First steps in Surrey

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanR

I have got into clay shooting through a friend, who was really keen to start earlier this year & encouraged me to go with him to Bisley for lessons. 

Typically, what has happened is that while I have put in the gun cabinet, sent in certificate application, had the FLO visit & had the certificate granted, my friend's business is occupying him to the point where he is yet to even put in in his application, let alone buy a cabinet. So I am pretty much on my own for now.

I can keep going to Bisley for lessons, but it will be a fairly solitary activity. Can anyone recommend a friendly shoot or club in Surrey where I can start to get some practice & is welcoming to new shooters?

There's Horne CPC (clayandcountry.com) over towards Reigate, meet at weekends.  My experience of them was not that great, but you may well fare better.

If you can be bothered to schlepp up to Hertfordshire (I used to live in Reigate, but no longer), A1 (just off the M25, J23), or Atkin Grant and Lang (closer to Luton) are worth a go.  I try to do my shooting midweek, happy to meet you there if you want someone to shoot with.

Might also be worth having a look at this thread: '&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Yes, you are already shooting at Bisley, so wander along to Bisley gun club! There are one or two of their members on here, but you will soon find new mates once you've been there once or twice.

PS....I think Bisley Gun Club may even be a member on here!!!! 

PPS....Yes Bisley Gun Club is a member on here, just checked it! Give it a go, you have nothing to lose mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - take a look at our 'Who is where this Sunday' thread.... most members of the forum would be happy to make a new friend for a shoot. 

More than happy to meet up if we're at local shoots. 

Matt

This is the right thing to do. I wasted years not shooting much, waiting for friends to get their act together. Just go and you will soon meet people.

Ideally you need a friendly small place and I'm sure you will get some Surrey advisors along soon. Also, you can just turn up at Horne (Gatton Bottom) and shoot 100 for £32. See their website for fixtures. Get a few lessons, but intersperse this with some practice too.

Enjoy

When I started shooting with my lad , we started at Newdigate and Horne , both of which are on this weekend I believe . They are nice friendly shoots and good places to start and meet others . Newdigate is 70 bird fibre ( 8) and Horne is either .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm a Surrey shooter who started shooting at Bisley SG. I started on my own so I used to go to their monthly members shoot (3rd Sunday of the month) I would just turn up alone but people are happy to adopt you if you are on your own and look like you want company. I also used to shoot skeet and DTL over the other side of the car park at the NCSC. You just turn up and join in with someone else. Tell them if you haven't done it before and people will look after you. There is also a Saturday gun club - Bisley GC?- at the Ncsc if you want to do more trap. If sporting is more your thing then Horne at Gattom Bottom or Court Farm are both just off the M25.
There is a shoot at Headley Down which is Reigate way and also the Star Club at Chessington is open to non members now - 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month.
I think there is a Saturday shoot in Guildford but I haven't been and there is also Ian Huggins shoots on Saturdays at Cobham and Willingshurst - I can give you his number.

If you want to shoot this Saturday I'm going on my own to a Charity Shoot at Owls Lodge - the Faulds's ground off the A303 - I am happy to take you with me (but you will have to wear pink - shoot rules)

Mmmmm Mmmmmmmmmm.

A lady shooter called Gnasher.

Interesting.

I should take your mum with you.

Please re-post so that we know you ok.

I have a pay and play membership at Bisley and have only been shooting a matter of months, I'm happy to meet up with you. I have been looking at joining http://www.mainstonehillsg.co.uk/  seems to have an active membership and is busy at the weekends.

PM me if you would like to meet up?

Hickstead has a 100 bird sporting this saturday i believe  

Owls lodge in Hants has a 100 bird think pink shoot (conditions apply ;) )  on Saturday  

loads of others about,

:santa:   :)

Lots of us at owls lodge as well if you want company... You have to wear pink though.... Charidee innit.

Don't understand the problem when i started in 86 i rang my local trap club said i wanted to have a go at this shooting mallarkey bloke said come down on Thursday so i did. Bloke says here is a club gun here are two boxes of cartridges, Albert will you stand behind this young man while he has a go. First target killed 17x25 dtl done, hooked for life. That very first shoot i made three friends for life many to follow.

point is you will never meet nicer people than at a shooting ground so doesn't matter if your on your own.

Shooters are the salt of the earth.

I have to say that shooting doesn't seem to have the same type of clubs I have experienced in my past when I used to sail and fence. With the exception on this forum.

My typical experience of a club and you all put in time to run it and support the members. There are some dedicated facilities and while you can pay for courses often people give their time to help new members find their way. It seem shooting clubs offer a membership that really only let you access the ground and or paid for shooting. 

Unless I'm missing something...?

Thank you to everyone here - some brilliant suggestions and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer, particularly those that have extended personal invitations. I am overwhelmed by the number of options, so I will be working my way through all the locations and timings, and then trying to find the time to visit as many as I can.

This has been really encouraging, thank you!

Gosterwood have a Sunday shoot a couple of times a month down near Ewhurst, I think it's usually a 75 sporting and ok if your starting and not expecting to win money..!

I have to say that shooting doesn't seem to have the same type of clubs I have experienced in my past when I used to sail and fence. With the exception on this forum.

My typical experience of a club and you all put in time to run it and support the members. There are some dedicated facilities and while you can pay for courses often people give their time to help new members find their way. It seem shooting clubs offer a membership that really only let you access the ground and or paid for shooting. 

Unless I'm missing something...?
There are some of these about but I don't know many or where they are up your way.  I belong to one on Dartmoor where we take it in turns to do the trapping with manual traps, buy the clays ourselves etc. Most on here would call those straw balers as distinct from professional grounds with a membership run for a profit.  Straw balers are often thought to be easier and so suitable for beginners but my lot are very devious and throw some very difficult clays made more difficult by the wind on Dartmoor so sometimes they can have a demoralising effect.  You will get better help going to better grounds IMHO.

Latest posts

Back