is normally a long wait these days........FAC is even worse and there are more hoops to jump through as well. 

SGC is normally a long wait these days........FAC is even worse and there are more hoops to jump through as well. 
Tell me about it Les 7 months yesterday i applied :eek: according to Merseyside police they are still going through Septembers applications. I had my interview 6 weeks ago and the police have spoken to my referee so i dont know why it still hasn't come through. She did say the renewals are being processed first but i cant imagine there is 7 months worth of renewals in the Merseyside area.

Tell me about it Les 7 months yesterday i applied :eek: according to Merseyside police they are still going through Septembers applications. I had my interview 6 weeks ago and the police have spoken to my referee so i dont know why it still hasn't come through. She did say the renewals are being processed first but i cant imagine there is 7 months worth of renewals in the Merseyside area.
Unfortunately most licensing departments are under funded and under staffed. Shooters are not seen as a priority, the powers that be make more money by funding more speed cameras !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately most licensing departments are under funded and under staffed. Shooters are not seen as a priority, they make more money by funding more speed cameras !!!
Crazy !!! 153.603 firearms and shotgun certificates were issued in 2015 if you base them all on the shotgun certificate fee that's nearly £11 million a year. i can imagine speed cameras to generate 10x more than that easily. Shame really as i could still be refused for whatever reason but i have still had to wait all this time.

Crazy !!! 153.603 firearms and shotgun certificates were issued in 2015 if you base them all on the shotgun certificate fee that's nearly £11 million a year. i can imagine speed cameras to generate 10x more than that easily. Shame really as i could still be refused for whatever reason but i have still had to wait all this time.
It is unlikely that you will be refused, they need a very good reason to refuse you a ticket! OK if you have been convicted of a violent crime or have had mental health issues then you may get refused, but if you've been generally law abiding and are not a raving loony then you should be fine.  :lol:

It is unlikely that you will be refused, they need a very good reason to refuse you a ticket! OK if you have been convicted of a violent crime or have had mental health issues then you may get refused, but if you've been generally law abiding and are not a raving loony then you should be fine.  :lol:
He will be out then!  :lol:

I did hear the other day at a clay ground that part of the process not advertised to us mortals is keeping an eye on Forums such as this one to see if any applicants are making derogatory comments and generally Bitchin about the process.

BUT

You should be ok if your avatar likeness doesen't reflect your application photo then they can't link the 2 :)

I did hear the other day at a clay ground that part of the process not advertised to us mortals is keeping an eye on Forums such as this one to see if any applicants are making derogatory comments and generally Bitchin about the process.

BUT

You should be ok if your avatar likeness doesen't reflect your application photo then they can't link the 2 :)
I've got no chance then !!!!  :wink:  but it does explain the long wait  :D

:angel: would anybody in their right mind give a scouser a gun license !

I thought you was going to leave me alone for 2 days!!!! I want that £2.50 back for the butty.  :wink:

By the way dave I felt them 36g loads this morning when I woke up. 

Hmmmmmm,  he has been associating with BT though, (NOT the telephone Company either )

HEY, HEY, careful now, I'm a Scouser AND I can spell licence too !

I thought you was going to leave me alone for 2 days!!!! I want that £2.50 back for the butty.  :wink:

By the way dave I felt them 36g loads this morning when I woke up. 

At £ 410 a thou theres your butty  :lol:

I started Shooting beginning of Feb.

Applied mid-Feb, and the licence was on my doorstep exactly 4 weeks after sending the application. 

Latest posts

Back